Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Airline Pilot Forums > Major
Go to Europe if you are looking for a job!!! >

Go to Europe if you are looking for a job!!!

Notices
Major Legacy, National, and LCC

Go to Europe if you are looking for a job!!!

Old 03-30-2006, 09:21 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Nov 2005
Default Go to Europe if you are looking for a job!!!

By David Millward, Transport Correspondent (Filed: 27/03/2006)

The airline industry is struggling to find pilots as demand for flights fuelled by no-frills airlines continues to grow.

While carriers continue to expand their networks, the soaring cost of aviation fuel is making training increasingly prohibitive, with one estimate putting the cost of getting a licence at more than £60,000.

Figures, show the number of UK-registered pilots falling from 2,723 in 2002-3 to 2,400 in 2004-5. According to the Civil Aviation Authority the number of planes taking off from and landing at British airports increased by 6pc in 2004 - the latest year for which figures are available.

British Airways is advertising for pilots, Ryanair is scouring Europe for recruits, and Easyjet has slashed its flying experience requirement from 1,500 to 500 hours.

"Pilots are in demand and cutting flying hours reflects that," said a spokesman for Easyjet, which has added 50 new routes this year.

According to one source at BA, nobody within the company can remember the airline advertising so extensively. "Ryanair is currently paying more to its Boeing 737 pilots than BA, and with the pension crisis and the retirement age of 60 years, many see little point in joining BA for 'job security'," the source said.

Ryanair, which has increased its UK-based routes from 116 last year to 178, is taking on about 300 pilots. The company has held recruitment fairs in a number of European cities and has benefited from shake-outs among some scheduled airlines by taking on staff who have been laid off.

But even Ryanair has struggled to keep up growth towards the end of its "flying year", which finishes at the end of the month.

Many of its pilots have come close to their 900 maximum annual cockpit hours and action was needed to make sure the company did not run out of flying time. As a result Ryanair had to cut capacity by 100,000 seats for the first three months of the year.

The company is prepared to pay salaries of up to £100,000 for an experienced pilot as well as share options.

"Experienced airline pilots are in short supply," said Nick Wilcox, commercial director of Storm Aviation, a company which supplies staff to the aviation industry. "It is extremely busy for this time of year.

We supply a large number of blue-chip airlines and were recently contacted by a low-frills carrier saying they needed a significant number of individuals."

British-based airlines are in a stronger position than some of their continental rivals because English is the international language of aviation.
Old 03-30-2006, 09:53 AM
Feeling blessed.

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: Was I finally in the right place at the right time?

No shortage in the USA!

Why don't they offer to pay for US pilots to get their JAR ratings?

Yeah, I know.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:24 PM
SDQ Base Chief

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: 320 CA

How much is it to convert a US ATP to a JAR ATPL?
Old 03-30-2006, 02:47 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Feb 2006

It's just crazy, there are airlines around the world looking for pilots with 1000 hours to fly the A330/340. Yet, here in the states you have to be a space shuttle commander to get a 737 job. It's sad, i've seen 25 year old first officers flying the 737 in Europe(Hungarian). Yet you need 5000+ PIC time to fly the same ****ty 737 for Southwest. Sometimes I wonder why I am persuing this career.
Old 03-30-2006, 02:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2005
Position: 18%er but I’ll enforce UPA23 to the last period.

Originally Posted by BURflyer
It's just crazy, there are airlines around the world looking for pilots with 1000 hours to fly the A330/340. Yet, here in the states you have to be a space shuttle commander to get a 737 job. It's sad, i've seen 25 year old first officers flying the 737 in Europe(Hungarian). Yet you need 5000+ PIC time to fly the same ****ty 737 for Southwest. Sometimes I wonder why I am persuing this career.
Amen brother!
Old 03-30-2006, 03:54 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: DD->DH->RU/XE soon to be EV

Originally Posted by Flyby1206
How much is it to convert a US ATP to a JAR ATPL?
Look on pprune.com

Somewhere between alot and a sh1tload. Not to mention the time involved to take all the exams. It's not like going down to the FSDO and getting a sign off or something. Then, get to the right to live and work in Europe.

Good luck.
Old 03-30-2006, 04:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005
Position: Telecom Company, President

I have an interview offer from RyanAir, but I have heard of too many horror stories of non existant pay checks, paying for hotels yourself on overnights, lieing to you about where you will be based, etc.
Old 03-30-2006, 07:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: A320 capt

Originally Posted by dojetdriver
Look on pprune.com

Somewhere between alot and a sh1tload. Not to mention the time involved to take all the exams. It's not like going down to the FSDO and getting a sign off or something. Then, get to the right to live and work in Europe.

Good luck.
I think i may be able to help here, since i have a ALTP (based on the British exams) the problem is and i`m not going to start with the "who did it to who first bit" but niether europe or the US will accept the others licience, to obtain a jar you would have to take all the writtens(and trust me they are not like the FAA ATP written) plus do the nesessary check rides, and they don`t have a "all in one and one for all time" instument rating, every year you need a seperate IR check. also they don`t allow the F/O near the plane unless he is type rated, all in all its a much harder licience to obtain and therefore a lot more expensive, if you have say 2500 hrs heavy jet time it will cost you about 15, 2 20,000 pounds, the person above who said from scratch a British licience would cost 60, 000 pounds i`d say more like 100,000.
Old 03-30-2006, 08:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: DD->DH->RU/XE soon to be EV

Originally Posted by Randal
I think i may be able to help here, since i have a ALTP (based on the British exams) the problem is and i`m not going to start with the "who did it to who first bit" but niether europe or the US will accept the others licience, to obtain a jar you would have to take all the writtens(and trust me they are not like the FAA ATP written) plus do the nesessary check rides, and they don`t have a "all in one and one for all time" instument rating, every year you need a seperate IR check. also they don`t allow the F/O near the plane unless he is type rated, all in all its a much harder licience to obtain and therefore a lot more expensive, if you have say 2500 hrs heavy jet time it will cost you about 15, 2 20,000 pounds, the person above who said from scratch a British licience would cost 60, 000 pounds i`d say more like 100,000.
Yeah, that's basically what I paraphrased with my post.
Old 03-31-2006, 05:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: B-737NG preferably in first class with a glass of champagne and caviar

Originally Posted by IronWalt
I have an interview offer from RyanAir, but I have heard of too many horror stories of non existant pay checks, paying for hotels yourself on overnights, lieing to you about where you will be based, etc.
Iron Walt. Rumors that’s all that they are is just rumors about non existent paychecks.

The true facts of life about flying for Ryanair under the Brookfield Aviation contract are as follows:

You pay for your own accommodations during training. Bed and Breakfasts run about $40.00 a night. Bus transportation will run about $3.00 a day. If you qualify for the OCC program… it’s a self study program… that’s the way it is… down and dirty… no hand holding.
You receive no pay during line training while a safety pilot is on the jump seat. You receive half pay once the safety pilot is no longer required.
You receive a €20.00 override when you are flying out of your base. That pays for your hotel and food. You are usually ahead of the game.
Money is transferred to your bank account on or about the 15th of each month… no games are played with pay.
You will be based where you are needed, which is explained to applicants during the interview process.

They flying isn’t bad… new planes, home every night… don’t have to worry about flight attendants showing up for trips.