"AirTran should be Midwest's owner"

Old 04-19-2008, 06:41 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Default "AirTran should be Midwest's owner"

From the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel:

AIRLINES

AirTran should be Midwest's owner

Rarely do our community leaders get an opportunity to correct a significant mistake. The Delta-Northwest merger provides a unique opportunity for southeastern Wisconsin leaders to support the right team to provide airline service here ("Delta, Northwest agree to merge," April 15).
Last year, our leaders strongly supported a proposal by TPG/Northwest to purchase control of Midwest Airlines over a rival proposal by AirTran. The argument at the time was that Milwaukee needed to maintain a unique, independent airline that serves chocolate chip cookies.
Since that deal was completed earlier this year, Midwest and its regional affiliate have reduced schedules and announced pilot layoffs. Northwest owns 47% of Midwest and is reported to have an option to purchase control. Over the past several months, AirTran has won on-time and customer service awards and achieved significant revenue growth. Proving its sincere commitment to the Milwaukee market, it has announced an aggressive schedule expansion here that already has stimulated air traffic in the market.
AirTran has the resources and moxie to become Milwaukee's new hometown airline. Our leaders should correct their earlier mistake and demand of regulators that Northwest divest itself of its Midwest interest before it is allowed to merge with Delta. A marriage between AirTran and Midwest still makes the most sense for Milwaukee.

Richard Sokol
Greendale
Old 04-20-2008, 08:35 AM
No longer cares

Joined APC: Mar 2008
Position: 767er Captain

Originally Posted by Sarah Connor View Post
AirTran has the resources and moxie to become Milwaukee's new hometown airline. Our leaders should correct their earlier mistake and demand of regulators that Northwest divest itself of its Midwest interest before it is allowed to merge with Delta. A marriage between AirTran and Midwest still makes the most sense for Milwaukee.

Richard Sokol
Greendale
Careful bro... you could get what you ask for. When the economy is headed towards a recession, and you get an airline that is (for all intents and purposes) 100% focused on the domestic market, there isn't much room for shrinkage and/or losses. Where will they shore up the balance sheet? with furloughs and layoffs... Good luck with that idea.

I know you were just posting an editorial Sarah...
Old 04-20-2008, 10:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: LAX ERA

Plus........

I didn't look Friday but AirTran's stock really went in the tank week before last. I think they are the next Frontier (sorry to say, I have friends there) but it's another LCC that grew to big too fast to support it's current size at these oil prices.
Ferd
Old 04-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: A319 320 321 LEFT GOOOOOD

Originally Posted by Ferd149 View Post
Plus........

I didn't look Friday but AirTran's stock really went in the tank week before last. I think they are the next Frontier (sorry to say, I have friends there) but it's another LCC that grew to big too fast to support it's current size at these oil prices.
Ferd

The stock went south, correct because of rumor rumor rumor rumor rumor!!!!!
Old 04-24-2008, 05:29 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: B717 CA

What do you expect from the media if they cannot even differentiate between airlines. AAI is not ATA!