Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

Where to start flight training?

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 12:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2019

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
Maybe 30 years ago.
0-CFII at a decent school will set you back $60-70k.
Instruct for 1200 hrs after that is approximately $36,000 so that puts you around $106-$110k so ballpark.
Yes I’m assuming you’re paying for your own CFI wages.
You shouldn't be.

'A decent school' sounds like a rip off academy. CFIs are everywhere, many want hours and will give you good rates. I can rent a low wing for $65/hr wet through a flying club. Complex single engine for $100/hr wet.

If you're paying for your own CFI wages, then I can't even begin to explain how wrong you are. It's this kind of attitude that will keep pilot pay in the doldrums below 1500 hrs forever.

I get being desperate for hours. I don't get being whorish about it.
Old 02-15-2019, 03:25 PM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

You maybe.

Others pay $150-$175 solo and $225 dual for a C172SP and $250 dual for Complex and $325 dual for ME.

$500 for Private checkride
$600 for CPl and ME
$800 for initial CFI

Consider $2500 in checkrides and written tests.

I get being desperate for hours. I don't get being whorish about it.
Here’s a lightbulb moment for you.
You know the difference between your first year pay and third year pay 121?
Your training cost buddy, you’ve just paid for it yourself.
Old 02-19-2019, 05:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
Here’s a lightbulb moment for you.
You know the difference between your first year pay and third year pay 121?
Your training cost buddy, you’ve just paid for it yourself.
Since we're sharing lightbulbs, any idea how many folks who start training never make it to their first year at a 121? Medical DQ, Lack of funds to complete training, QoL issues, family issues, other debts?

Maybe stop encouraging people to soak up over 100k in debts for a job that's not 100% guaranteed. That's bad advice. Not shopping around for good rates for training in a competitive market is also bad advice.

No one is going to walk up and hand you a 300k job with an easy path to get there. Anyone who's selling this is either trying to sell you something or has drunk the Kool-Aid themselves.
Old 02-19-2019, 07:21 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by JayMahon View Post
Since we're sharing lightbulbs, any idea how many folks who start training never make it to their first year at a 121? Medical DQ, Lack of funds to complete training, QoL issues, family issues, other debts?

Maybe stop encouraging people to soak up over 100k in debts for a job that's not 100% guaranteed. That's bad advice. Not shopping around for good rates for training in a competitive market is also bad advice.

No one is going to walk up and hand you a 300k job with an easy path to get there. Anyone who's selling this is either trying to sell you something or has drunk the Kool-Aid themselves.
Back in the day, it seemed like 80% made it to a regional. The ones who weren't going to make it were pretty obvious, usually blue-collar folks (or rich kids) who got sold a bill of goods and maybe a loan by a flight school. They either struggle with the material and IR training, or don't have any initiative and wander off.

Majors was a different story... probably around 30% got to the better majors, but that was starting from ad hoc part 61 training. I would expect 141 university grads to have more success because they were pretty goal oriented to attend a 141 university in the first place.

I would expect those entering today to have better odds, due to retirements.
Old 02-19-2019, 08:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
Back in the day, it seemed like 80% made it to a regional. The ones who weren't going to make it were pretty obvious, usually blue-collar folks (or rich kids) who got sold a bill of goods and maybe a loan by a flight school. They either struggle with the material and IR training, or don't have any initiative and wander off.

Majors was a different story... probably around 30% got to the better majors, but that was starting from ad hoc part 61 training. I would expect 141 university grads to have more success because they were pretty goal oriented to attend a 141 university in the first place.

I would expect those entering today to have better odds, due to retirements.
Correction noted.

I am more risk averse than most when it comes to debt. Working in the financial industry I've seen a lot of the 'bad scenarios' out there. Currently 20% of the student loans in this country are in default. Flight time outside of the aviation industry is worthless on a resume, other than an ice breaker. I'd hate to see folks in 100k+ debt with nothing to show for it professionally.

Course adjusted.

With an 80%+ success rate and a 30%+ shot of hitting the majors, the risk appears to be clearly worth the financial payoff. I had no idea the numbers were so strong.
Old 02-19-2019, 09:52 AM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

Originally Posted by JayMahon View Post

I think you missed my point and maybe I missed yours.
Mine was a reply to your comment about being “whorish”.

I think there’s $30-$35k in CFI wages rolled into the $120k training fees.
You call that “whorish”
After which I stated that in 121-world you end up paying for your training also.

Now the JB path is ‘garanteed’ which means it can still get cancelled at any time.
It may not be the best option right now but you’re two years away from finishing and things can look mighty different in two years.