UPS and the AirInc. job fair.

Notices
Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines

UPS and the AirInc. job fair.

Old 05-11-2007, 03:01 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2007
Default UPS and the AirInc. job fair.

Hello, I'm new to this forum. Thanks to all of you for the good information.

I'm considering attending the AirInc. job fair in Atlanta next week. As a regional captain who used to meet the UPS minimums (no transoceanic time), I'm wondering if It's worth the trip. Does attending one of these job fairs ever lead to an interview with UPS?

From what I have read on this forum, my '06 Second Officer application, which for some reason is still active on the upsjobs.com site, is no good. I do continue to update it however, since it is the only application I have on file and it gives me some false sense of hope.

As of the closing of this last application window, I don't meet the current minimums, and the application I do have on file is probably obsolete.

Having said that, I'd really like to fly for UPS. A trip to Atlanta would be a very small price to pay if it were to lead to something.

I'd appreciate any advice you might have.

Thanks.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Spartan

Go! I went last November and spoke with Phil D. Called to interview in January. When they called to confirm info it was from the resume I handed over in person. I had a few recs on file too. I'm not a huge fan of forking over all that cash for 3 minutes of face time but it worked in my case. Never heard anything from CAL from that trip.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2005

Originally Posted by Bosco View Post
Having said that, I'd really like to fly for UPS. A trip to Atlanta would be a very small price to pay
Think you pretty much answered your own question.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006

Go...I think that's what did the trick for me...If you have a friend or two at UPS, have them stop by HR after the seminar and check on your status. Face time is worth a lot with the folks that make the hiring decisions...Good luck!

B2P
Old 05-11-2007, 06:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006

300 plus pilots standing in line at the AirInc fair in Jan. Maybe you get lucky and talk to Phil or Buz, maybe not. The same was true for FedEx, SWA, and CAL. About half that for AirTran. The other companies were a lot less. I thought AirInc was a waste of time for the majors. Go to OBAP or WIA. Totally different. You also need the '07 app. My opinion only, comparing new hires from '06 to '07 seems like apples and oranges. YMMV.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Bidding Time Off

You can jumpseat. Very cheap to go. I paid a full fare and it was still a good deal like Slice said. Wait you turn in line and realize they would not go to these job fairs if they were not out to hire some pilots. Worst case--wait in line twice. What else do you have to do? Maybe it will be you. If you do not try the answer is no. The Ocean experience requirement will not last forever.

Fish.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Bidding Time Off

Originally Posted by So Wonwee View Post
300 plus pilots standing in line at the AirInc fair in Jan. Maybe you get lucky and talk to Phil or Buz, maybe not. The same was true for FedEx, SWA, and CAL. About half that for AirTran. The other companies were a lot less. I thought AirInc was a waste of time for the majors. Go to OBAP or WIA. Totally different. You also need the '07 app. My opinion only, comparing new hires from '06 to '07 seems like apples and oranges. YMMV.
Are you saying previous hires are not qualified compared to you in your humble opinion?

Fish
Old 05-11-2007, 08:26 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: 737 FO

Maybe you get lucky and talk to Phil or Buz, maybe not.
The AIR Inc. Airlines Attending website for next weeks ATL jobfair states that "United Parcel Service (UPS) reps Attending are: Shamika Chandler, Human Resources Representative; Pam Lee-Habenstein, Employment Supervisor"
i.e. Phil and Buz won't be there. Any thoughts on how that changes the worth of attending?
Old 05-11-2007, 08:43 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: DC-8

Just so you know who Sharnika Chandler is??? Shes number 2 in Pilot Recruitment (When Phil takes the day off, She is the HMFIC...) and has ALOT to do with what happens in Pilot hiring here at UPS. Not to mention, a really nice person...

Pam Lee is kinda new in PR, but still a top end player for selection of who get hired, same as Phil and Sharnika...

Good Luck

BBDC8
Old 05-12-2007, 10:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by FR8Dingo View Post
The AIR Inc. Airlines Attending website for next weeks ATL jobfair states that "United Parcel Service (UPS) reps Attending are: Shamika Chandler, Human Resources Representative; Pam Lee-Habenstein, Employment Supervisor"
i.e. Phil and Buz won't be there. Any thoughts on how that changes the worth of attending?
Doesn't change a thing IMHO...The non-flying folks are just as important to speak with as the flying folks are...and I'm sure Phil, Buz or someone from the flying side will come whether they're listed now or not. I agree with hitting the line twice...meet as many of the people there as you can.

B2P