Notices
Hangar Talk For non-aviation-related discussion and aviation threads that don't belong elsewhere

Rollerboard Bags...

Old 02-15-2010, 11:17 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2008

I've have used both the Purdy Neat and the Briggs & Riley bags and would highly recommend the Briggs & Riley. The B & R bag is 5 lbs lighter to start. This really make a difference when you are lifting it up on to x-ray belts, overhead bins and onto hotel beds. The B & R has for the same outside dimension but a larger inner volume. The B & R has a Lifetime warranty. I have owned my B & R bag for nine years when I sent it off to them to have the wheels replaced. It came back a week later like a new bag. They fixed or replaced everything that was worn. I basically got a new bag for free. The Purdy neat bag has only a three year warranty. Not enough.

Don't waste your money on a PNB. The Briggs & Riley have more interior volume, is 5 lbs lighter, and has a lifetime warranty. And as someone else noted, you won't look like a dork pulling one.

Try pilotpetesupplies.com

Last edited by 2themoon; 02-15-2010 at 11:32 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-15-2010, 11:36 AM
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: DAL 330

Originally Posted by Cycle Pilot View Post
Thanks for all the input. I've got another question. Does the clip that holds your flight case detach from the bag when you're checking the bag or not carrying a flight case? From the online pictures, it looks like it's permanently attached to the bag with a screw. Seems like that clip might get in the way if you can't detach it from the bag.
As you have heard from previous responses - the hook does not detach. There are; however, two opposing zippers so you can put the hook into the bag and zipper it shut from both sides.

I strongly recommend everyone who gate checks a PNT bag do the following:

1. Put the hook in the bag and zipper it shut from both sides.
2. Use the velcro strap to secure your handle in the down position.

In over 10 years of use the only damage to my bags was from gate checking them (maybe ramp guys do not like Pilot bags) but by taking these two steps you can mimimize the chance of damage to your bag.
Scoop
Old 02-15-2010, 07:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2008

Originally Posted by 2themoon View Post
I've have used both the Purdy Neat and the Briggs & Riley bags and would highly recommend the Briggs & Riley. The B & R bag is 5 lbs lighter to start. This really make a difference when you are lifting it up on to x-ray belts, overhead bins and onto hotel beds. The B & R has for the same outside dimension but a larger inner volume. The B & R has a Lifetime warranty. I have owned my B & R bag for nine years when I sent it off to them to have the wheels replaced. It came back a week later like a new bag. They fixed or replaced everything that was worn. I basically got a new bag for free. The Purdy neat bag has only a three year warranty. Not enough.

Don't waste your money on a PNB. The Briggs & Riley have more interior volume, is 5 lbs lighter, and has a lifetime warranty. And as someone else noted, you won't look like a dork pulling one.

Is b&r made for flight crews or is it just like any other company that makes luggage? Website didnt have any crew specific stuff. Also, is it really 5 lbs lighter than the Pretty Neat? Thanks
Old 02-17-2010, 03:05 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2008

Briggs & Riley aren't airline crew specific, but do carry sizes from 20" - 22" non-expandable to expandable that fit airline crew needs. I personally have a 21" expandable and it's noticably lighter than the Purdy Neats.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:09 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2007
Position: 737 CA

I saw the latest Costco bag a few weeks ago that had eliminated the "auto expander". I'll give it a try when my bag needs replacement.
Old 02-23-2010, 08:53 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Dec 2009

Originally Posted by 2themoon View Post

NO! You don't want to bring bed bugs home with you, right? I always use the luggage rack in the hotel room. Or if not that, something hard surfaced. There is too much nasty sh!t in hotel beds.

Bedbug - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

YouTube - Bed Bugs

As for the bag issue, I've had the PNS/LuggageWorks bag the past 5 years and it's held up great. As for the laptop pocket, I believe they are quoting the 14" as the length of the opening for the computer. Laptop screen sizes are quoted diagonally across the screen. I have a 15" screened laptop and it fits fine into the 14" opening, because it isn't actually 14" end-to-end if measured in a straight line.

Is the Briggs&Reilly made in the US? I prefer to buy US made stuff when possible.
Old 02-24-2010, 06:59 AM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Aug 2008

Briggs and Rileys are terrible if you're dragging it through anything worse than the crew parking lot. I had one for two years and had to have it repaired 3 times. I finally gave up and gave it to my parents who aren't going to be dragging it half a mile down the street in the middle of winter.

After the handle pulled out of my BnR, I bought a PNT bag. It's better than any bag I've ever used. Takes the beating I give it every day with aplomb. I've only had to replace the wheels and bearings once in 3 years for about $10.

Bottom line, if you live in a city and are dragging your bag down the street to public transit, you'll want the PNT; the BnR just will not stand up to that kind of abuse. For other use and BnR is fine.
Old 02-24-2010, 02:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007

Last time I had my PNT bag overhauled, they put on new lightweight handle poles. If you pull too hard on the handle when starting out, the poles bend and won't push back down. You have to bend them back to get them to stow. Really cheap junk on an otherwise pretty bullet-proof bag.

The nitwit who approved using the new handles obviously never tried to use the bag with a pilot's kit bag attached.
Old 07-28-2011, 04:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005

Purdy Neat / Luggage Works bags are garbage....mine is under a year old..broken flight bag hook, zippers all started sticking (couldn't get to my underwear in the side pocket the other day) and have replaced the rollerboard handle. In addition it weighs a ton empty!!
Old 07-28-2011, 05:31 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Nov 2008

The purdy neat bags are now luggage works if it wasn't posted already. They're made in Aurora Missouri; so you're helping support a small town's largest employer by buying an American made product. They're great people to work with.

I have had my purdy neat (luggage works) bag for almost 10 years and its still going. I've had it overhauled twice at a reasonable price.