Notices
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.

Making a Career Switch

Old 05-16-2019, 04:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

How much money are you making now?

(I know such a question is typically rude to ask, but in the aviation world we speak openly about it)
Old 05-16-2019, 04:55 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2019

Originally Posted by biigD View Post
How much money are you making now?

(I know such a question is typically rude to ask, but in the aviation world we speak openly about it)
No offense taken - nuclear was the same way. I'm at 115k with up to 18% bonus. Wife makes right under 100, so we could be fine with a period of low earnings on my side.
Old 05-16-2019, 04:57 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

Originally Posted by ClassicMan View Post
Grades should be good. 4 year degree and 3.3 Overall GPA from Georgia Tech
Coloring degree from GT doesn't count.
Go Dawgs!

(Sorry, just had to...)
Old 05-16-2019, 05:02 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: May 2019

Originally Posted by dera View Post
Coloring degree from GT doesn't count.
Go Dawgs!

(Sorry, just had to...)
I didn't realize they taught you to read at U(sic)GA
Old 05-16-2019, 05:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: B767

I left an engineering career to become a professional pilot. I was a few years younger than you, but still pretty close in age. Aviation is in my family, and I’ve been flying around in light planes since I was a kid. Still, I did as much flight training on the side as I could before leaving engineering. At the very least, get your PPL. When I was a flight instructor, I saw quite a few people that just knew they wanted to be professional pilots quit pretty early in the process. With your background that’s unlikely, but it’s cheap insurance.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:33 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2018

Im doing the whole career change pilot thing right now. Im a bit older, hitting 40 soon, but as many have mentioned get your ppl first.

Management consulting if it's a steady 3 to 4 month assignment, I'd ask my boss if I could take fridays off for travel to and from (I have a few management consultant friends that fo this regularly), and take lessons on the weekend. Its only 50 flight hours for your ppl, mostly academics really. Get your PPL first and decide if you're really doing this all the way or not, i.e. is this a hobby or a career?

After your PPL if you want to go full time buy a plane to get you through instrument and commercial.

Good luck, find your bliss man.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:19 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2018

OP,

I agree with everyone else, get your private first while keeping your job. No need to rush the career change.

I'm just a few years younger than you but in the middle of that process myself. Spent the last year and a half finishing my Instrument, Commercial and CFI while working my full time engineering job.

By the way, I also live in Atlanta and work as a CFI at PDK (part-time for now but about to go all in). In your situation and given your background, I would advise against ATP. There are some much better and cheaper alternatives around. Pm me if you have any questions regarding flight training in the Atlanta area. Happy to help. I'd also be curious to know where you're going for your intro flight!
Old 05-17-2019, 05:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010

Originally Posted by ClassicMan View Post
No offense taken - nuclear was the same way. I'm at 115k with up to 18% bonus. Wife makes right under 100, so we could be fine with a period of low earnings on my side.
Cool. As others have said, go get your private and see if you like it, then make the big push if you want to move forward.

115K is a fine salary, but the good news is that regional captains are doing that or better these days, so if there's a hiccup in the major hiring and you end up stuck at a regional for longer than expected, it won't be a financial disaster.
Old 05-17-2019, 05:45 AM
Fly or Die

Joined APC: Jan 2019

Keep your day job OP and fly around it. A bad economy, war, etc. will change a lot in the aviation industry overnight.

Step 1 is to get your first class medical. Pay as you go - don’t borrow.

A private flight school could be up to half as much as a place like ATP.

You’re definitely not too old. Good luck!
Old 05-17-2019, 05:56 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2017

Tired Soul and Eco are pretty much spot-on.

As an ex-nuke, I would like add a few points for your consideration.
As has been stated: Get at least your private pilot license before making any big career decisions. If possible, get all the way through your commercial before making the decision to go for it.

It will likely take longer and be more expensive than you initially estimate..weather, schedules, and life in general.

However, in my opinion, if you can find a good Part 61 school that is actually invested in teaching you and getting you finished, you can control some of the money/time issues, IF you are committed.
Beware of the school that wants to keep you on the hamster wheel of pay pay pay...you're almost ready..a few more hours...maybe next week..etc

It can be done, but it's not always a smooth path.

ATP is expensive and the training might be at a faster pace than what you are used to as a nuke. However, you made it through Operator training and you're young, so you MIGHT be okay.
Good Luck Sir.