Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009

Originally Posted by HercAC View Post
It’s like taking an Uber from Wisconsin:

https://youtu.be/McZ2H_Iqx4g
Old 01-20-2019, 08:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

I once , when about halfway to the terminal having landed on 9L and at a complete stop behind traffic waiting to cross what was 30L made a PA asking if anyone had exact change for the toll booth. It got a laugh out of several passengers on the way out. 10R is worse now and completely ridiculous.
Old 01-21-2019, 01:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B737 CAPT IAH

Originally Posted by oldmako View Post
It's been about 15 years since I've been on it. I thought that was a big UA thing for FOD. It seems like I've done that on every plane I've flown here. I have no recollection of Boeing's limitations.
WRT Reverse on the 737, the procedure in the FM is to reach reverse idle setting by taxi speed to exit the runway. HOWEVER, you stow the the reverses once the engines have spooled down to REVERSE IDLE!

It takes awhile to spool down from max reverse. I’m exiting the runway at SNA, EGE, etc., and the buckets are still out as the motor is still spooling down. Stow them when at reverse idle per the book. Works great.

Flaps 40 and AB MAX work great too folks.

We don’t know what happened and I won’t say it was the fault of the design or pilot error. Just saying fly the aircraft per the FM.

Glad no one was hurt!

Lee
Old 01-22-2019, 05:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2016

Originally Posted by robthree View Post
For my fellow Guppy FOs, the last two times I went into Chicago in wintery conditions my Captains briefed the ILS to 9R or 9L per the ATIS. I inquired about braking action and runway condition at turn off, and after the suggestion of a longer runway both agreed that 10C was a better choice in the conditions. It made for a much longer taxi in, which wasn't ideal, but on one of the two occasions, the slippery turn off on 10C made my Captain say, "Wow! Glad we changed to the long runway."

Your Captain has more experience, but they will listen to your input. Don't be afraid to suggest a more conservative action if you think its appropriate. You're going for the same ride they are!
10C seems to usually have a 3 in there when all other runways are 5s and it seems to be only bad at the high speed exits
Old 01-22-2019, 05:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

Originally Posted by Simpsons View Post
10C seems to usually have a 3 in there when all other runways are 5s and it seems to be only bad at the high speed exits
That day, 10C surface was pretty good. The high speed turn-off was almost like a hockey rink. First time I have had the whole plane sliding, with max braking. Luckily, I knew the conditions were awful, and slowed down a lot, and gave myself a lot of room to make the turn, so uneventful. First time I have taxied, for part of it, with NO taxi centerline/edgelights, NO lines, just a giant patch of white snow...
Old 01-23-2019, 06:22 AM
Stuck Mic

Joined APC: Dec 2013

Unless you want to replace the FO seat cushion, please realize the high speeds in conditions like that are no longer high speeds. A lot of high speeds aren’t grooved. They aren’t as clean as the runway and therefore will be more slick. Get to a slow taxi speed on center line and safely get to the gate.
Old 01-23-2019, 12:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

Originally Posted by Firsttimeflyer View Post
Unless you want to replace the FO seat cushion, please realize the high speeds in conditions like that are no longer high speeds. A lot of high speeds aren’t grooved. They aren’t as clean as the runway and therefore will be more slick. Get to a slow taxi speed on center line and safely get to the gate.
GREAT Advice!!!