Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Pilot Health
Med review transferred from region to OKC? >

Med review transferred from region to OKC?

Search
Notices
Pilot Health FAA medical; health topics

Med review transferred from region to OKC?

Search this Thread

Old 06-05-2019, 12:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: Speed tape and prayers
Default Med review transferred from region to OKC?

I got in touch with my region again today. Now they said that it is being worked in Oklahoma since it was a cardiac issue (corrected) and all they can see is that there is a note for a letter to be sent to me. Not sure what that all means, but I guess I can just sit tight and wait.... anyone else been through that?
Old 06-05-2019, 11:07 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2016

I had a stroke in April 2016, and started the review process about a year and half later. First the FAA sent me a letter saying that I would be eligible for review after 2 years from the stroke and to send new test results for my MRI, high blood pressure and diabetes and sleep study after May 1st 2018. That was done, then I received another letter in July for more information on my CPAP that was just started in May and documented in the pervious requested information. That was done and I received another letter in December wanting a new medical application to be filed. So I filled out the medexpress form and had my AME do a new first class medical. Its now been over three years from my stroke that I was fully recovered from in about two months and the FAA now wants a Neuropsychological exam, carotid ultrasound and hypercoagulopathy blood panel done. Unfortunately the FAA can extend their requests out indefinitely, there was no reason that they could not have told me all these items in the first letter, none of the additional items built on results from the previously requested items (Except the CPAP info). To date the additional testing requested has added up to about $5000.00 plus and there is no guarantee that I will not receive another letter after these last items are sent in, not to mention the fact that they took over a year to look over my stuff, but they want a answer from me in 30 days. I wish you the best of luck and hope yours is speedier than mine has been.
Old 06-06-2019, 01:04 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Wow! Mine is under review for a simple ablation surgery that corrected an SVT type of arrhythmia, on the FAA site they made it seem like the most clearable type of heart issue to have, so I hope it doesn't take nearly as long as that. When it was with my regional office, I could bug them on status every little while, but at OKC that doesn't seem possible, number is always too busy.

I sincerely hope they stop having you jump through hoops as well!
Old 06-06-2019, 10:32 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Oct 2016

Best time to reach OKC is when they first open in the morning. I tried at every time of the day and would get the sorry we have too many callers, please try at a later time, any other time. Usually first thing in the morning I would get through with a 5-10 minute wait and usually got Ron most of the time, to the point that one day I told him "I think your the only one working there, every time I call you answer." They will put you on hold about 3-5 minutes while they look up your file and most likely come back with the standard "It under review". I even received letters from them the same day I spoke with them on the phone and still got the "It's under review" answer, so just expect that. I also checked under the Airman's Information section of the FAA website, but it also never said anything other than "no medical information available", so that doesn't help either unless they actual issue your medical before you receive it. My simulator partner when I was at ExpressJet did have a stint put in before coming there and the FAA approved him, but I'm not sure how long his wait was. Again best of luck, just keep calling every couple of weeks and send in any items they request and hopefully they will approve you as quick as possible.
Old 06-07-2019, 06:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks for the help. I got through only to find my supporting paperwork was somehow nowhere to be found. I got a direct contact to email my paperwork to. Persistence!! Thanks again!
Old 06-10-2019, 03:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Btw, I highly recommend making a contact at your regional office, it truly helps things along! I am not done yet, but they have reviewed my app and requested further items, so it's progress. The computer systems are all linked so even though my app is officially with OKC, my regional office helped me get it squared away. I hope this helps anyone else waiting.
Old 08-16-2019, 07:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Just got word today that my medical was approved and being mailed out to me! Finally can get back in the air!
Old 08-16-2019, 01:17 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jun 2019

Originally Posted by Wildflyin View Post
Just got word today that my medical was approved and being mailed out to me! Finally can get back in the air!
Congratulations!
Old 08-16-2019, 02:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks! I have never killed so many trees to convince someone I was healthy before