Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Career Questions
My first step!  Give me strength and courage! >

My first step! Give me strength and courage!

Search
Notices
Career Questions Career advice, interview prep and gouges, job fairs, etc.

My first step! Give me strength and courage!

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2019, 06:32 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2019
Red face My first step! Give me strength and courage!

Hey everyone...

I began to study today. Here is what I got!

https://imgur.com/O5lKwwq

I know it's not much and I am not enrolled in any flight school yet...so I have long long ways to go. But I just wanted to get something started.

I am 30 years old... hopefully I am not too late. Last year I married the love of my life but I lost her 3 weeks after the wedding. I have been struggling with hard depression, but I don't want to quit and try anything to keep me going. Perhaps flying will.

There is a local flying club that offers training all the way to commercial. I am not sure if it is part 61 or 141 or anything at all. But it sure looked fun.

I think I can self study ground school materials though right?
Any recommendations for me to read other than what I posted in the pic?

Any other advice in general.... I would really appreciate it.

Thank everyone!
Old 05-16-2019, 07:24 PM
In a land of unicorns

Joined APC: Apr 2014
Position: Whale FO

I hate to be that guy, but you need to get your medical sorted before doing anything. Depression is a serious condition and will be a huge roadblock on your way.
Old 05-16-2019, 08:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I see... Thanks!
Old 05-16-2019, 08:47 PM
Layover Master

Joined APC: Jan 2013
Position: Seated

Sorry for your loss, can’t imagine going through that.
You’ve got the right books, but practical application will make them 100% more useful. Find out what your local flight club provides. How many instructors they have, what their availability is, how long they’ve been there etc. Depending on your availability and schedule, you could knock out a private pilot’s license in 3-4 months, but that would be HEAVILY dependent on you flying/studying 4-5 days a week at times and having instructors that can do the same. Realistically, most people take almost a year to get their private. Knocking it out fast will solidify the knowledge more, and save you considerably financially.
Shop around for the flight school that suits you best.
Cheers,
PC
Old 05-16-2019, 09:11 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by dera View Post
I hate to be that guy, but you need to get your medical sorted before doing anything. Depression is a serious condition and will be a huge roadblock on your way.
He's right. You'll need to be off meds, and clear of any depression or anxiety condition for several months before you'd be eligible for a medical.

The silver lining is that if the condition is situational, ie triggered by the tragedy in your life, odds are good that you can get a clean diagnosis and breeze through the FAA process. But you need to have meds and treatment behind you. You may want to contact an aeromedical consultant before you talk to an AME or the FAA, just so you don't say or do anything which might make the process harder. Or at least talk to a local 1C AME before you actually apply for a medical.

If it's a one time (ie not chronic or recurring) situation, then once you get your 1C medical, it will not affect your potential career in the future.

Last edited by rickair7777; 05-17-2019 at 06:22 AM. Reason: typo
Old 05-16-2019, 11:19 PM
Gets Weekends Off

That’s great advice! Thank you very much.
I have been off antidepressants for a few weeks. Just taking something to help me sleep nowadays.

I will talk to necessary people get this sorted out. This wasn’t something that I previously that about. Thanks for pointing this out!
Old 05-17-2019, 06:22 AM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by PurringRaccoon View Post
That’s great advice! Thank you very much.
I have been off antidepressants for a few weeks. Just taking something to help me sleep nowadays.

I will talk to necessary people get this sorted out. This wasn’t something that I previously that about. Thanks for pointing this out!
Probably need to get off sleep meds too, talk to someone about that as well.

There are some threads on these topics here: https://www.airlinepilotforums.com/pilot-health/

Best of Luck.