Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Flight Schools and Training
Best way to become an airline pilot? >

Best way to become an airline pilot?

Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

Best way to become an airline pilot?

Old 03-22-2019, 07:24 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2019

Originally Posted by Flyboy68 View Post
I don't really know if they prefer one over the other, but maybe someone with human resources experience can answer that.

I looked at the flight school costs, and $54k for your ratings sounds reasonable. It will cost more than that, because that's the minimum number of hours, and no one does it in the minimum. And you'll still have to get your CFII.
How much more would it cost to get the additional hours and the CFII?
Old 03-22-2019, 07:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2019

Originally Posted by Hamzah View Post
English isn’t my mother language, I’m half American and half middle eastern. I didn’t grow up in America, I grew up in Jordan, but I may be moving to America in a couple of months.

Do medicine students go do a surgery to see if they like it or not and then decide if it’s for them or not, or they just feel like it’s the dream job for them.

I don’t have rich parents and you don’t have to in order to become a pilot, I know lots of pilots who took loans to pay for flight training. I’m just trying to figure out what’s the acceptable range.

It’s not up to you to tell me to stop asking questions, if you don’t like them, just don’t answer.
Moving to America and having the legal right to work in America are two very different things. Does your 1/2 American count on paper to the point where you are a citizen or can legally work here? This has a major impact on your ability to become a pilot here.

"Do medicine students do a surgery?" Alright smartass, I'm pretty sure medicine students LEARN FIRST AID/CPR and take advanced health classes before deciding "Yeah, I'm going to drop 100k on a medical degree/nursing school". I didn't say "fly a 777", I said you should take a discovery flight.

You're 18. It's fine to have a dream, but at this stage in life you need to put your hands on whatever it is you think you're going to do with your life. Go take a discovery flight and try your hand at flying, maybe learn something about yourself. Every other piece of advice won't matter if you get vertigo and panic at the controls of an aircraft.

YOU are asking for advice, that's the advice. Don't like it? Stop asking for it. It's time to be a big boy.

If you think this level of directive advice is a problem, you're not going to like flight training. Or being a first officer. Or jobs in general.
Old 03-22-2019, 08:07 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jan 2018

Originally Posted by JayMahon View Post

If you think this level of directive advice is a problem, you're not going to like flight training. Or being a first officer.
^^^ Yep, this is true.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:21 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2019

Originally Posted by JayMahon View Post
Moving to America and having the legal right to work in America are two very different things. Does your 1/2 American count on paper to the point where you are a citizen or can legally work here? This has a major impact on your ability to become a pilot here.

"Do medicine students do a surgery?" Alright smartass, I'm pretty sure medicine students LEARN FIRST AID/CPR and take advanced health classes before deciding "Yeah, I'm going to drop 100k on a medical degree/nursing school". I didn't say "fly a 777", I said you should take a discovery flight.

You're 18. It's fine to have a dream, but at this stage in life you need to put your hands on whatever it is you think you're going to do with your life. Go take a discovery flight and try your hand at flying, maybe learn something about yourself. Every other piece of advice won't matter if you get vertigo and panic at the controls of an aircraft.

YOU are asking for advice, that's the advice. Don't like it? Stop asking for it. It's time to be a big boy.

If you think this level of directive advice is a problem, you're not going to like flight training. Or being a first officer. Or jobs in general.
One of your parents being an American would automatically make you a citizen, that’s other than I was born there. Yes I am an American. I have the American citizenships.

Ok you’re right about the medical issue, it’s a wrong comparison.

You were being rude to me since the first reply, I’m not the type that likes to make conflict with people for no reason, I’m just trying to learn new stuff and information.
Old 03-22-2019, 09:39 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2019

Originally Posted by Hamzah View Post
One of your parents being an American would automatically make you a citizen, that’s other than I was born there. Yes I am an American. I have the American citizenships.

Ok you’re right about the medical issue, it’s a wrong comparison.

You were being rude to me since the first reply, I’m not the type that likes to make conflict with people for no reason, I’m just trying to learn new stuff and information.
I'm glad you've got the citizenship. In the US it's very common for folks to claim heritage from another place without a direct legal connection to it. My last name is Irish, but I'm not an Irish citizen despite being 50% Irish by heritage.

Good on you for owning up to your mistake, that's a good sign.

I'm sorry you felt I was rude. You've started a lot of posts about the same topics. Either you didn't get what you needed from the earlier posts or you are looking for someone to tell you what you want to hear.

At this point you've got some fairly clear direction. Go take your discovery flight, let us know how it went and feel free to ask more questions after that. You seem to think that financing and money don't make an impact on your plans, but I assure you... not all options are available to you if you need outside financing/student loans to pay for things as opposed to paying your own way. Definitely important information to discuss with your parents... after the discovery flight.

=)

Go fly.