Mergers and Acquisitions Facts, rumors, and conjecture

No NWA/DAL deal?

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2008, 07:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2005
Position: 767ER capt
Default No NWA/DAL deal?

I'm just returning from a trip, and don't have the time or patience to wade through over 1000 posts, but the DALPA boards seem to indicate that the merger is a no go. It may be all rumor and innuendo; are you NWA guys hearing the same thing?

Prior to leaving on my trip, I was told by my LEC reps that mgmt was committed to not doing a deal unless the pilots had an agreement, as they wanted to avoid a USAir style train wreck. I hope they keep their word on that. Neither pilot group should have to work in the hostile environment that would result from a shotgun wedding.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: B747FO

No Official word for either Mgt, just more spin in the papers.
Old 03-01-2008, 08:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by CVG767A View Post
Prior to leaving on my trip, I was told by my LEC reps that mgmt was committed to not doing a deal unless the pilots had an agreement, as they wanted to avoid a USAir style train wreck. I hope they keep their word on that. Neither pilot group should have to work in the hostile environment that would result from a shotgun wedding.
I agree. It is nice to hear that we would not be forced into this if we cannot work it out. I would like to think that the negotiations are more professional than the threads I've seen on FI. That place has turned into a bash the other company mud slinging show and I am tired of it. I threw away my membership. APC seems to handle the discussions more professionally.

Merger or no merger I hope things turn out good for each group.
Old 03-01-2008, 09:13 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Aug 2006

I would like to think that the negotiations are more professional than the threads I've seen on FI.
FI? Which forum is that?
Old 03-02-2008, 05:28 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2006
Position: Dismayed

Originally Posted by flyboy1987 View Post
FI? Which forum is that?
FI is shorthand for flightinfo.com. Their discussions tend to turn into food fights.
Old 03-02-2008, 05:38 AM
APC's Hired Help

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Originally Posted by capncrunch View Post
I would like to think that the negotiations are more professional than the threads I've seen on FI. That place has turned into a bash the other company mud slinging show and I am tired of it. I threw away my membership. APC seems to handle the discussions more professionally.
That's what we strive for here. Debate all sides of an issue but do so in a civil and professional manner. Thanks to everyone for making it happen!
Old 03-02-2008, 05:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: B747FO

The latest from the Sunday Star Tribune:

Pilots in a position to make or break deal

http://www.startribune.com/business/...tml?page=1&c=y

No new info, just a re-spin of the last two weeks.
Old 03-02-2008, 09:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: A320 CA

Originally Posted by CVG767A View Post
I'm just returning from a trip, and don't have the time or patience to wade through over 1000 posts, but the DALPA boards seem to indicate that the merger is a no go. It may be all rumor and innuendo; are you NWA guys hearing the same thing?
I believe that DAL/NWA will merge regardles if they have a SLI in place if....if...if...BIG if; the shareholders and management want it to happen. They may desire a happy pilot force, but $$ talk. Do you really think they would walk away from the largest most integrated airline in the world, because pilots are unhappy? Don't think so..........
Old 03-02-2008, 10:12 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: B-737

Originally Posted by reddog25 View Post
I believe that DAL/NWA will merge regardles if they have a SLI in place if....if...if...BIG if; the shareholders and management want it to happen. They may desire a happy pilot force, but $$ talk. Do you really think they would walk away from the largest most integrated airline in the world, because pilots are unhappy? Don't think so..........
You got that right! Those that stand to gain the most will have nothing to do with the airline operation in the long term; investment bankers, law firms, major stock holders (hedge funds desperate to unload airline stocks they bought at highs).

NALPA and DALPA must understand that this is a "golden opportunity" to have some control over their destinies. If they can't come together they will be made to come together, perhaps under circumstances that are worse than if they had worked out a deal themselves. JMHO.
Old 03-02-2008, 03:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007

Originally Posted by Oldfreightdawg View Post
You got that right! Those that stand to gain the most will have nothing to do with the airline operation in the long term; investment bankers, law firms, major stock holders (hedge funds desperate to unload airline stocks they bought at highs).

NALPA and DALPA must understand that this is a "golden opportunity" to have some control over their destinies. If they can't come together they will be made to come together, perhaps under circumstances that are worse than if they had worked out a deal themselves. JMHO.

I agree. The way I understand it from listening to our union reps the whole deal (all three parts) have to be agreed to or the merger won't happen. SLI arbitration will not happen under the current deal. The other two parts have been basically accepted. Therfore no SLI no deal.

The companies can always do a deal later under the traditional method where we hear about it in the news, get nothing for the effort and succumb to SLI arbitration.

The pilot groups have to determine whether loosing substantial economic gains for both groups and work rule improvements for the NW pilots are worth protecting their seniority lists and the unknowns of a future merger without our participation.