Notices
Cargo Part 121 cargo airlines

Lynden Air Cargo

Old 02-15-2019, 11:36 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2018

Originally Posted by Four Fans View Post
Depends a lot on what sort of flying to did to get the time. The Chief Pilot would make the call depending on your experience, and the needs of the Company. While I'm pretty sure he would like to see some turboprop time in there, the application window is open, and the worst that can happen is you don't get called. Second worst case would be he calls and gives you a path forward if you're truly interested in Lynden. I know he has done that on occasion. Best case, you get an interview. Small company, so the time from application, to interview, to class is pretty compressed into a couple months, or even a couple weeks at times. Showing an interest now could pay off for a future class too. Currently hiring for an early April class.
Thanks...I have an A+P but not the FE written...not sure if I'd be considered for an FE slot.

I assume they require loading/unloading along with fueling of the aircraft as well?
Old 02-15-2019, 12:03 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Apr 2016

We carry loadmasters to do the loading and unloading. The FE does do the fueling normally, as well as preflight. Need to have at least the FE writtens done or they won't look at the application. The Chief FE is a DE who can and has done the initial FE ticket, but if you don't have tests done, it doesn't show you really have much interest in playing. That said, almost all of the competitive FE applicants, and from that the new hires, have some Herc experience, either flying or maintaining. Somebody who knows the plane sitting in the middle seat makes everything run better. Of course, there are getting to be fewer and fewer of those as the military sheds their C-130Hs in favor of Js.
Old 04-30-2019, 06:38 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: Apr 2019

Hi all, just newly discovered these guys and just wondering about some insight into what life is like at Lynden as an FO. I noticed they just started flying you out of your home city to the airplane if this is true? Not sure what the hiring outlook is either for the near future if anyone has any guidance on that as well. Thanks!
Old 05-06-2019, 03:15 PM
On Reserve

Lynden has been using home-basing for longer than I've been working here, I think since inception; it's nothing new. Approval of location by Chief Pilot and Scheduling is all that's required, and the company will fly you to where you're needed. We had one guy travelling in an RV with the family for quite a while, just updating his parking spot from month to month.

We have hit all of the continents, finally adding Antarctica last fall, and are cargo-only with the exception of some specialty operations such as oil spill response and firefighting. Scheduling goal is 18 on, 13 off, with the junior lines probably ending up in Africa, where we have two aircraft currently based. Our busiest market is Alaska/Canada, and will generally keep three aircraft busy through the summer months. The other aircraft will be wherever the contracts take us. Have one in PNG, as I type this. Interesting flying. PM me if you have specific questions.
Old 05-06-2019, 06:14 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: B777/CA retired

Lynden has been using home-basing for longer than I've been working here, I think since inception; it's nothing new. Approval of location by Chief Pilot and Scheduling is all that's required, and the company will fly you to where you're needed. We had one guy travelling in an RV with the family for quite a while, just updating his parking spot from month to month.

We have hit all of the continents, finally adding Antarctica last fall, and are cargo-only with the exception of some specialty operations such as oil spill response and firefighting. Scheduling goal is 18 on, 13 off, with the junior lines probably ending up in Africa, where we have two aircraft currently based. Our busiest market is Alaska/Canada, and will generally keep three aircraft busy through the summer months. The other aircraft will be wherever the contracts take us. Have one in PNG, as I type this. Interesting flying. PM me if you have specific questions.
On the specialty operations, are you Part 121 or Part 125? I was wondering because a few of our retired AWA guys have been flying for one of your competitors.
Old 05-07-2019, 01:04 PM
CFIing

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Anyone know what competitive hiring mins are?
Old 05-08-2019, 04:57 PM
On Reserve

Specialty operations are done under part 137.

jrav8r, I sent you a PM, but in case anyone else is curious:

In the LAC General Operations Manual it lists New Hire Employment Requirements as:

5,000 hours of experience as a Pilot.
An ATP Certificate.
Current Class I Medical Certificate.
4 year degree preferred.
Simulator flight evaluation.

I know for a fact they're very flexible on those requirements, and have hired people with closer to 3000 hours when the need arose and the individual had good, challenging flying experience. They have also hired individuals without an ATP, as long as they, again, had good experience and had their writtens done. As far as the sim check goes, I didn't have one and as far as I know, they have never required one for hire. I'm guessing that is an artifact left over from a previous company's manual, well plagiarized.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:21 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2019

What exactly is home basing?

You mentioned 18 on and 13 off. OS this 18 days straight of being gone from home?
Old 05-16-2019, 01:31 PM
On Reserve

Originally Posted by PreciousCargo View Post
What exactly is home basing?

You mentioned 18 on and 13 off. OS this 18 days straight of being gone from home?
Home basing means the company buys you a ticket from your home airport to wherever in the world they need you to meet up with the airplane. The 18 on/13 off does mean being gone for 18 days straight. If you managed to bid the last half of one month and the first half of the next, you could be gone 36. I will say this has never happened to me. After the 15th day on the road, they bump your hourly salary by $10/hour for FOs and FEs, $15 for Captains. This would count for either the 3 hours guaranteed (2 hour daily guarantee (60per month/30 days=2 hours/day) + 1 hour of over-guarantee for being on the road, flying or not), or whatever hard time you flew each day.

Some people don't like being on the road that long at a time, but others don't mind getting the work out of the way and have long stretches at home. It's not for everybody, but great for those who like it.
Old 05-16-2019, 07:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2019

Home basing means the company buys you a ticket from your home airport to wherever in the world they need you to meet up with the airplane. The 18 on/13 off does mean being gone for 18 days straight. If you managed to bid the last half of one month and the first half of the next, you could be gone 36. I will say this has never happened to me. After the 15th day on the road, they bump your hourly salary by $10/hour for FOs and FEs, $15 for Captains. This would count for either the 3 hours guaranteed (2 hour daily guarantee (60per month/30 days=2 hours/day) + 1 hour of over-guarantee for being on the road, flying or not), or whatever hard time you flew each day.

Some people don't like being on the road that long at a time, but others don't mind getting the work out of the way and have long stretches at home. It's not for everybody, but great for those who like it.

Four Fans, thank you very much for your responses about this company and how they operate. I'm not sure if that schedule is suitable for me but I now know a little more about them. Thank you again