Notices
Mergers and Acquisitions Facts, rumors, and conjecture

787's going away?

Old 10-04-2008, 09:59 AM
Sitting on the sidelines

Joined APC: Aug 2007

Originally Posted by satchip View Post
Our focus on seats will beget Comair or Compass flying Embs coast to coast. New RJs are much more efficient than older mainline jets. Our objective has to be either have those jets at the mother ship or we prevent them from being used to thier potential by scope. If subcontractors, and let's face it, that is what the regionals are, are limited to say 150 mile radius those new rjs will not be nearly as attractive. Let the regionals fly regional routes.
One of the smartest things I've heard in a while. While working on an MBA a couple of years ago, I studied the 121 industry extensively and concluded that - from a management perspective - the focus on seat limits instead of mileage limits was great for management and terrible for the mainline union pilots. I forecast a day when the legacy carriers fly only international and maybe coast-to-coast, with "regional" carriers doing everything else. It might be on the way - I've flown United Express ORD-MIA and an E175 EWR-FLL in recent weeks.
Old 10-04-2008, 11:18 AM
Happy to be here

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Position: A-320A

DAL tried this. It has not worked. Fact is the new RJ's are more efficient, but with a government that is not willing to address the ATC capacity issues, carbon emissions and the drive to pay for them, plus fuel, it is becoming more and more advantageous for them to use larger jets. The csam goes down, no matter how you tilt the numbers. After all this is just a numbers game.

I do agree that RJ's was the way that it was going, but I think the course has changed.
Old 10-04-2008, 08:28 PM
Can't abide NAI

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Douglas Aerospace post production Flight Test & Work Around Engineering bulletin dissembler

ACL,

It all depends on the RJ. The supersize RJ's carry 60%+ more revenue with only 15% higher costs. 76 seats, is the new 100 seater.

Perfect, no. Best alternative, yes.