Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines

United Way

Old 09-23-2007, 07:27 PM
ScumSeeker

Default United Way

http://findarticles.com/p/articles/m...12247613/pg_1#

Old 09-23-2007, 07:31 PM
ScumSeeker

The United Way Scandal: An Insider's Account of What Went Wrong and Why (Nonprofit Law, Finance, and Management Professional) (Hardcover)
by John S. Glaser (Author)

Old 09-23-2007, 07:33 PM
ScumSeeker

FREE hit counter and Internet traffic statistics from freestats.com
Trent Stamp's Take

The president of Charity Navigator gives an insider's perspective to the inspiring, intriguing, and sometimes idiotic inner workings of the world of non-profits and charities.
Monday, May 22, 2006
Today's United Way Scandal
Charity Navigator used to evaluate the Washington, DC United Way. We removed their rating in 2003 because, after a financial accounting scandal, we were unsure of the data and didn't want to reward them for their financial improprieties.

Now we learn that their new CFO, brought in to help clean up the books, has resigned, charging that the scandal-ridden organization is exaggerating the amount of money it has raised. I guess we won't be putting them back up on our site again anytime soon.

posted by Trent Stamp at 2:23 PM
15 Comments:

Old 09-23-2007, 07:35 PM
ScumSeeker

Trent Stamp's Take

The president of Charity Navigator gives an insider's perspective to the inspiring, intriguing, and sometimes idiotic inner workings of the world of non-profits and charities.
Sunday, January 28, 2007
Another United Way Scandal?
You may remember that the United Way of New York City suffered through a scandal last year, when it was revealed that its former leader, Ralph Dickerson Jr., used over $200K of donor money for his own use, including $50,000 alone on his dry cleaning. And that memory may cause you to, like me, raise your eyebrows a tad over the announcement that Mr. Dickerson's successor, Lawrence Mandell, will suddenly retire this summer.

Mr. Mandell's retirement may be, as he states, a chance for him to spend more time with his family.

But, as the New York Times excellently points out, there may also be a bit more to the story.

According to the Times, Mr. Mandell was "committed to a longer tenure." However, according to employees at the United Way, the board "had become concerned that Mr. Mandell was failing to follow procedures involving large grant approval." In recent weeks, an internal investigation into the group's handling of assets had been undertaken. This included interviews with staff and the confiscation of computer hard drives (this is always a really bad sign, at least it is when I'm watching Law & Order), and culminated last week in a meeting between the board and Mr. Mandell, at which Mr. Mandell "did a lot of screaming and yelling."

And then he resigned. "Suddenly."

If all of these things happened under my watch, I'd probably want to spend more time with my family too.

Labels: dry cleaning, Lawrence Mandell, Ralph Dickerson, United Way

posted by Trent Stamp at 4:32 PM
2 Comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm afraid this same thing may be happening at the Fox Valley United Way in Aurora, IL. This United Way, according to their website has taken in over 2.6 million dollars; though that amount appears to be debatable.

Here is the address of an interesting local blog (www.openlineblog.com, under "What's Going On At The United Way?" from 3/27/07)- be sure to check out the audit at www.fvunitedway.org for 2004/2005. This audit took over a year for them to produce, with the audit for 2003/2004 making its first debut simultaneously after 2 years in the making. The audit for the year ending June 30, 2006 has yet to be produced. The expenses of this organization for the 2004/2005 year came close to tripling in 1 year (the year she apparently took over as E.D.). The year prior fell under a different E.D.'s watch, but Ms. Stull was serving as Financial Director at the time, and in charge of all accounting.

Many agencies appear to have been unpaid according to the blog and the character of its ex-E.D. is under heavy fire from many. She apparently resigned under some degree of suspicion after just 18 months as E.D., though she has apparently worked for the UW for 7 or 8 years. The original press release stated that she left of her own accord to pursue other opportunities. An article appearing in the local Beacon News now states that she left for "personal reasons". Interesting to note is that she is actually still employed there as a consultant or contractor of some sort - ? Also of interest is that the Mayor has funneled hundreds of thousands of dollars to the United Way, while serving on its board.

After reviewing the blog and the audit, I am interested to hear any feedback you may have; and, would like to know that with a non-governmental organization such as this, who investigates these sort of things?
8:25 PM
Anonymous said...

One minor clarification - the money being funneled to the FVUW by the Mayor is taxpayer money, not his own.

