Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

Glider to Private Power

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2019, 11:47 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2019
Default Glider to Private Power

I have a PPL glider endorsement.
I have logged about 300 hours. Lots of cross county as I did quite a bit of competition flying.
I am interested in transitioning to power.
Can I use any of my hours towards my power rating?

I am also thinking of purchasing something like a cherokee 180 to train in and build hours.
How do you think I will be treated by the insurance companies at first?

Are there any accelerated flight schools that will allow you to use your own aircraft?

Thanks
Old 05-04-2019, 01:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2014

Originally Posted by SawDustMaker View Post
I have logged about 300 hours. Lots of cross county as I did quite a bit of competition flying.

I am also thinking of purchasing something like a cherokee 180 to train in and build hours.

Are there any accelerated flight schools that will allow you to use your own aircraft?

Thanks
Go to a local flight school and start taking lessons! If you own your own airplane, hire a private instructor. Your glider time will count for some ratings but more importantly, get the private pilot single engine land add-on. You'll need to get a third class medical as well.

I get nervous when people mention, "accelerated flight schools". It's more important to get quality instruction that will make you a safe pilot than ratings from diploma mills.

Also, after you get your add-on, get the tow pilot sign off and high performance sign off. The glider club should keep you busy unless you have a winch. Much of your total time should count towards a commercial license. You can read FAR 61 for the details but that's a topic for another day.

Good luck!

Last edited by 155mm; 05-04-2019 at 01:28 PM.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:32 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2018

Your glider hours will not count toward your private ASEL, but you should progress quickly because of your experience. Insurance companies will most likely treat you as a normal student pilot.

If you want to tow, most tow planes are tailwheel so you'll need to get that endorsement. Plus the towing operation will usually want you to have about 100 hrs or so tailwheel time for their insurance. You can tow for a club operation without a commercial airplane certificate, but not for a commercial glider operation.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:41 PM
Gets Weekends Off

"61.129 Aeronautical experience.
(a)For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (i) of this section, a person who applies for a commercial pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 250 hours of flight time as a pilot that consists of at least:

(1) 100 hours in powered aircraft, of which 50 hours must be in airplanes......."

Interestingly, if you have 50 hours of motor glider time that should count towards the 100 hours of powered aircraft time.
Old 05-04-2019, 02:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by dbdevkc View Post
Your glider hours will not count toward your private ASEL,
Actually some of it will count but very little! You need to read the fine print and do the math.

"§ 61.109 Aeronautical experience.
(a)For an airplane single-engine rating. Except as provided in paragraph (k) of this section, a person who applies for a private pilot certificate with an airplane category and single-engine class rating must log at least 40 hours of flight time that includes at least 20 hours of flight training from an authorized instructor and 10 hours of solo flight training in the areas of operation listed in § 61.107(b)(1) of this part, and the training must include at least -

(1) 3 hours of cross-country flight training in a single-engine airplane;

(2) Except as provided in § 61.110 of this part, 3 hours of night flight training in a single-engine airplane that includes -

(i) One cross-country flight of over 100 nautical miles total distance; and

(ii) 10 takeoffs and 10 landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport.

(3) 3 hours of flight training in a single-engine airplane on the control and maneuvering of an airplane solely by reference to instruments, including straight and level flight, constant airspeed climbs and descents, turns to a heading, recovery from unusual flight attitudes, radio communications, and the use of navigation systems/facilities and radar services appropriate to instrument flight;

(4) 3 hours of flight training with an authorized instructor in a single-engine airplane in preparation for the practical test, which must have been performed within the preceding 2 calendar months from the month of the test; and

(5) 10 hours of solo flight time in a single-engine airplane, consisting of at least -

(i) 5 hours of solo cross-country time;

(ii) One solo cross country flight of 150 nautical miles total distance, with full-stop landings at three points, and one segment of the flight consisting of a straight-line distance of more than 50 nautical miles between the takeoff and landing locations; and

(iii) Three takeoffs and three landings to a full stop (with each landing involving a flight in the traffic pattern) at an airport with an operating control tower."
Old 05-05-2019, 06:21 AM
Disinterested Third Party

Joined APC: Jun 2012

Originally Posted by SawDustMaker View Post

Thanks
You already have a private pilot certificate, not just an "endorsement," if you have your "PPL." Therefore, you have a pilot certificate, and are looking to add an airplane rating to it.

All of your glider hours count; they are total time. For a single-engine airplane rating, there are additional requirements that must be met, but you've already accomplished the pilot certificate. You're looking fr what is sometimes called an "add-on" rating.

Don't let anyone tell you that your logged hours don't count. They absolutely do.