Notices
Air Wisconsin Regional Airline

Avg flight time/mo

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2019, 04:03 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2015
Default Avg flight time/mo

I just passed the interview and was getting ready, but came across information about how smaller 50 seater aircraft often imply schedules with tons of short flight, meaning long duty periods with few hours of loggable flight time. Is this the case?
Thanks in advance
Old 02-15-2019, 04:07 PM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

Well duh...
That’s what “Regionals” do.
It’s kinda implied in the name.
Versus a term like “long haul”.
Lotsa legs, lotsa approaches, lotsa landings.
Exactly what you need.
Old 02-15-2019, 04:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Since IOE I average 65 hrs of loggable block per month. That includes very low block months for primary vacations (three consecutive weeks off if you bid right) and recurrent training months. It also includes a few months I picked up 1-4 extra days. So my range on vacation and training months to pick up months is 25 hrs block to 85 block.

Credit is another story. Average since IOE is about 95 per month. Range 75-125.

For every short ORD to MKE/MSN/AZO flight there is a ORD to PWM/SAV/CHS flight. Just look at the flight map on our website. You will have some block on flights 40-60 minutes but also will have 2 hr plus ones too.

Flying in and out of ORD in both summer and winter will increase block. Think time spent in the penalty box waiting for a gate or taxing to the newly opened central deice pad plus your average daily “number 15 for departure”, or your route just closed for a T storm, etc. It’s not uncommon to have half your block time on the ground on a short flight.
Old 02-15-2019, 05:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2016

Also 117 limits the old days of 6-7 legs. I have yet to ever have more than 5 legs scheduled, and never had a trip with more than 1 day of 5 legs, all were day 1 or 4. But 3 legs seems to be typical on days 1-4 when not getting a 5 spot.

2-4 legs per day is typical on days 2-3.

So 117 will prevent you from having lots of 5 leg days and all but eliminate 6-7 leg days (scheduled - irops not withstanding).

Typical 4 days may look like: 5/4/2/3 or 3/4/4/3 or 3/4/2/5. Stuff like that.
Old 02-15-2019, 09:51 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2015

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
Well duh...
That’s what “Regionals” do.
It’s kinda implied in the name.
Versus a term like “long haul”.
Lotsa legs, lotsa approaches, lotsa landings.
Exactly what you need.
I meant in comparison to Skywest or Republic, operating larger 76 seaters on longer routes.
Old 02-16-2019, 05:09 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2013

Originally Posted by tgec View Post
I meant in comparison to Skywest or Republic, operating larger 76 seaters on longer routes.
https://rjet.com/about-republic-airline/our-bases-routes/

You're still going to find a mix of long and short flights. You really shouldn't be picking an airline based on the average flight length since those vary from month to month. For example, in the Delta system the average stage lengths for E175 flights will be steadily decreasing over the next few years as A220s take over the longer routes.

If you are trying to build time the only thing that matters is block hours per month, which is a result of how the airline is staffed and how the lines are built. As far as that goes I would imagine every regional these days has plenty of lines with 80+ hrs of block per month, including Air Wisconsin. Yeah maybe you might need to do a few extra flights to get to that number, but that should not be a factor in deciding which regional to go to.