strong bags or luggage works? >

strong bags or luggage works?

Notices
Regional Regional Airlines

strong bags or luggage works?

Old 10-07-2009, 09:43 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2009

I bought the first generation strongbag and had the wheel well problems and the popped rivets from the side of the bag. Identical to pictures you posted, Ethan gave me a steal on the Vortex 2 since I was an original customer and 2 months later, it's holding up like new (fingers crossed). If this one fails in less than 2 years I will convert to LW.

But, the new Vortex 2- so far, so good.
Old 10-08-2009, 06:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: Self employed

Originally Posted by bidnez View Post
Ethan gave me a steal on the Vortex 2 since I was an original customer and 2 months later, it's holding up like new (fingers crossed). If this one fails in less than 2 years I will convert to LW.

But, the new Vortex 2- so far, so good.

I think Ethan learned a lot with his first generation bag (that I have). I bought mine in Oct 2007, and within 6 months, it was trashed, as I previously posted.

Ethan called me on the phone, and discussed the changes to the bag. Supposedly, the plastic wheel wells are "better", the aluminum rivets are "better". And now the zippers are metal instead of plastic.

No mention on some of the other issues that I have with the bag. I suspect you'll be alright with the newer bag, and if it does go Tango Uniform, he'll make it right. It's significantly lighter and cheaper than his competition.

As I said, neither bag is my ideal.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:26 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Spartan

The only thing I don't like about my LW is the weight, but after almost 6 years it's still holding up. I did pop a zipper track but it's cause i overstuffed the side pocket. It could use a tune up, but I'm a commuter on top of flying as a line holder and this thing takes a beating. I don't need a company that stands behind a substandard product that I'm inconvenienced by sending back repeatedly to be repaired.
Old 10-08-2009, 07:58 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2007

Man.. I've had a normal travelpro for 3 years, cram it into a CRJ 2-3 times a day and commute 1500 miles. And I've only replaced the wheels. What the hell are you guys doing to your bags?!
Old 10-09-2009, 06:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2009

Im not too impressed with my LW bag, the aluminum handle guides are held in with sheet metal screws when they should be machine screws, The black machine screws seem to rust up top (no biggie) and the foam handle has a tear damnit, No internal pockets in the main compartment, its a nice bag but expensive, maybe when i get home ill throw some old china bones skateboard bearings in the wheels so it will roll faster than i walk.

I also have the snap on little duffel, nice addition.

Also that damn handle comes down at warp 9 so watch your fingers.
Old 10-10-2009, 04:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008
Position: Frenchy plane/ Left

I have the luggage works. As soon as I bought it I went to a sports store and bought a roll of black athletic tape($3) and wrapped the foam handle up. So far so good.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2007
Position: CH2T Worst plane ever

I have the LW bag and after 2 years, it's awful. The thing has fallen apart, literally. I hate the lack of internal dividers, the weight, basically everything about it. What I did was get a costo bag and just replace it once a year. It's free and the thing is pretty light. The only problem is it's all plastic and tends to bind if you put too much pressure on it. Plus I like the internal dividers, and it's handy with all the pockets.
Old 10-10-2009, 09:25 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2007
Position: A320 starboard... Arrrr

I've had my LW for about 3 years. Greatest buy ever. I commuted overseas to and transported all kinds of building supplies in it for a year while renovating a small cottage. Amazing bag. I had a zipper problem on the outside pocket, and sent the bag in to get it fixed. They replaced everything except metal frame. Brand new material everywhere, new handle, new foam etc...

If you get one, spend the extra 12 bucks to get the "belly strap" and the extra 12 bucks to get your name on the handle. It looks good and helps ensure it isnt mistakenly mis-taken!.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:27 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006

LW is too heavy. Get a Costco bag.
Old 10-10-2009, 03:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Looking Forward

Originally Posted by USMCFDX View Post
LW is too heavy. Get a Costco bag.
That's why they have wheels.

There's a reason you see so many LW bags in the airport that look like they have been to hell and back...they have and they keep on truckin'. I've had mine for 5 years with no problems, and I anticipate at least another 5 out of it.

Last edited by G2TT; 10-10-2009 at 09:10 PM.