Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Cargo > Atlas/Polar
Typical schedule-Atlas Air >

Typical schedule-Atlas Air

Notices

Typical schedule-Atlas Air

Old 04-24-2019, 01:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2013

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
As an Atlas pilot you basically have three choices:

- Believe the Union gospel as being the self proclaimed 12 disciples.
- Believe the company narrative.
- Believe in your own independent options based on a piecemeal of tidbits of verified information and experiences.

Anybody with a brain should go with the last option. No degree required.
There is no party flawless or faultless in this process.
The Union communications seem to be inspired by Tolkien and George Orwell.
The Management seems to uphold more of a Trumpian philosophy, Make Atlas Great Again

If that upsets you, feel free to not buy me a beer. You won’t see me in the cliche pilot watering holes anyway.
I agree with you until your comment about Make Atlas Great Again.

Management's philosophy is Screw The Employees. Atlas has been consistently profitable yet management only rewards themselves.

Example, Flynn was given a $75,000 per month raise. He now makes $6.9 million plus perks and benefits. He has a ridiculous golden parachute deal in place per the notes in the Annual Report.

Yet, not even crumbs for the hourly employees.
Old 04-24-2019, 06:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2014
Position: B-767

There were 40-50 guys on todays 1224 GMM call. Posted pictures of the meeting showed about 25 members. This is for the whole of 1224. There were about 5 questions to our elected leaders. Those who don't believe our union facts surely would want to participate and ask questions, but I guess that I am wrong. Pilots love to think that they are the smartest ones in any room.
Old 04-25-2019, 07:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2010
Position: 747 CA

Originally Posted by TiredSoul View Post
As an Atlas pilot you basically have three choices:

- Believe the Union gospel as being the self proclaimed 12 disciples.
- Believe the company narrative.
- Believe in your own independent options based on a piecemeal of tidbits of verified information and experiences.

Anybody with a brain should go with the last option. No degree required.
There is no party flawless or faultless in this process.
The Union communications seem to be inspired by Tolkien and George Orwell.
The Management seems to uphold more of a Trumpian philosophy, Make Atlas Great Again

If that upsets you, feel free to not buy me a beer. You won’t see me in the cliche pilot watering holes anyway.
I don't know if I actually know you in real life so to speak, but I am not sure I understand what you mean by "inspired by Tolkien and Orwell."

I have read your responses here, and I respect where you are coming from. This place is a fit for some people, and you have to make the best of the hand you were dealt/chose.

Everyone has bias, but I don't understand what pilots think our 1224 is doing to not get a contract? The company has used the system to lock us down quite effectively. We are in a holding pattern, without and EFC, until we get the two amalgamation verdicts from the two separate arbitrators.

Classes are not being filled yet the company does not budge. How much business has been lost due to "not enough crew"?
Old 04-27-2019, 01:34 PM
All is fine at .79

Joined APC: Sep 2016
Position: Paahlot

I agree with you until your comment about Make Atlas Great Again.

I was being facetious, the lies and all the empty promises

but I am not sure I understand what you mean by "inspired by Tolkien and Orwell."

Tolkien - (Lord of the Rings ) known for great works of fantasy and mythical creatures.
Orwell - (Animal Farm, 1984) - social injustice, opposition to totalitarianism.

They seem to inspire certain members of our "Brotherhood"

(secret handshake)
Old 04-28-2019, 07:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Organizations are made of people, and people are fallible. I agree it's important to make your own, informed decisions based on verifiable fact. It's also important to keep an open mind and to ensure that spectacular claims are supported by spectacular evidence. Anyone who asserts that there aren't cliques in power or people who receive special treatment hasn't come to terms with human nature. This is true for management and the union.

As a union, we certainly have some rough spots (conflict of interest across multiple levels of leadership, unequal treatment of membership, questionable use of UB days, general disarray in the face of crisis, etc.). Still the union is our only defense against predatory management practices. There's plenty of evidence for the need for a union's defense.

So I'll keep my refrain up. Join us, and get involved. You can do more from the inside. We can always use more people speaking truth to power. Otherwise we become yet another organization that burns resources and can't adapt to new circumstances. If you want to keep a lower profile, just answering emails and making phone calls does tons to bring order out of chaos. There's a place for you here. We need you. Join us.

Last edited by Elevation; 04-28-2019 at 08:00 AM. Reason: grammar and spelling.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:00 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Also a low involvement in union calls and meetings says more about our failure to connect with our members than our members' failure to connect with us.

I'd say our situation is generally stupid. So we may be more like angsty, teenage vampire dramas or reality TV shows where guys named Sixer have to give a rose to one of 50 identical women.

Last edited by Elevation; 04-28-2019 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Removed diatribe about Tolkien's experience in the First World War.
Old 04-28-2019, 11:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

This EXCO has bent over backwards to inform and educate. A lot of hyperbole may be spewed by the rank and file on forums, but my experience has been one of constant engagement by the whole of our elected leaders. This group is so much better off than the dysfunctional mess that resulted in the current amalgamated contract. I am sure APC has the threads from before say 2009. We are in a lot better place.
Old 04-28-2019, 06:42 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by White Cap View Post
This EXCO has bent over backwards to inform and educate. A lot of hyperbole may be spewed by the rank and file on forums, but my experience has been one of constant engagement by the whole of our elected leaders. This group is so much better off than the dysfunctional mess that resulted in the current amalgamated contract. I am sure APC has the threads from before say 2009. We are in a lot better place.

Come on over. 22 day trips baby. It’s all the rage.
Old 04-29-2019, 12:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by boeingdvr View Post
Come on over. 22 day trips baby. It’s all the rage.
Been at 5Y a pretty long time. Twenty two day trips?
Old 04-29-2019, 03:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by White Cap View Post
Been at 5Y a pretty long time. Twenty two day trips?
So- you’ve never done a 17 day r2 pattern and then extended 3 days ? Did you teleport to and from ?

SA does 21 day trips with extensions of 5-6 days. Virtually being out the entire month.

Now SA is going from 21 to 17 days operating under CBA from the 80’s