Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Pilot Lounge > Leaving the Career
One less pilot around ! and looking for fellow pilot Wisdom. >

One less pilot around ! and looking for fellow pilot Wisdom.

Search
Notices
Leaving the Career Alternative careers for pilots

One less pilot around ! and looking for fellow pilot Wisdom.

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2008, 06:30 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: EMB 120 FO
Lightbulb One less pilot around ! and looking for fellow pilot Wisdom.

Hello everyone

I have been a regional pilot for about two years, and 5 years as a flight instructor before that. Obviously not your long hauler 30 year captain by any means. But these two years were long enough to make me realize that in this profession, there are a lot of sacrifices to face, not just the sacrifices we make as pilots, but our families and loved ones too. These two years made me learn that this job wasn’t me. As of yesterday I am out of my pilot job and on the streets ready to listen to any good advice. I know there is a lot of wisdom and good ideas among fellow pilots.

I am asking for any kind of advice ranging from easy to transition jobs to go to, comments, critics anything. Or anything that you would like to say to somebody leaving the Airline industry like me. It has been a fun journey and one that I needed to make, to realize what is important for me. Thank you all in advance for your honest thoughts.
Old 08-06-2008, 06:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 744 CA

Professional aviation is a lifestyle.... it certainly transcends your normal job. It is NOT for everyone....
Old 08-06-2008, 07:42 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Capt. Falcon 50EX

Try and find a good corporate gig. I found one and I have no plans on going back to American. With the way things are in the Airline industry, The grass is pretty green over here.

Good Luck
Old 08-06-2008, 08:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2006
Position: 767A (Ret)
Lightbulb An Idea

If you enjoyed being a flight instructor, why not consider becoming a high school teacher? You might be very good at it!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:30 PM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Pilots

Pilots are highly dedicated, smart and disciplined individuals that have a lot to offer to the world. Set your sights and it will be like shooting fish in a barrel.

Skyhigh
Old 08-07-2008, 09:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006

Find a job to sustain you, find something you like doing and start a business. i assume you are in your early 30's late 20's if you fall flat on your face at least you have time to recover.
Old 08-12-2008, 03:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

UPS and FedEx usually will hire part time bag throwers, sorters, etc. If I remember right, the pay is usually $13/hr or a little better. And with UPS, most everyone but the pilots start that way no matter their position, so you could explore what they have on the professional side and see if anything suits your interests. Other than that, for money, the computer fields are always hot it seems and the world seems to never have too many lawyers. No matter how many jokes we make.

Good luck!
Old 08-14-2008, 11:38 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: E190

Sooner or later, you will be back in the industry....one way or another. In the meanwhile, best of luck!
Old 08-14-2008, 02:22 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by angelicm3 View Post
I am asking for any kind of advice ranging from easy to transition jobs to go to, comments, critics anything. Or anything that you would like to say to somebody leaving the Airline industry like me. It has been a fun journey and one that I needed to make, to realize what is important for me. Thank you all in advance for your honest thoughts.
One day 20 years from now you may look back and realize that this was one of the best decisions you could have made. Success in this industry (measured in terms of pay, QOL, and job security) is hard to find anymore, and I don't believe it will get any easier. In many cases the dock rots before the ship comes in.

Or anything that you would like to say to somebody leaving the Airline industry like me.
The first thing I would say is that the hardest part is behind you - letting go. Second, I would view this as an exciting opportunity to begin a new career search. You left flying as a profession, but you are still a pilot and can always fly as a hobby.

Here is what I would do. Excluding flying, I would make a written list of everything that interests me. Don't think about it too much, just start jotting things down as you brainstorm. When you are finished, then categorize it from most favorable to least favorable. Then, begin some research on how you can turn one or more of those interests into a career.

If it were me, I would also place a high emphasis on pay and job security. Your career should interest you, but at the same time it must be viewed as a business decision and as a means to generate an income. A particular career may not be the most interesting thing one can do, but with a good salary and employment prospects you can pretty do anything you want in your spare time.
Old 10-19-2008, 05:49 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Default Consider flying for the government

Obviously, you have a love for flying. You may want to consider a flying (or non-flying) job for the government. Check our usajobs.gov and do a search using some keywords and locations that interest you. you might also want to think about flying for the military. I flew for the Navy for 11 years and although there are still plenty of sacrifices to make, the money and benefits are good. I have a good friend who joined the Navy after leaving the regionals. You might also consider your local Guard unit if you're not keen on landing on ships...Whatever you decide, good luck!