Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Flight Schools and Training
Looking Quick efficient 0-hero school >

Looking Quick efficient 0-hero school

Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

Looking Quick efficient 0-hero school

Old 01-26-2019, 07:21 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jan 2019
Default Looking Quick efficient 0-hero school

Hi all frist time posting. A little background about myself. I am a Bay area native however I have been living and working in finance in Asia for the last 8 years. I am 32 married with a kid. I decided to quit my career last year because of the long hours (7am to 7-9pm & weekends OTs) and unhealthy lifestyle. Aviation was always my dream but due to my parents ideals, I placed that dream on hold 14 years ago.

Last week I got class 1 done and I am now looking for a flight school. Because I have a wife and kid who will be staying in Asia for at least a couple of years, I want to minimize the separation as much as possible. Location doesn't matter as all my immediate family is overseas somewhere. I prefer a location that is cheap and able to get my certificates done as soon as possible. I am used to working 80 hours per week so I don't want to be limited by lack of planes or CFIs. I also would like a school that provides a solid foundation, and not rushing through PPL part.

If anyone has any recommendations other than ATP, please let me know. Location doesn't matter.

Last edited by bruceko; 01-26-2019 at 07:53 PM.
Old 01-26-2019, 07:31 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2014

Riggin Flight Service - The Aviation Experts

PPL and IFR in Cessna 140. Time building in 140, 150 or J3. Complex in Bonanza. Multi in Apache. Very reasonably priced and DPE on staff.
Old 01-26-2019, 09:16 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post

PPL and IFR in Cessna 140. Time building in 140, 150 or J3. Complex in Bonanza. Multi in Apache. Very reasonably priced and DPE on staff.
I would do my instrument in something more modern, but PPL and time building in a 140 sounds awesome and will teach you great fundamental flying skills.
Old 01-27-2019, 12:40 AM
New Hire

Wow I like the old school planes. Do you have an estimate on the cost from 0-Cfi?

Also the only problem I see is gettin there from the west coast. I let my Cali driver license expire. So I won’t be able to drive until I rent a place and head to the nearest DMV. Minneapolis Airport to Madison will be a long way walk.
Old 01-29-2019, 07:33 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2014

Originally Posted by dera View Post
I would do my instrument in something more modern, but PPL and time building in a 140 sounds awesome and will teach you great fundamental flying skills.
It has a Garmin 430W and a Garmin 300 (I think, don't quote me on that one).
Originally Posted by bruceko View Post
Wow I like the old school planes. Do you have an estimate on the cost from 0-Cfi?

Also the only problem I see is gettin there from the west coast. I let my Cali driver license expire. So I won’t be able to drive until I rent a place and head to the nearest DMV. Minneapolis Airport to Madison will be a long way walk.
Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you the price sheet they emailed me. Also, you can fly into FSD and it's a much shorter walk (or they'll come pick you up...lol)
Old 01-30-2019, 04:33 AM
New Hire

Send me a PM with your email and I'll send you the price sheet they emailed me. Also, you can fly into FSD and it's a much shorter walk (or they'll come pick you up...lol)

Thanks I already emailed them and got the price list. Ya I don't know the mid-west too well, that why thought the closest was Minneapolis. The only worries I have is learning in a non towered field vs a complex airspace. I am afraid I wont get enough ATC experience or procedures experience at towered airports.

Also do you know when is it a good time to train in South Dakota? I am looking at the weather for Madison it ranging from -29 and snowing to 36 and raining this week.... For someone from California, it looks like the end of the world.
Old 01-30-2019, 05:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013
Position: Left

Should be something down AZ way. Look through the AOPA flight school finder.

https://www.aopa.org/learntofly/school/index.cfm
Old 01-30-2019, 07:15 PM
New Hire

Thanks for the reply. I already emailed them. Everything seems good, the only thing I am worried about is the weather up there in South Dakota. I googled the weather for the week and it showed low -20 and snowing to high 37 an raining. Don't know if the weather is considered normal or if you can fly in it. It looks like end of the world weather for someone from Cali.

Another thing I am worried is about is not enough ATC exposure, being in a no towered field vs complex busy airport.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:22 PM
New Hire

Thanks for the reply. I already emailed them. Everything seems good, the only thing I am worried about is the weather up there in South Dakota. I googled the weather for the week and it showed low -20 and snowing to high 37 an raining. Don't know if the weather is considered normal or if you can fly in it. It looks like end of the world weather for someone from Cali.

Another thing I am worried is about is not enough ATC exposure, being in a no towered field vs complex busy airport.