Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Regional
Coming straight out of college versus flight instructing for a while before Regionals >

Coming straight out of college versus flight instructing for a while before Regionals

Search
Notices
Regional Regional Airlines

Coming straight out of college versus flight instructing for a while before Regionals

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 07:08 PM
marlonmoneda1

Default Coming straight out of college versus flight instructing for a while before Regionals

I flight instructed (full time) and have been out of college for almost 2 years now before landing a regional job. Has anybody else noticed that the guys coming relatively straight out of college have an easier time adjusting to class than somebody who has been out of the loop for a while

I personally thought this was the case, maybe thats just me.

My brain hurt the first week, but now its fine...lol.

Old 02-18-2008, 07:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005
Position: Retired

2 years is a lot better than some of the guys that are 40+ and have been out of that type of learning environment for 20 years.

You'll be fine. Take a day off during the weekend, and an hour or two after class to watch TV, have a beer, work out, or stare at the wall and you'll be fine.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:20 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 7ER B...whatever that means.

Originally Posted by Pilotpip View Post
2 years is a lot better than some of the guys that are 40+ and have been out of that type of learning environment for 20 years.

You'll be fine. Take a day off during the weekend, and an hour or two after class to watch TV, have a beer, work out, or stare at the wall and you'll be fine.
I agree. I did the same thing (CFI for about 2 years before going to the regionals) and it was TOUGH to sit in a class room from 8-5 Monday through Friday. I got in the habit of not touching any training materials for about an hour or so after I got back to the hotel each night. I'd usually watch tv and catch up with friends via email and IM, sit out at the pool with some of the guys and have a beer or go for a run. Then I'd study for an hour or so, have dinner (usually with flash cards or systems manual in tow), study flows and whatever else for another hour or two and then bed by 11ish. Worked like a champ. Also made sure to take time to decompress each weekend by going out/getting stupid.
Old 02-18-2008, 07:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Math Teacher

Originally Posted by Pilotpip View Post

And what's wrong with being 40+ and out of the "learning environment" for 20 years? Being in that age group has afforded me some very rewarding life experiences; some of which I'm sure I will use during my training and maybe...just maybe instructing!!!

LOL.

atp
Old 02-18-2008, 07:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: the correct seat

He wasn't saying there's something wrong. He was saying that it's easier to get back into it after 2yrs vs. 20 years.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:51 AM
ULTP-Ultra Low Tier Pilot

Joined APC: Dec 2007

If you brain goes to mush because you took a year off to instruct, that's sad. Your brain will stay sharp in the fact that you will be covering the same information over and over to all of your students so if anything you are sharper.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:09 PM
marlonmoneda1

Red face

Instructing private and instrument students all day does nothing in terms of keeping my brain used to processing and remembering large amounts of completely new information. All it does is solidify what I learned before (going over and over the same material), especially if 5 of 11 students are all at about the same lesson and on the same day...Simply repetition. Sometimes you'd learn something new or review old material every once and a while to freshen up for a new lesson...

Spending a full day going over almost the same stuff over and over is completely different I think, than spending a full day of going a new concept or rule every minute for 8 hours a day, every day. Just my opinion that when your brain retraces old neuron pathways it is much different than constantly building new pathways...

Im two days away from finshing systems and its almost too easy these days...just that first week I could definitely remember my head being super exhausted by the end of the day...not so these days...

Old 02-19-2008, 04:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: the correct seat

Originally Posted by The Juice View Post
If you brain goes to mush because you took a year off to instruct, that's sad.
A year!?!? woooooow

My brain cells start to disintegrate 5 minutes after I hand in the exam.
Old 02-19-2008, 04:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007

why not just instruct/fly charter while you're still in college? That's what I did and went to a regional when I graduated with 2000TT and 600MEL at 23 yrs old.
Old 02-19-2008, 06:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Desk

Originally Posted by TXTECHKA View Post
why not just instruct/fly charter while you're still in college? That's what I did and went to a regional when I graduated with 2000TT and 600MEL at 23 yrs old.
I'm a junior in college and instruct, but I still would like more hours before I graduate. If you don't mind me asking, where were you able to find a charter job that you could fly for during school?