Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Flight Schools and Training
The true definition of "Solo" flight >

The true definition of "Solo" flight

Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

The true definition of "Solo" flight

Old 05-25-2007, 01:40 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: C172S, PA44
Default The true definition of "Solo" flight

There is a lot of discrepancy in this subject, but flying "Solo" according to F.A.R 61.87 applies towards students and does not mention licensed pilots. But it states that you must be the sole occupant of the aircraft to classify being solo, even though your girlfriend or your dog does not know how to fly the airplane.

Does anybody know about this? Can you log solo time if your passenger does not have a clue as to how to fly the airplane?
Old 05-25-2007, 05:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: 737/FO

Originally Posted by PhantomAir View Post
There is a lot of discrepancy in this subject, but flying "Solo" according to F.A.R 61.87 applies towards students and does not mention licensed pilots. But it states that you must be the sole occupant of the aircraft to classify being solo, even though your girlfriend or your dog does not know how to fly the airplane.

Does anybody know about this? Can you log solo time if your passenger does not have a clue as to how to fly the airplane?
You must be the sole occupant. It's actually defined in 61.51(d) Logging of solo flight time. "...a pilot may log as solo flight time only that flight time when the pilot is the sole occupant of the aircraft." Your dog doesn't count, but your girlfriend would, even if she doesn't know anything about flying.
Old 05-25-2007, 06:12 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: earning pro rata soon

Originally Posted by PhantomAir View Post
even though your dog does not know how to fly the airplane.
Hey my dog is actually pretty good
Old 05-25-2007, 07:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: UPS 757/767 Capt ONT

You can be the only one in the plane. If you're a student pilot, it's illegal to have anyone else in the plane. (and unethical, I think)(and the insurance company wouldn't pay)(and if you were my student, I'd drop you like rock).

There is something about logging solo in a twin even though your CFI is onboard, I think, for insurance reasons.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:50 AM
Line Holder

I have heard a few commercial students as well as a CFI at my school mention that during their commercial training when they were supposed to be on solo cross countries, they stopped and picked up friends/family at small airstrips along the route...is this technically against the rules?

Last edited by MikeInTx; 05-25-2007 at 07:59 AM.
Old 05-25-2007, 07:54 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Spartan

Are you hinting at logging solo even though you have your PPL? The only time to ever log anything in the solo column is solo flight, before you are a licensed pilot. It's not cool to carry folks before you are supposed to. It certainly has been done before but shows a lack of maturity and judgment.
Old 05-25-2007, 08:03 AM
Line Holder

Originally Posted by Slice View Post
Are you hinting at logging solo even though you have your PPL? The only time to ever log anything in the solo column is solo flight, before you are a licensed pilot. It's not cool to carry folks before you are supposed to. It certainly has been done before but shows a lack of maturity and judgment.
Agreed...only a complete jack-ass would carry passengers as a student pilot...i was referring to folks with at least a PPL picking up people to share the experience of the cross-country flight required for training, and then logging it as a solo flight...
Old 05-25-2007, 11:05 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: C172S, PA44

Originally Posted by WEACLRS View Post
You must be the sole occupant. It's actually defined in 61.51(d) Logging of solo flight time. "...a pilot may log as solo flight time only that flight time when the pilot is the sole occupant of the aircraft." Your dog doesn't count, but your girlfriend would, even if she doesn't know anything about flying.
Thanks. I guess I would have found that out if I would have just turned back a few pages
Old 05-25-2007, 11:18 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Spartan

Originally Posted by MikeInTx View Post
Agreed...only a complete jack-ass would carry passengers as a student pilot...i was referring to folks with at least a PPL picking up people to share the experience of the cross-country flight required for training, and then logging it as a solo flight...
Sorry, I was referring to post # 1. My point being (PhantomAir)if you already have a PPL there's no reason to ever use the solo column to log time in powered fixed wing airplanes.
Old 05-25-2007, 02:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007
Position: JS32 FO

You can log it as solo (provided you are indeed alone), but like Slice said, it doesn't really have any value.