Notices

Monterrey to do list?

Old 02-24-2010, 08:22 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2007
Position: MD11 Captain
Default Monterrey to do list?

Hey ya'll, anyone spent time in Monterrey, Mexico and have any suggestions for what to do? I have a friend going there for a business trip lasting one month and any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance, FedEx Gator
Old 02-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2006
Position: Retired

Tell him whatever he does, don't drink the water. Just kidding (I think.) Anyway, here's a link that he might enjoy. Ah, the beauty of Al Gore's internet.

Monterrey Mexico - Activities - Things to do in Monterrey

JJ
Old 02-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Line Holder

Ha, good advice and well taken. I get a little of the "revenge" after every trip I fly to Toluca (and I don't drink the water).
Thanks.
Old 02-24-2010, 08:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2008

I had a great captain show me around in Monterrey. The most memorable thing to me was dinner at a very popular local restaurant, with signed pictures of Mexican celebrities on the walls, that specialized in baby goat. They had rotisserie's (sp) in the front window cooking the baby goat. I believe it was by the canal or river that goes through town and only a few blocks from our hotel. I'm sure if you described it to someone they could get you there.
Old 02-25-2010, 08:07 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Mar 2009

I have been to Monterrey several times on my own and flying with Fed Ex. The website should be a good source of information. Near the Fiesta Americana there is the Macro Plaza with the Governmental Palace and the some museums. My wife and I went to the Museum of Contemporary Art and liked it...but that was many years ago. They have a Sesame Street theme park and an old Foundry that has been turned into an attraction. I have seen promotion for a "river walk" in Monterrey but haven't been. I understand that the Fed Ex driver is available for hire to give tours. If you like the outdoors, the nearby mountains have some activities that should be fun. Restaurants...I like Calypso, and had a good meal at "El Rey de Cabrito" near the Fiesta Americana. Las Monjitas and El Monesterio aren't what they used to be. I had a way over-priced meal at Luisiana one time with my brother. VIPS and Sanborns are good for breakfast. There is also a decent seafood place near the Holiday Inn but I forgot the name. Hope this helps...que le vaya bien!

Last edited by bksumm; 02-26-2010 at 06:13 PM.
Old 02-26-2010, 07:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009
Position: CRJ-700/CRJ-900 Gear Monkey

I commuted from MTY for 2 years... I know the city well. Go to the San Pedro area. if you are located downtown, it is just south, over Indepencia (insert ghetto looking foothill). On the other side is the most posh area in all of latin america. If you are looking for local flavor, there are a multitude of restaurants downtown, I would however avoid street vendors unless you have an iron stomach. The previous posts were right about the water, nobody there drinks tap and neither should you. If you have the time go to Chinpique national forest, $20 cab ride. If you want to get around the green taxis will take you anywhere dirt cheap. I cant even drive the same distance in my airport car that cheap. Many many things to do, great food, great people, good times. PM me if you need any other suggestion.
Old 03-01-2010, 05:53 PM
Line Holder

Thanks everyone. Good info here for my friend.
Gator.