Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Fed Ex Feeder Question

Old 06-09-2006, 10:03 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2006
Default Fed Ex Feeder Question

Flying the Cessna Caravan for a Fed Ex Feeder company has always looked like something i would love to do! Does anyone out there have any information on scheduled 135 ops such as Suburban Air Freight, Baron Aviation Services, or Mountain Air? What are the schedules like? What is the corporate culture like? Etc......
THANKS!
Old 06-10-2006, 05:41 AM
Cass

It starts out at 0600, show up at the ramp. Then wait for the loaders.
Supervise them so they load the plane properly and dont damage anything.
Launch... 2 or 3 stops, then you sit all day at some small airfield within a 200 mile radius of your departure point. At about 1700 or so, the loaders show up,you take on freight, then fly back to the places you unloaded that morning (to pick up up their outgoing freight )Get in at about 1930, unload, usually home by 2000
14 hour days, you get pretty tired.Or you can make the night runs which are pretty much 5 hour round robins.Good time builder, but the pressure to go is high, the joke is, " why check the WX, you gotta go anyway"
Some people really like it because boxes dont complain. But I have found that single pilot IFR can get pretty dicey, 2 things are good to be afraid of, imbedded thunderstorms and ice.Those 2 issues have nearly eaten my lunch on more than one occasion.
Make sure you go to work for a reputable operator, there are a lot of bottomfeeders out there that will try to compromise the rules to get the job done, and since you are responsible,it is your certificate that gets violated.
The 208 is a wonderful airplane, will just about carry its own weight and, if loaded correctly, will fly well.As long as you fly it within its limitations, you wont have any problems.I have had it in all kinds of weather, I have landed in 40 knot x winds ( no exageration ) and have carried more ice than I could get rid of. She always brought me home.
Originally Posted by hendefea
Flying the Cessna Caravan for a Fed Ex Feeder company has always looked like something i would love to do! Does anyone out there have any information on scheduled 135 ops such as Suburban Air Freight, Baron Aviation Services, or Mountain Air? What are the schedules like? What is the corporate culture like? Etc......
THANKS!

Old 06-10-2006, 10:07 AM
Banned

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: FO dhc-6

whats the starting pay, are you M-F?