Notices
Leaving the Career Alternative careers for pilots

Letter Carrier

Old 04-13-2009, 06:36 AM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Letter Carrier

Last weekend the Sunday paper had a story on wages that people make all over the USA. Noteworthy ones that I remember were that Captain Sully makes 100K and a letter carrier makes 53K.

Captain Sully started his career in 1980. If he had chosen to be a letter carrier instead then he could have retired nine years ago.

Skyhigh
Old 04-13-2009, 07:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

Originally Posted by SkyHigh View Post
Last weekend the Sunday paper had a story on wages that people make all over the USA. Noteworthy ones that I remember were that Captain Sully makes 100K and a letter carrier makes 53K.

Captain Sully started his career in 1980. If he had chosen to be a letter carrier instead then he could have retired nine years ago.

Skyhigh
Sky, the Postal Service is losing money and laying off workers.....
Old 04-13-2009, 07:25 AM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default My point

Originally Posted by Learflyer View Post
Sky, the Postal Service is losing money and laying off workers.....
The airlines are loosing money and laying off as well. My point is that aviation wages are slipping to the levels of common careers that do not require any special education or training.

The post office will come back. It is a national service.

Skyhigh
Old 04-13-2009, 07:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

For the amount of education required, you are absolutely right... Pilots are grossly underpaid. It sickens me that some receptionist transferring phone calls can make more than a FO on a plane full of human lives. But what can be done about it? Until the supply goes down and demand goes up I guess?
Old 04-13-2009, 09:27 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2008

speaking of receptionists and HR people. When i was laid off in Nov., I was called to the bosses office to sign my walking papers, etc. I look at the HR lady and said to myself "YOU still have a job?" Instead of what I went through as a Pilot, all I had to do was get a quick business degree and become an HR person. They seem to be the last to go.
Old 04-13-2009, 10:16 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Originally Posted by Learflyer View Post
speaking of receptionists and HR people. When i was laid off in Nov., I was called to the bosses office to sign my walking papers, etc. I look at the HR lady and said to myself "YOU still have a job?" Instead of what I went through as a Pilot, all I had to do was get a quick business degree and become an HR person. They seem to be the last to go.
That's because their only job is to justify their existence. At my local office of about 200 (there are also 40 some branch offices), 40 just got laid off last week... The ones that show up at 11 and leave at 4 didn't get touched, yet the people with 10+ years with the company get the axe... Of course the people with the right last name or the sons of the biggest investors don't get touched either, despite the fact they all take 3 hour lunches and spend more company money than 10 regular employees combined...