FAA - Aviation Safety Inspector

Notices
Leaving the Career Alternative careers for pilots

FAA - Aviation Safety Inspector

Old 05-03-2010, 12:15 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Default FAA - Aviation Safety Inspector

Anyone have any gouge on KSA specifics for the 1825 jobs at FAA?
I know there are alot of KSA writing on the internet, but any specifics for this job?

I've been out of school way to long.
Old 05-03-2010, 12:34 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Bus Driver

There are several books on writing KSA's available at your public library. I found them to have better information then what was available online.

I have been told that they screen KSA's for specific words/wording relating to each job. If your KSA contains the correct wording then it moves on to a person in HR and then on to the specific department. If you know someone that works there, they might be able to put in a good word for you and have your application pulled.

I've applied for two different FAA jobs and have never heard back (so maybe you are better off using the examples you found online). The KSA process was extremely difficult in my opinion.

Good luck!
Old 05-03-2010, 03:15 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2008

I appreciate that.

Yes I've found writing KSA's somewhat overwhelming

thanks again

Last edited by NY320Capt; 05-03-2010 at 05:49 PM.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:26 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: JAFO- First Observer
Smile

KSA's are difficult to write because people generally don't like to write about themselves. The good news is that at some point in the near future, KSA's are going away. The OPM acknowledges that it is not the most efficient way to screen people for federal jobs. The key to writing successful KSA's is to:

"Pat yourself on the back" on paper - write everything you have done to contribute to your organization's success, keeping in mind the concept that the particular KSA is asking for. Short, direct sentences work best.

"On Jan 20XX I directed.... I managed.... I, I, I..."

Take a break, have some tylenol (your hand will be sore from patting yourself on the back)" Then do it again.

It is not a book report about a concept. It is what, when, how, and the result of your efforts. Don't forget to include applicable formal training like CRM/Human Factors and any Aviation Safety related courses.

BTW, I bailed from the flight deck to a cubicle 3.5 years ago. I took a pay cut to come to the govt. Think long and hard about what you are about to give up before commiting to govt work. If you have alot of time left before retirement, office life may be difficult to swallow! G/L