ID to cabin crew on Commercial deadhead

Notices
Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines

ID to cabin crew on Commercial deadhead

Old 04-01-2019, 07:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017
Position: 777 Left window seat

I’ll give some other unrelated advice. If you really, really want to wear your uniform to look cool when not actually performing as a pilot stand curbside and the little old ladies will tip you for helping with their bags. Wear the hat. It helps.

Other than that. Nobody gives a flying F that you are a pilot.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: 767A (Ret)

No disguise will work. F/As can detect a pilot like polar bears can sniff out a seal.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2015

Never understood those people in civvies who wear their lanyard and ID around the airport. If you think you look "official" then all you are doing is making those of us you recognize the you as an "airport employee" roll our eyes.
Old 04-01-2019, 08:45 AM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

Originally Posted by tomgoodman View Post
No disguise will work. F/As can detect a pilot like polar bears can sniff out a seal.
Truth right there...
Old 04-01-2019, 09:00 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by middies10 View Post
Never understood those people in civvies who wear their lanyard and ID around the airport. If you think you look "official" then all you are doing is making those of us you recognize the you as an "airport employee" roll our eyes.
I do it if jumpseating in civvies. First to get through KCM, then to get my discount at Peets, then to check in for the JS, then to check in with the CA. After that if I'm sitting in the back, I put it away for obvious reasons. I'm not a secret agent who should only flash my decoder ring momentarily if urgently necessary.

Nobody cares one way or another if you wear a badge at the airport, except maybe the badge etiquette police. A gazillion non-crew employees wear their badges all day long. All employees can spot crew a mile away, badge or not. It's best not to wear it while sitting in the cabin, that's policy at most airlines so as not to rub it in to the paying pax that you're getting for free what they paid $300+ for. Comply with that.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:05 AM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

I don't wear identification if I'm not in uniform. I carry it, usually in a pant leg pocket, and I'll show it where appropriate (known crewmember, etc), but otherwise, no.
Old 04-01-2019, 09:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2017
Position: 777 Left window seat

This has to be one of the most entertaining threads on here in awhile. Lol
Old 04-01-2019, 09:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: Leftof longitudinal

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
So regular fare ticket, no upgrade, not carrying your regional pilot rollaboard, no headphones, no sunglasses backwards, in civvies, back of the bus middle seat....do you:

- wear your lanyard and ID when boarding No
- kinda twirl it around your finger like a cool kid No
- show it only to your section FA No
- not bother to ID yourself as crew? Yes
If can go through KCM domestically, always in civilian clothes. Am a pax. will respond like any other pax to a call for help "any doctors or airplane pilots onboard?"
Would rather not be part of any official legal or regulatory agency investigation post flight.
Old 04-01-2019, 10:32 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Window Seat

Spoken like a bunch of people who have never needed to commute internationally.

As a rule of thumb, domestically, I suggest keeping your ID on but tucked into a shirt pocket. Other crews are smart enough to figure this out and you don't look like a douche to those who don't know. There is a noticeable difference in how you're treated.

Internationally (on a jumpseat or ticket) you need to play it by ear. But if you want to guarantee yourself a nightmare be sure to wear civvies going to KWI on a paid ticket. ME, South America, South Asian, and ASEAN countries definitely treat you much better in uniform. Other Asian countries do a little, but not much. In Europe always go in civvies or they get bent out of shape.

I wouldn't suggest this on personal travel though as a matter of protocol... just work travel (paid or jumpseat).
Old 04-01-2019, 10:47 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2017

I wear mine in civies, but only so I don't lose it, and get discounts at the airport. If I want to cut the line and board early to guarantee space for my bags, I'll go in uniform. You are treated better.