Notices
Other Regional Airlines

Commutair

Old 09-30-2007, 02:56 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Default Commutair

Does anyone have any opinions about Commutair? I couldn't find too many threads about it. I know they don't pay much but overall is it a good place to work?
Old 09-30-2007, 10:47 PM
La Familia Delta

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: B-717 FO / C-17 AC

I interviewed there a long time ago (total mom and pop feel to their HQ) and heres what i hear from a couple people who recently left. $19 an hour, flying a B1900 (1 year seat lock, doubt youll can get the dash till later) with no autopilot through the country's worst weather, commuting to the tiniest airports (most likely plattsburgh). pay for your own uniforms etc. youll upgrade very fast but you can do so anywhere else as well. the flying will put hair on your chest but why risk your life in that deathtrap when you can go somewhere else.
Old 10-01-2007, 02:37 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2007

I have a friend who is there, he went there after some poor treatment (putting it mildly) during training for another regional. He used to work for Commutair in another capacity and was welcomed back with open arms. He's really enjoying himself there every time I talk to him and he's in training for the Dash 8 this month. There are no more classes going to the 1900, everybody is going to Dash 8 training now as the 1900 is on its way out.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:06 AM
Sequester bait

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: UH-60, AS-350, C-550

I interviewed 2 weeks ago. All classes are now for CLE -8 F/O's. Upgrade historically 2 years, but will probably be dropping some, IMHO.
Old 10-01-2007, 05:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: CR7 Capt

Originally Posted by beeker View Post
What would you like to know? You will only go to the Dash-8. Plattsburgh closes at the end of Oct. Upgrade is a little higher then 2 years. We do have some 2 and 1/2 year fo's but once they upgrade it will drop to about a 1 and 1/2. Upgrades will be coming once they can figure out the staffing and we get back to a single fleet airline. Since the summer our attrition is higher then our hiring. As an example, for oct it was calculated that if EVERY beech captain worked EVERY day of the bid we still have 20ish work days uncovered. That was before 4 beech captains gave their notices last week and one more is rumored to have a job offer, so that could be another one shortly. Dash captain are also just slightly thin and one gave their notice last week. I have had no complaints since I've been here. The comment about risking your life on the deathtraps was completely incorrect. Unless you don't know how to fly. You might want to look into that ghilis101.

The Burgh is closing, wow. My old home. HAHE. That was some good times up there. Is Big Sky going to start flying out of there? Glad to see its going fairly well.
Old 10-01-2007, 07:22 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2007

I was just wondering about work rules, days off, what the future of the company looks like stuff like that. Trying to figure out if I should go there or wait for more multi (which may take another 4 or 5 months).
Old 10-02-2007, 10:37 PM
La Familia Delta

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: B-717 FO / C-17 AC

Originally Posted by beeker View Post
The comment about risking your life on the deathtraps was completely incorrect. Unless you don't know how to fly. You might want to look into that ghilis101.
nope id rather not look into it and if the definition of knowing how to fly is being a B1900 pilot, then i dont want to know how to fly. thats some hard flying and i commend those of you who do it so take it as a compliment and leave it at that. and thats cool youll be an all dash fleet, still a tprop deathtrap though - if you cant tell i have a giant fear of props
Old 10-04-2007, 12:17 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Niner View Post
Does anyone have any opinions about Commutair? I couldn't find too many threads about it. I know they don't pay much but overall is it a good place to work?
It's gotta be some of the best 121-flying around! Of course, just a stepping-stone for most going on to greener pastures, but a blast while you're there no doubt. Where in the NE are you from?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Originally Posted by ghilis101 View Post
if the definition of knowing how to fly is being a 1900 pilot, then i dont want to know how to fly. thats some hard flying and i commend those of you who do it so take it as a compliment and leave it at that. if you cant tell i have a giant fear of props
i dont think anyone said anything along the lines of youre not a real pilot unless you fly or have flown a 1900. whats with the fear of props though ghilis, you know theyre safer than jets!?
Old 10-04-2007, 12:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by mccube5 View Post
i dont think anyone said anything along the lines of youre not a real pilot unless you fly or have flown a 1900. whats with the fear of props though ghilis, you know theyre safer than jets!?
And even Jets are safer than driving (or so they say!).