Hiring News Latest news and rumors

4Star Air Cargo hiring Q

Old 05-27-2009, 02:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Lovin' life at .4 (ish) mach
Default 4Star Air Cargo hiring Q

I was looking at their website, and they are hiring, but this is what it says:
"SICs & PICs – Any pilots with 500 hours type rated in DC-3, interested in living in paradise." I'm a little confused, is it 500TT or 500 DC-3 time for SIC? I'm a low time pilot and would like to fly for them, but dont have a DC-3 type. I have the cash available to get my type if it's reasonable to be employed.
If I do not get the job, are there any DC-3 operators out there that hire low time pilots? I'd like to have the type and get active in some DC-3 flying, as I need to fly something with a radial engine on it.
Old 05-27-2009, 04:28 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008

nevermind...............
Old 05-27-2009, 04:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: DA50EX

Weren't the pilots striking there a while back. How did that turn out for them.
Old 05-28-2009, 07:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2007

They actually are not hiring right now - even though it says they are. Just called - Very nice people to talk to.
Old 05-30-2009, 10:05 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008

4 Star is Furloughing, although I'm not sure if its a furlough or a lay-off.

I have a friend who did that SIC stuff for them and was cut around January. He said Puerto Rico is awesome, but he wouldn't work for 4-star again, even if someone put a gun to his head.

Look elsewhere for Caribbean jobs. Roblex, Air Flamenco are two places to start. However, they are not hiring from what I understand.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2009

I feel u on the radial thing. Move to alaska, bring a sleeping bag(artic) apply at evretsair and sleep there till they hire u
Old 06-05-2009, 05:42 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2008

Originally Posted by Gchamp3 View Post
4 Star is Furloughing, although I'm not sure if its a furlough or a lay-off.

I have a friend who did that SIC stuff for them and was cut around January. He said Puerto Rico is awesome, but he wouldn't work for 4-star again, even if someone put a gun to his head.

Look elsewhere for Caribbean jobs. Roblex, Air Flamenco are two places to start. However, they are not hiring from what I understand.
I met them in person and the owner threw out my application in front of me. I had 500/50. Don't waste your time there. I would try Air Flamenco.
Old 06-05-2009, 06:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Im from Puerto Rico, and I believe they only have 1 Airplane running now... alot of people love flying the DC-3 not for FourStar though.
Old 08-14-2009, 12:42 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2009
Position: Hotel Inspector Par Excellence
Default Dont Do It!

A couple years ago my company had a deal to with 4 star to act as their back up plane if they could not get one of the 4 DC-3's started that morning or they had too much cargo. We came down there with a brand new C-208 and every single one of the pilots wanted to jump ship and get a job with us.

I spent a month there hanging around waiting for them to fill my Van and I saw some scary MX being done. THe workers there are some of the coolest people in the world but they are given an impossibly small budget by the company owner in Philly.

Last time I was down there they told me they put one in the drink right after takeoff from St. Thomas. I also spoke with another guy from the states that was convinced he was going to die when the fabric came off one of the DC-3's tails and forced the plane to pitch down while they were low.

In fact they are always low over the water because none of the pilots seem to want to fly near clouds and with 7000 pounds of Cargo the old birds dont really want to climb that high anyway.

I got the chance to fly one while I was bored, but I chickened out after the "Captain" demonstrated how much problems the plane was having coming in and out of feather. Sucks because I always wanted to fly one buy sitting in that cockpit I knew it was not worth the risk of leaving my wife a widow.

Anyway, you have to either have a crazy high tollerance for risk, or be a poor local pilot to consider flying there. Fly one that is really well maintained and tell us about it!
Old 08-16-2009, 07:48 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009
Position: 737 Left
Default DC-3 Type

Guy in Griffin, GA does DC-3 types. Sic is about 5000, PIC is about 18,000. All in the plane, no simulator. The DC-3 Network - Website for DC-3 Pilots & Enthusiasts