Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Union Talk
[Right to Work Lawsuit Related to Aviation] >

[Right to Work Lawsuit Related to Aviation]

Notices
Union Talk For macro-level discussion: legislation, national unions, organizing pilot groups, etc.
For airline-specific discussion, use relevant forum above.

[Right to Work Lawsuit Related to Aviation]

Old 02-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2009

I've worked at a non-union airline, and I will NEVER again put myself in that position.

By allowing people to not be a part of the union (and not pay), all the corporations are doing is allowing the union to lose power. This is why every single private sector job has less and less union membership. "Oh but why do I pay the union since I work under the same contract anyway"

Exactly, why would you? Not seeing that in the long term the union loses its power.

And remember this: The union isn't only there to protect you from the company, it's there the protect you from each other as well.
Old 02-03-2019, 03:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by stabapch View Post
Unions are necessary in the aviation industry. With no union, you’re at the mercy of a corporation and as Pilot A no way to show you’re better than Pilot B. Hence the seniority system.

Every other industry, unions are garbage. I worked as an electrician for a non-union company and by default was involved with the IBEW. I’ve dealt with all the harassment and I’ve come to one conclusion... the union electricians are the most brain dead, laziest workers out there. People join the industry knowing this and realize it’s easy pay and benefits. With my hard work and dedication to the company I’ve been at, my salary and benefits far exceeded what the union offered due to my individual discipline.

The truth is, ALL unions are just corrupt businesses inside of another business. Do some research on any .gov websites. Why are my union dues to ALPA or people represented by IBT going to the Democrat political party?? I don’t favor either party, but would like some transparency and a choice where my money is going. This is just one of many examples of the corruption.
Clearly your clueless on union political contributions from ALPA. Do some research and get back to us! Hint PAC!
Old 02-03-2019, 05:34 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
Clearly your clueless on union political contributions from ALPA. Do some research and get back to us! Hint PAC!
https://laborpains.org/2018/01/18/big-labor-sends-1-billion-to-the-left-without-prior-approval/

There’s a start. Then if you really want to get into it all you have to do is research ALPA contributions to individual congressman, then ask yourself one question. PAC is voluntary from members. If all those contributions were from ‘PAC’ that would mean all the guys on senior pay scales are voluntaring 1/3 of their annual salary to ‘PAC.’ Yeah seems legit... But hey keep believing what corporations tell ya.
Old 02-04-2019, 09:56 AM
"Yinzer an'at"

Joined APC: Jun 2012
Position: Sittin at the puter

Originally Posted by Rama View Post
One of my co-workers quit ALPA due to a disagreement over how they handled something. He is till employed and dues come out of his pay. He does get money back at the end of the year. He pays a service fee, but does not get the protection etc. that ALPA gives.

Actually that is incorrect. Because ALPA is the certified bargaining agent at the carrier in question they are required to represent him in any disciplinary hearing or contractual grievance. It is the "Duty of Fair Representation" that requires this because he cannot represent himself. The pilots at this carrier have elected to have ALPA represent them and ALPA is responsible for all those who work in the covered bargaining unit, Pilots. ALPA is the exclusive bargaining agent.

He cannot vote, hold office, attend meetings, get any ALPA insurance products, or other ALPA benefits. He has no say or vote in negotiations. Some other services like help with an FAA or medical issue would not be available to him because these are not "collective bargaining" issues. His fees are approximately 80 to 85% or the regular dues paying members fees based on what the particular ALPA carriers dues are allotted as germane to collective bargaining.
Old 02-04-2019, 10:50 AM
Gets Weekends Off

https://laborpains.org/2018/01/18/big-labor-sends-1-billion-to-the-left-without-prior-approval/

There’s a start. Then if you really want to get into it all you have to do is research ALPA contributions to individual congressman, then ask yourself one question. PAC is voluntary from members. If all those contributions were from ‘PAC’ that would mean all the guys on senior pay scales are voluntaring 1/3 of their annual salary to ‘PAC.’ Yeah seems legit... But hey keep believing what corporations tell ya.
ALPA’s financial records are public. You have stated they are fraudulent and a crime is occurring through miss use of member dues. Please post some real facts so we can get the criminals arrested! This is serious stuff and we be national news. Why have you been withholding it?
PS. Your link is worthless and has nothing to do with ALPA.
Old 02-04-2019, 12:23 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Originally Posted by sailingfun View Post
ALPA’s financial records are public. You have stated they are fraudulent and a crime is occurring through miss use of member dues. Please post some real facts so we can get the criminals arrested! This is serious stuff and we be national news. Why have you been withholding it?
PS. Your link is worthless and has nothing to do with ALPA.
Like I said it’s a start. You can do your own individual research and draw your own inferences. We’re all adults right? Im just here to put it out there. But, you won’t, you’ll continue to follow the herd.

“National news”......

LOL You’re apparently clueless on how this country works, so maybe we should start there.
Old 02-04-2019, 02:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: On the hotel shuttle

Like I said it’s a start. You can do your own individual research and draw your own inferences. We’re all adults right? Im just here to put it out there. But, you won’t, you’ll continue to follow the herd.

“National news”......

LOL You’re apparently clueless on how this country works, so maybe we should start there.
In other words, “Well, I heard.”
Old 02-05-2019, 04:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

“National news”......

I already have and have had a friend who worked in political affairs with ALPA. They don’t get a dime of dues money. All their funding is via the PAC. Money was their single biggest issue. We lack the money to buy the needed politicians to get our issues through Congress. We have to careful target and pursue a limited agenda as a result. Every pilot should donate at least 100 a year to the PAC for KCM if nothing else.
Old 02-17-2019, 04:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Originally Posted by Allegheny View Post
Actually that is incorrect. Because ALPA is the certified bargaining agent at the carrier in question they are required to represent him in any disciplinary hearing or contractual grievance. It is the "Duty of Fair Representation" that requires this because he cannot represent himself. The pilots at this carrier have elected to have ALPA represent them and ALPA is responsible for all those who work in the covered bargaining unit, Pilots. ALPA is the exclusive bargaining agent.

He cannot vote, hold office, attend meetings, get any ALPA insurance products, or other ALPA benefits. He has no say or vote in negotiations. Some other services like help with an FAA or medical issue would not be available to him because these are not "collective bargaining" issues. His fees are approximately 80 to 85% or the regular dues paying members fees based on what the particular ALPA carriers dues are allotted as germane to collective bargaining.
You are incorrect about a lot of what you say. I have a copy of the APA Agency Fee Policy for 2019. Germane dues are covered expenses on things like medical and even other things. You still pay for those items and the union has a duty to represent you. ALPA is the same. Read the Agency Fee policies of ALPA carriers. They have them and they differ little from APA.
Old 05-04-2019, 03:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2017

Closed shops should be negotiated between Union and company.

Banning closed shops is wrong. Forcing closed shops is also wrong, and a corrupt way for politicians to buy votes.