Notices
Hiring News Latest news and rumors

Job with FAA

Old 08-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Default Job with FAA

Hey all,

I live about 5 mins from the ROC FSDO and was looking on the FAA website about jobs and wondering if anyone might have some insight on what the FAA has out there. Looking on USAJobs.com I see a Aviation Saftey Tech. and thats it for now (anyone know exactly what they do? The decription is vauge). Anyone know if they would hire off the street for a position like that? If not what is a entry level job to apply for (if one opens up) with the FAA? I have a bachlors degree in (yes I know it was a bad choice) aviation science, and up to my multi commercial with instrument tickets, might be getting the CFI as well. Just putting some feelers out there to get an idea of what they may have to offer. My next step may be just to go over there and ask around.

thanks!
Old 08-04-2008, 06:57 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2005

Might be hard to get info on that here, but I am sure there are some in the know. Sound like a Safety Inspector to me. You would get to go around and hound people...lol.

The only thing I could say that is good for sure about that job is the retirement check!!!
Old 08-04-2008, 07:09 PM
The NeverEnding Story

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Aviation Safety Technician is most certainly NOT a full-blown Safety Inspector position.

Serves as an Aviation Safety Technician in a Flight Standards field office by providing technical support to the aviation safety inspectors and the public. Performs and assists in performing a range of certification, surveillance, investigation and accident prevention activities. Provides technical assistance to the public in areas such as certificate requirements for airmen and aircraft. Assists in the replacement of lost or mutilated certificates by verifying airmen and aircraft certificate status. Extracts and analyzes Aviation Safety Analysis System (ASAS) data to identify trends for items that affect aviation safety. Conducts investigations as assigned, such as complaints, occurrences, incidents, accidents and violations.
Sounds to me like a non-flying SME (system matter expert) type position, combined with a fair amount of paper-pushing and data analyzing.
Old 08-05-2008, 07:15 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2008
Position: Hotel

If you can't beat em. join em. Right?
Old 08-05-2008, 05:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by bryris View Post
If you can't beat em. join em. Right?
Thats what I was thinking....at least I will get some sort of retirement package with the FAA.
Old 08-05-2008, 05:43 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: BE50C (A), BE95 (A), C172S (B)

Originally Posted by jamin35008 View Post
Thats what I was thinking....at least I will get some sort of retirement package with the FAA.
IIRC, you can be an Aviation Safety Inspector even if you've been pranged (violated) by the FAA...twice.

Old 08-05-2008, 07:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by SomedayRJ View Post
IIRC, you can be an Aviation Safety Inspector even if you've been pranged (violated) by the FAA...twice.

How does one become a Aviation Saftey Inspector? What qualifications does one need? What does it involve?
Old 08-05-2008, 07:44 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: BE50C (A), BE95 (A), C172S (B)

How does one become a Aviation Saftey Inspector? What qualifications does one need? What does it involve?
Last time I looked (and yes, I was/am considering it, and for those who are curious, I have zero violations but deal with plenty of FAA folk) I think you needed 1500 hours, commercial and CFI. But don't quote me.

I think there's a few kinds of ASI, too. ASI-Operations are the flying guys, ASI-Airworthiness are the maintenance folks, which have different qualifications (A&P). There's probably at least three other kinds...with different flavors of each for air carrier and general aviation (almost certainly).

For details of the Flight Standards Service at work in some of its worst cases, read this.
Old 08-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Self employed

Ya, guaranteed retirement !!! Woo Hoo !!!!

First, invest a couple decades of your life to almost get eligible to retire, then have it contracted out like Flight Service was on Oct 1, 2005. Or bankrupt, like virtually every airline.

Oh, darn. No retirement. And no guarantees.

Anybody picking a job on a worthless promise for a few decades down the road is just not paying attention.
Old 08-06-2008, 11:18 AM
Line Holder

Position: CRJ Captain

Originally Posted by TonyWilliams View Post
Ya, guaranteed retirement !!! Woo Hoo !!!!

First, invest a couple decades of your life to almost get eligible to retire, then have it contracted out like Flight Service was on Oct 1, 2005. Or bankrupt, like virtually every airline.

Oh, darn. No retirement. And no guarantees.

Anybody picking a job on a worthless promise for a few decades down the road is just not paying attention.
Good point about the retirement, but other than that, I think it would be a great place to work for. I don't know of too many FAA inspectors that are worrying about getting furloughed this year.