Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2006, 05:54 PM
Fun Officer

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: Dallas, Texas
Default Northwest Strike Ballots Authorized

NWA MEC Resolution 06-06 Strike Ballot Authorization
Passed by Acclamation - NWA MEC Meeting, New York, NY, February 2, 2006

WHEREAS the NWA MEC has authorized alternative proposals regarding job protections, wages, working conditions and benefits for NWA pilots, and

WHEREAS these proposals are designed to provide NWA with the pilot contract modifications needed for NWA to successfully emerge from bankruptcy and prosper over the long-term, while providing NWA pilots with necessary job protections and competitive wages, working conditions, and benefits, and

WHEREAS the NWA MEC Negotiating Committee has reported to the NWA MEC that, despite these alternative proposals, only limited progress has been made in the negotiations to restructure the NWA pilot contract in these areas, including required job protection provisions for NWA pilots, and

WHEREAS this limited progress, though beneficial, has been insufficient to satisfy NWA pilots’ core interests of job protections including successorship, fragmentation, small jet flying, and other “outsourcing”, and

WHEREAS NWA management’s pilot cost reduction demands in the 1113c process are extreme and are not necessary for the restructuring of the company, and

WHEREAS if fully implemented management’s pilot cost reduction demands would position NWA pilots substantially below their peers in the area of pay and work rules, and

WHEREAS these job protection issues as well as the issues of wages, working conditions, and benefits must be resolved prior to the time the NWA MEC and NWA pilot group consider approving a consensual agreement, and

WHEREAS the NWA MEC strongly believes NWA pilots must be prepared to exercise a range of self-help options up to and including a strike in the event current NWA management is successful in its 1113c motion to reject the pilot collective bargaining agreement (CBA) and current NWA management imposes onerous terms and conditions of employment, including “outsourcing” of NWA pilot jobs, and

WHEREAS Article IV, Section 2.B, of the ALPA Constitution and By-Laws requires an MEC to authorize a strike ballot of the membership prior to that strike ballot being conducted, and

WHEREAS the NWA MEC fully realizes the implications of self-help options up to and including a pilot strike at NWA in the current environment,

THEREFORE BE IT RESOLVED the NWA MEC authorizes the MEC Chairman, in consultation with the MEC Negotiating Committee, to conduct a strike ballot at a time he considers appropriate, and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED this strike ballot, once directed by the MEC Chairman, will be conducted in accordance with ALPA electronic balloting procedures, and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED the NWA MEC strongly encourages all NWA pilots to vote in favor of the strike authorization to support the defense of NWA pilot job protections, wages, working conditions, and benefits, and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED the NWA MEC Communications Committee, Strategic Preparedness Committee, Negotiating Committee, MEC Officers, and MEC will prepare and implement a communications plan to inform all NWA pilots of the necessity to conduct and support a strike ballot, and possible subsequent strike, and

BE IT FURTHER RESOLVED this communications plan will include, but not be limited to, pilot information meetings, crew room visits by MEC members, pilot mailings, and electronic presentations on the NWA MEC website.
Old 02-05-2006, 12:28 PM
FlyByWire

Strike is not your best option guys. It will be nice to hang it over their heads, but don't do it till they actually start imposing work rules that affect your head count. There is no way that crook CEO you have Doug SteelyMAN can get cash for new planes, nor exit financing for that matter if the pilots can walk out at any time of there choosing.

I hope Alfred, Gary, and Doug were happy when they get there Chriswtmas letter December 20, 2005!

Godspeed to all of you.

Old 02-06-2006, 08:22 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: B747FO

FlyByWire, This is just the Strike Ballot Authorization. We will only go on strike if our contract gets trashed and the company imposes its Master Plan. We all know if this happens, it will mean the death of NWA.
Old 02-06-2006, 08:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: A350

The Judge Gropper will not toss out the contract, he never has, 2 years ago Avianca Airlines was in the same boat , he extended the ruling until the partys reached an agreement, i can sell Steenland a bridge in Brooklyn if he thinks Alan is just going to toss it out...
Old 02-06-2006, 09:01 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Right Seat 744

After reading the transcripts from the last couple of days, I really don't see how Judge Gropper can allow Dougy Steal'ind to toss out ourr contracts. Dollaway on thuresday, and McClain on friday did a very good job on the stand.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:10 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005
Position: B747FO
Default I Agree!

Originally Posted by creedal
After reading the transcripts from the last couple of days, I really don't see how Judge Gripper can allow Dougy Stealing to toss out Orr contracts. Doll away on Thursday, and McClain on Friday did a very good job on the stand.
I agree, they did a good job on the stand. But the Judge is in a tough position, thats why he keeps stressing for NWA & ALPA to reach a agreement. I think it will go down to the wire on the 17th.
Old 02-06-2006, 09:34 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Right Seat 744

Originally Posted by nw320driver
I agree, they did a good job on the stand. But the Judge is in a tough position, thats why he keeps stressing for NWA & ALPA to reach a agreement. I think it will go down to the wire on the 17th.

I do agree with ya. Just as always, Dougy baby will take it to the wire. But I will not take anymore pay or benefit cuts. What we have given them is too much already. Better hit that lottery so I can have a retirement.
Old 02-06-2006, 12:19 PM
New boss = Old boss

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: Ca B737

CHAOS is the only way to strike these days. Just go to work, check in, board the folks and lock the cockpit door. After finishing the morning paper and Sudoku, push. Don't let them replace you. If some replacement (management) pilots show up to take the flight just push the jet and do it again at the next stop.
Old 02-12-2006, 07:18 PM
FlyByWire

Is it possible for Judge Gropper to carve out something of his own based on the proposals on his desk from the company and the union, or is it as simple as approve or disapprove the companies request?

To me its is so obvious these guys are pushing beyond what is required, I surely would have to think a bankruptcy judge could see thru the smoke screen NWA management is trying to put up. I love their attorney’s name (Pronounced LEECH).

As far as pay cuts, I do think that another 5% is being proposed by the union, so I would expect the bottom of the pay is not there yet.

I really think Steelyman, and his puppet master Wilson is stupid enough to test if a strike is even legal. They really think they can stop a strike thru the courts, and it is that belief that is guiding them to take this to the breaking point of the airline. It is an all or nothing deal for them. Wilson has cashed out as much as he can, so he wants to play all or nothing now.

Old 02-12-2006, 10:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Position: Driving to work & Looking Left @ the Surf!!

Give em' hell guys!! Make it a company worth coming back to!! Just started my 5th year of furlough. OUCH!

Baja.