Old 09-24-2007, 05:55 AM
...Whatever It Is!

Joined APC: Jul 2006

The final straw for me was the boy scout fiasco a number of years ago. Not a penny for UW from me since! Donations directly to Boy Scouts of America are better anyway!
Old 09-24-2007, 06:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

Yep...I'm with MD11F8Dog. When I realized that my contributions couldnt' be sent to an "intolerant" or "religious" organization like the scouts, I decided the UW was no longer supporting some values I hold pretty important. I realized when I gave my money to my church, local charities, and local causes, not only did I reduce (some) of the overhead, but got to see the results a little closer to home. Sorry, but saying there is a God and not allowing homosexual men to be appointed leaders of young, impressionable teens and pre-teens don't seem to be "intolerant", but rather solid values and common sense. You don't have to agree--but I quit funding groups that seem to determine to undermine what I consider to be traditional American values. I know that some of the money I give back to the church goes to our local boy scout and girl scout troops, the local homeless, as well as supporting local causes. Don't get to see any cute ads on Sunday featuring any of the stuff we support, but we do get to see the results regularly.

The NFL does some great UW ads, but I got weary of the military push for 100% contributions to the CFC. It got to the point long ago that nobody gave a damn about what we accomplished, but rather that our unit met its "goal". When folks balked at that, the goal became "participation", amount wasn't important. I supported the AF Aid group but quit doing any of the CFC charities a few years back. Never got badgered, but did have to lok at a few supervisors in the face and say "nope--not playing..." At FedEx, we get an email from a CP every year, and that's about it. Thank God for the seniority system...

And in Memphis...we may debate the nice and not so nice of our Headquarters city, but if you haven't choked by tears when you've seen the kids waiting for the St Jude pickup when you were waiting for the crew van, you probably don't have a heart (or have every had kids...) There is PLENTY the MEM crowd (and the rest of us) can do locally without ever giving a dime to UW. Let the football players do their part--I'll stick to the local stuff. If I had extra time or money to give in that town, there is a great place to put some of your efforts. A good friend at FedEx lost his son to cancer a few years back--but St Jude provided some of the care and treatment. I hope and pray I never need their services, but having seen how they treated my friend's family I will always be a fan of St Jude's. I am also impressed with the huge number of pilots who have donated their time visiting and cheering those kids. I think I do better just reaching for my wallet, as I don't seem to have the emotional metal to hang around some of those kids without tearing up...
Old 09-24-2007, 06:43 AM
...Whatever It Is!

Joined APC: Jul 2006

Originally Posted by Albief15 View Post
At FedEx, we get an email from a CP every year, and that's about it.

When I first pulled my UW contribution I got a number of emails from the company UW guy (and also from my ACP, CW) practically begging me to reconsider and that I could earmark the funds to Memphis Boy Scouts (he didn't care that I lived in NJ at the time ). I finally got him to cancel my contribution mid year. Then, when the new contribution year started, guess what. I was getting money deducted for UW again without my authorization. I was pretty livid, but they stopped it and reimbursed me the couple months that had gone by before I had noticed! I wish there was some way to get that big UW frame and logo off of the p.f.c website homepage.
Old 09-24-2007, 06:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006

Speaking of donating, and St. Judes... A great way to 'give' that doesn't cost a dime is to donate platelets at St. Jude. It takes about an hour, and there is NO flight limitation like donating blood. I checked with Dr. Kendall on this. You can directly, positively affect a kid's life and it don't cost nothin'. Literally.

Next time you're in town, make a few extra hours and call 901-495-2024. Every donation saves St. Judes about a grand...

Last edited by Lippy; 09-24-2007 at 03:52 PM.
Old 09-24-2007, 08:18 AM
Nice lookin' tree, there!

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: MD-11, old man
Default I love technology

I just received a "thank you" note from the web site for my $0.00/pay check deduction to benefit the United Way.
fbh
Old 09-24-2007, 09:17 AM
Are we there yet??!!

Joined APC: Apr 2006

Originally Posted by MD11Fr8Dog View Post
The final straw for me was the boy scout fiasco a number of years ago. Not a penny for UW from me since! Donations directly to Boy Scouts of America are better anyway!
I am glad I am not the only one that feels the same way. Also, I learned a few years back that the opearting budget for overhead and salaries is more than 51% of the money the take in. Some charity