Notices

Driving to ONT Base while on reserve

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 09:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2017

Originally Posted by 767pilot View Post
This is in the reserve section

"No crewmember will be disciplined if he fails to report within the scheduled call-out time due to circumstances beyond his control. "

To me, that says traffic.
Until it happens several times and it becomes apparent that the unpredictable should have been predicted.
Old 02-16-2019, 04:23 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by 767pilot View Post
This is in the reserve section

"No crewmember will be disciplined if he fails to report within the scheduled call-out time due to circumstances beyond his control. "

To me, that says traffic.
I would suggest for pilots thinking of using traffic delays from their residence as a contractual out for being late on reserve call outs should contact the IPA legal team and get their advice before moving.

While my opinion is that a rare late report due to traffic would not be disciplined other then recorded in you exception file, multiple events would lead to an issue easily avoided.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Can save the call
Don't make that your plan...
Any company knows where you live and local conditions. Normal traffic delays wont get you a pass. An accident that stops traffic that is on the news? Sure, call crew scheduling as soon as you realize this is not usual. Have a few of those in first few years? Company going to change your behavior one way or another.
Old 02-17-2019, 08:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Brown 747-400

I used to sit reserve a lot in ONT when I was based there...but that was more than 10 years ago.

Back then, A reserve wasn't a problem driving from San Diego, however, B and C reserve could bite you in the butt with commuter traffic on the I-15 North.

My technique for C reserve was to drive up to North County with all my gear in my car, and sit at a Panera Bread place for a couple of hours, while I sipped coffee and surfed the internet. If I hadn't got a call by about 7pm, I'd drive home. If I did get called out from there, I'd have a huge jump on the commute up to ONT (and you'd need it during afternoon rush hour). YMMV.