Notices

UAL domicile bid ?

Old 02-10-2008, 03:38 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: Unical 73
Default UAL domicile bid ?

Starting class in March and was wondering how domicile bids are handled. How often are they done? I understand that awards are bid on day 2 of class and you can swap while still in TK. My question is once done with training how often are transfers awarded?
Old 02-10-2008, 05:04 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: guppy CA

Originally Posted by Colonel S View Post
Starting class in March and was wondering how domicile bids are handled. How often are they done? I understand that awards are bid on day 2 of class and you can swap while still in TK. My question is once done with training how often are transfers awarded?
You can bid for a lateral immediately after your award. Just ask anyone at TK how to fill out a bidreq on unimatic. I recommend keeping your bidreq blank unless you want an award. I didn't clear out my bidreq screen prior to being furloughed. When I got recalled, I was awarded a 767 to DCA. The very next vacancy bid, I got a lateral to LAX. After the award, I went to a flight office and had them load in a request for a 767 FO DCA. I got awarded that and am back to being assigned to DCA.
I'll be returning in April, so my DCA bid should be reactivated by then.

Can you be specific as to where you're wanting to go and which aircraft you want? For instance, if you want Seattle, you'll be waiting for quite a while. DCA, ORD, SFO, and LAX should be fairly easy to get.
Old 02-10-2008, 05:28 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: Unical 73

Trying to get DEN but from the last few classes and my ss# I dont think i will get it right out of the gate, dont really care about aircraft. Just kinda curious what kind of wait to get DEN. Thanks for the info
Old 02-10-2008, 06:12 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2008

If ORD is available on the 320, there are at least 2 trades posted on the bulletin board trying to get out of DEN and into ORD. When you report for new hire class, there will be a bulletin board across from the classroom in the hallway. If you don't get DEN, you can post your trade there as well. You can trade this way while in training at TK. Once you complete training then the lateral bid is your best option to transfer bases.
Old 02-10-2008, 06:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

For SSN, the lower last 4 the better. Mine is 07xx. I was #4 of 28; #1 and 2 were previous UAL employees so they went to the front of the line.

First, I HIGHLY recommend that you live in domicile. In your case, driving distance of DIA. You don't want to commute; it'll take years off of your life. It's doable, but decreases QOL bigtime.

Let me give you junior man in seat from Jan's SSC report:
737:
Den: 8085
ORD: 8071
DCA: 8044
Fifi:
DEN: 8083
ORD: 8079
DCA: 8034
LAX: 8074
SFO: 8021
Those numbers are seniority numbers; the higher, the more junior.

There are more airbus bids, so I'd recommend bidding fifi. And I'd do it in the following order (based on personal experiences for commutability): DEN, LAX, SFO/ORD, DCA. SFO and ORD are a tossup; I'd go for SFO ahead of ORD because there are a ton of commuters to ORD, not as much to SFO.
Chances are, there will only be a couple of guppies in your class and I'd expect it to go reasonably high (but I find it odd that junior man in system is 737 DEN). If your only choices remaining are the guppy, I'd rank order: DEN, ORD, DCA.

If you don't get DEN right away, you should be able to get it fairly soon after training. Unless vacancy bids stop, you'll get it within 6 months. Good luck to ya.

Edit: full reverse has some great advice. I guess that'd move ORD up the list for bidding for ya; just make sure before bidding that those guys haven't traded yet. And ask anyone ahead of you in class if they intend to trade with one of the guys looking for a trade.
There shouldn't be any reason for the more senior guys to screw over the junior ones. In my class, I made it very clear that I'd be taking a panel to ORD, as did the guy senior to me. Those lower in the class were able to do the mental gymnastics. Also, I wouldn't hesitate to ask anyone in front of you with ORD fifi bids if they planned on trading them for DEN just prior to bidding.
Old 02-11-2008, 07:13 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks for all the great advice however I have a few simple questions as I am heading out to TK soon.

1) We have heard DCA is a pain to commute to due to the MIA domicile move. What is the order on difficulty of commute for LCO new hires?

2) Can you all take a guess what a bottom of the class new hire might end up with in upcoming classes at TK?

3) Where is fastest off reserve domicile going to be in the future?

I know those weren't easy questions but gathering opinions helps...
Old 02-11-2008, 07:32 AM
Gets Weekends Off

dv, I'll take stabs at them, but those aren't easy to answer.

1 - Where would you be commuting from? Miami? I don't know if domicile would matter that much. I haven't nonreved to/from MIA very much, so I don't know the degree of difficulty.
You need to state exactly where you're commuting from.

2 - No guess at all. It looks like the bottom of a previous class got fifi to DEN. When I went through, that wouldn't have happened. The next class could easily get SFO or ORD.

3 - Traditionally, it's been ORD and SFO. Now, I don't have a clue.

Where do you want to live and where do you want to domicile?
Old 02-11-2008, 08:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Thanks Andy...

I'm in South Florida. FLL and PBI and best for communting. MIA last choice. I've heard DCA is a bear to get to from down here.

Looking for ORD domicile but close if not on the 8ball in class.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

dv, you'll have to cover all three bases out of DCA - DCA, IAD and BWI. Well, now that I think about it, I'm not sure if BWI has 737s or airbuses going there, so you may not need to cover that one. Although IAD is going to be the primary you fly in/out of.

Both ORD/MDW and IAD/DCA will have a decent number of flights. You'll not want to limit yourself to UAL jumpseat; I've jumped more on offline carriers than online.
Pick an airport that you'd prefer to fly out of - FLL or PBI. You may need to test each airport for a while, but I'd bet that FLL will be your first choice since you'll have multiple carriers out of there.
Then you're going to want to check on availability to ORD/MDW and IAD/DCA. For MDW, it's just an L (their mass transit) train ride to ORD, with one connection. For DCA, you can take the Metro to West Falls Church station and then catch the Washington Flyer (they give an airline discount; show your ID). For BWI, I've rented one way from Avis for ~$25. I'm sure that there's cheaper transportation, but I haven't figured it out.

I don't know which carriers serve FLL and PBI; I imagine JetBlue (direct IAD), USAirways (direct DCA), Southwest (direct BWI), along with several other carriers - either direct or with stops. You might also want to check on carriers such as Apple Vacations and other package carriers which may serve Chicago/DC direct.

I really don't think that it's going to matter if you go with ORD or DCA; both commutes are doable. I discount the comments about MIA hub closing; that's been closed for years and I'm sure that more than a couple of the pilots from that hub are now based out of ORD.
I think that you'll figure in pretty short order which hub you'd prefer to commute to.

Out of all of your choices, I'd rank ORD/DCA as 1/2 (your choice), then DEN, then LAX, then SFO. That's my best estimates of pain involved with a commute.

Unless you're firmly rooted in the MIA area, you may want to move to improve your QOL.
Old 02-11-2008, 09:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Your probably right about the MIA base thing...that was awhile ago.

Thanks Andy...very helpful.