Notices
Pilot Health FAA medical; health topics

Vision update to medical

Old 04-22-2019, 06:53 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2018
Default Vision update to medical

Hey all,
I didn’t find a definite place to star this so I am assuming here works.
Does anyone know if you can get the corrective lenses restriction taken off of my next medical? Nothing surgical has happened I just feel like I am able to pass without my glasses and did not think of it last time.
Thanks!
Old 04-23-2019, 04:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2018
Position: E170 CA

Yes, even if you had something surgical and you passed without glasses it can be removed.

For example, I wore glasses so had the restriction. Then I had lasik. The next medical I did it without glasses and received an unrestricted first class. Now over 15 years later my right eye has degraded some so I wear glasses most of the time. I walk into the AME with my glasses on, take them off to take the test, pass the test, and receive an unrestricted first class.

Do I fly without my glasses on? Nope, and I even have prescription sunglasses, but legally I could if I had to.
Old 04-23-2019, 06:15 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

The AME will remove it any time you meet the standards. And then he may put it back on later. My corrective lens restriction comes and goes year to year.
Old 05-07-2019, 04:22 PM
Perennial Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2018
Default Hockey 27

Even though you deleted the question, here is the answer:

The FAA expects that airmen will not resume airman duties until their treating health care professional determines that their post-operative vision has stabilized, there are no significant adverse effects or complications (such as halos, rings, haze, impaired night vision and glare), the appropriate vision standards are met, and reviewed by an Examiner or AMCD. When this determination is made, the airman should have the treating health care professional document this in the health care record, a copy of which should be forwarded to the AMCD before resumption of airman duties. If the health care professional's determination is favorable, the applicant may resume airman duties, after consultation and review by an Examiner, unless informed otherwise by the FAA.
An applicant treated with a refractive procedure may be issued a medical certificate by the Examiner if the applicant meets the visual acuity standards and the Report of Eye Evaluation (FAA Form 8500-7) indicates that healing is complete; visual acuity remains stable; and the applicant does not suffer sequela such as; glare intolerance, halos, rings, impaired night vision, or any other complications. There should be no other pathology of the affected eye(s).
If the procedure was done 2 years ago or longer, the FAA may accept the Examiner's eye evaluation and an airman statement regarding the absence of adverse sequela.
If the procedure was performed within the last 2 years, the airman must provide a report to the AMCD from the treating health care professional to document the date of procedure, any adverse effects or complications, and when the airman returned to flying duties. If the report is favorable and the airman meets the appropriate vision standards, the applicant may resume airman duties, unless informed otherwise by the FAA.
Old 05-07-2019, 05:55 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2018

Originally Posted by Excargodog View Post
Even though you deleted the question, here is the answer:

The FAA expects that airmen will not resume airman duties until their treating health care professional determines that their post-operative vision has stabilized, there are no significant adverse effects or complications (such as halos, rings, haze, impaired night vision and glare), the appropriate vision standards are met, and reviewed by an Examiner or AMCD. When this determination is made, the airman should have the treating health care professional document this in the health care record, a copy of which should be forwarded to the AMCD before resumption of airman duties. If the health care professional's determination is favorable, the applicant may resume airman duties, after consultation and review by an Examiner, unless informed otherwise by the FAA.
An applicant treated with a refractive procedure may be issued a medical certificate by the Examiner if the applicant meets the visual acuity standards and the Report of Eye Evaluation (FAA Form 8500-7) indicates that healing is complete; visual acuity remains stable; and the applicant does not suffer sequela such as; glare intolerance, halos, rings, impaired night vision, or any other complications. There should be no other pathology of the affected eye(s).
If the procedure was done 2 years ago or longer, the FAA may accept the Examiner's eye evaluation and an airman statement regarding the absence of adverse sequela.
If the procedure was performed within the last 2 years, the airman must provide a report to the AMCD from the treating health care professional to document the date of procedure, any adverse effects or complications, and when the airman returned to flying duties. If the report is favorable and the airman meets the appropriate vision standards, the applicant may resume airman duties, unless informed otherwise by the FAA.
Thanks for the response and info. From your post and what I found i believe after lasik I get my eye doctor to fill out paperwork once I’m 20/20 and then I bring it to my ame and then my ame submits it to the amcd. As long as my vision is 20/20
Old 05-30-2019, 06:55 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2019

The first 2 times I went for a medical I required corrective lenses. Since then I've worn sunglasses, kept up on eye exercises, and maintained a healthy diet. It significantly improved my vision to where I havent had a limitation on my medical.