Regional Regional Airlines

Skywest pilots based in CA not living there

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2009, 12:11 PM
Freightmama!

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 757/767 FO
Default Skywest pilots based in CA not living there

My fiance was based in FAT for 2007 but we lived in IL. He just got a letter from CA claiming that he did not file CA state income taxes and they want their money. He filed in IL and paid in IL, we lived in IL. The letter states if you work in CA you have to pay CA income taxes even if you do not live there. Have any of you guys had the same problem? What's the best way to go about this?
Old 08-10-2009, 12:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Yes, had this same problem. I showed them my state tax return and that seemed to shut them up for now. But hey, what do you expect from a state that's bankrupt.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008

Based in TX, forced to pay in CA where I lived. What did I do? I paid. Sorry couldn't be of more help. Hopefully someone else has other options for your fiance.
Old 08-10-2009, 12:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Originally Posted by Rnav View Post
Based in TX, forced to pay in CA where I lived. What did I do? I paid. Sorry couldn't be of more help. Hopefully someone else has other options for your fiance.
Well I figure since you reside in CA, then you have to pay CA taxes. However the first respondent lives in IL and paid IL taxes. CA can't put someone in double jepardy and have them pay 2 state taxes.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2009

I would strongly favor pushing California out into the ocean and watching it float away, then they could join up on china and be a complete communist country. Rolling blackouts, earthquakes, pollution, smog, mudslides, through the roof cost of living, extremely high taxes, legalizing illegal immigration, bastardizing and harassing on our US service members, nancy pelosi, san francisco.

California wants you to pay double taxes because they need to put food on the table of all their new 'immigrants' and put their kids through college for free. California, the worst place on earth.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:21 PM
Freightmama!

Joined APC: Dec 2005
Position: 757/767 FO

Originally Posted by Rnav View Post
Our problem is different. He was based in CA, lived in IL. He paid in IL. Sounds like we did what you did.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2008
Position: Seat 0B

Originally Posted by Convairator View Post
I would strongly favor pushing California out into the ocean and watching it float away, then they could join up on china and be a complete communist country. Rolling blackouts, earthquakes, pollution, smog, mudslides, through the roof cost of living, extremely high taxes, legalizing illegal immigration, bastardizing and harassing on our US service members, nancy pelosi, san francisco.

California wants you to pay double taxes because they need to put food on the table of all their new 'immigrants' and put their kids through college for free. California, the worst place on earth.
Best.
Idea.
Ever.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:28 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Unfortunately, there is no federal standard that says you only have to pay taxes in one state. Each state sets it's own requirements, and if you meet the requirements of two (or even three) states, you have to pay them all.

It's not a bad idea to research the requirements for the state you are domiciled in, if you don't live there.

Also try to fly under the radar...avoid going on record with a local address, car registration, etc.

PA and CO will withhold a small amount just for being domiciled there...I don't think you can get that back. But they don't seem to to try to tax as a resident.
Old 08-10-2009, 01:34 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: 747 FO

If you live in another state and you pay income taxes to that state CA has no claim, in addition there are special tax considerations for transport workers that keep them from being able to make your husband pay.

Heres a link to a SkyWest FO's website he and his wife are both CPA's and could probably give you some advice if you need it.

AirlineCPA.com - SERVICES

Last edited by Longboarder29; 08-10-2009 at 01:36 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-10-2009, 01:35 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Dassault DA-10 CA, CRJ FO

Originally Posted by Freightpuppy View Post
He just got a letter from CA claiming that he did not file CA state income taxes and they want their money.

Did the letter have a stamp on it, or an IOU?