Notices

Atlas Air Hiring

Old 03-24-2017, 10:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2012

Originally Posted by whooooooocares View Post
Anyone willing to chat with me about getting in with Atlas. I am familiar with what is going on there and would like to discuss matters in more detail. I am stuck in my current position and would like to get out.

Please don't bash me for wanting to come there and tell me what a piece of ignorant trash I am for wanting to work for such a terrible company.

I want information and an opportunity to move on from the regional world.

Sure PM me.
Old 03-24-2017, 12:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Anyone willing to chat with me about getting in with Atlas. I am familiar with what is going on there and would like to discuss matters in more detail. I am stuck in my current position and would like to get out.

Please don't bash me for wanting to come there and tell me what a piece of ignorant trash I am for wanting to work for such a terrible company.

Yes. Apply, and go to job fair in Vegas next month.
Old 03-24-2017, 01:25 PM
Ice-bagger

Joined APC: Sep 2014

You are in luck...PM me anytime. No bashing from me. Ignorant trash in the house!!! whoot whoot!

There are at least a few posters on here that will give it to you straight about the good the bad and the ugly at Atlas without the exaggerated slants.

Be careful with whom you associate with on this thread because there are those that have disdain for anyone who disagrees with the idea that "Atlas is ALL bad and should be burned to the ground".

I still can't fathom the notion that even if life is so bad for an individual in their career that they would rather see it go out of business while they are still employed rather than swallow a bit of pride and admit that Atlas is viable enough until the phone rings. "Viable enough" is not any sort of admission that nothing bad is happening here. There are a lot of negative things going on here. I just choose to make the best of a bad situation rather than dwell on things I can do nothing about.
Old 03-24-2017, 04:00 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Sep 2016

Walking in to a war that you will be held accountable to fight while on probation and flying with people that are furious is as straight as I can give it.
Old 03-24-2017, 09:50 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: 767 CA

Originally Posted by 5Ypilot View Post
Walking in to a war that you will be held accountable to fight while on probation and flying with people that are furious is as straight as I can give it.
^^^^ This... I've had airlines go out of business on me, I've been Furloughed, been through multiple mergers, negotiations ect and I've never witnessed anything more hostile than the current work environment at At-last air.
Old 03-25-2017, 06:48 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2010
Position: 747 CA

I have been asking the younger regional FO's why did they come to Alas? They pretty much all say that it is better than where they were, but only marginally better at this point. They came here thinking that we would have a good contract by now. They now see the facts and are leaving ASAP.

Should you turn a job down at Atlas? Well, that is the multi million dollar question for many younger pilots. I'll say a pilot 40 or younger. I tell people to come here if you have no other job offer. Is Atlas horrible? No, it is not that bad except for the fact that everywhere else is better now. Even K4 seems better now!

Atlas and Connie are about the only companies left in the true old skool freight/charter world. Atlas used to be the best of the worst, but the landscape has changed now.

Many of us old skool guys simply don't want to fly pax and are too established in our ways to make a change. Nobody wants to give up being a Skipper on a Whale to start at the bottom again. But when you have only been here a year or so and have a degree, you have to look at the simple math. You will lose over a million dollars by coming to Atlas. You decide...

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 03-25-2017 at 06:50 AM. Reason: grammar
Old 03-25-2017, 06:53 AM
Ice-bagger

hos·tileˈhästl,ˈhäˌstīl/
adjective
adjective: hostile
unfriendly; antagonistic.
"a hostile audience"
synonyms:unfriendly, unkind, bitter, unsympathetic, malicious, vicious, rancorous, venomous, poisonous, virulent;

I asked the interwebs;

What constitutes a hostile work environment?

Harassment becomes unlawful where 1) enduring the offensive conduct becomes a condition of continued employment, or 2) the conduct is severe or pervasive enough to create a work environment that a reasonable person would consider intimidating, hostile, or abusive.

For me I like to use the literal meaning of a word to get my point across, not a twisted, distorted or perverse definition to unnecessarily rally support using rhetoric for a cause or position where support for that cause already has momentum. Our language is so powerful and we have vocabulary that is so vast that it becomes counterproductive to misuse definitions of words in an effort to enhance a standpoint whereby the target audience will inevitably procure, dissect and draw their own conclusions regardless of extemporaneous internet threads. In this case a candidate will walk in, expect extreme hardship and hostility based on the premise that Atlas is a hostile work environment. To make the argument that Atlas is a hostile work environment is hypocritical in nature because it is based on the notion that the goal in making the aforementioned argument is to incite fear in prospective candidates in hopes of either scaring them toward one position or another or to keep them from applying altogether. That being said, that same candidate will hypothetically conclude training, get online and may or may not witness the drama, hostility, and poisonous behavior that has disseminated through the rumor mill and may begin to make inferences that perhaps the rhetoric is being overplayed thereby diluting the cause to muster support toward obtaining a better contract. People come from different backgrounds and have different experiences therefore not everyone will agree to a particular point....and that is OK.

From my side of the proverbial table, it sucks to be going through these poor business decisions that Atlas is making in an effort to secure a better contract plain and simple. And it is because I am not sitting on the CEO's side of the table that I believe it is bad business. I do want more money and better work rules. If I were on the other side of that table however, I am sure my perspective and definition of good/bad business would change. But that is all it is....BUSINESS. This song and dance that Atlas and the union are engaging in is tantamount to political hearings and Senate confirmations: The target gets pulled through the ringer and then gets passed, one way or another. But do I think my work environment is unlawful or hostile to me personally in anyway, no.

This post is not directed toward anyone in particular. It is my personal opinion so if there are those that feel the urge to make me the recipient of a personal attack because of that opinion then I would implore that person to think twice before submitting or suffer the potential consequence from the multitude of individuals who read this forum that hold very dear the sanctity of freedom of speech.

and btw, well said Atlas Shrugged. Those that fall into some of those categories shouldn't be ridiculed for wanting to make Atlas a change from where they came regardless for the duration of their stay or dissenting opinion.

Last edited by Davetastic; 03-25-2017 at 07:03 AM. Reason: add comment.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:45 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Left & Right

Dave, it's a shame your post will never resonate. Hyperbole rules the day, unfortunately.

All the cheap, petty things the company does to us on a daily basis are bad enough on their own. No need to couch them in over-the-top language like "hostile," "threatening," or "evil." All it does is just turn people off. Does nothing for our cause.

How about we give prospective applicants accurate information, without the histrionics, and let them be smart enough to make their own decisions.
Old 03-25-2017, 12:49 PM
Ice-bagger

Originally Posted by tahoejace View Post
Dave, it's a shame your post will never resonate. Hyperbole rules the day, unfortunately.

All the cheap, petty things the company does to us on a daily basis are bad enough on their own. No need to couch them in over-the-top language like "hostile," "threatening," or "evil." All it does is just turn people off. Does nothing for our cause.

How about we give prospective applicants accurate information, without the histrionics, and let them be smart enough to make their own decisions.
Agreed on all counts. Well put and thank you.
Old 03-25-2017, 01:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged View Post
I have been asking the younger regional FO's why did they come to Alas? They pretty much all say that it is better than where they were, but only marginally better at this point. They came here thinking that we would have a good contract by now. They now see the facts and are leaving ASAP.

Should you turn a job down at Atlas? Well, that is the multi million dollar question for many younger pilots. I'll say a pilot 40 or younger. I tell people to come here if you have no other job offer. Is Atlas horrible? No, it is not that bad except for the fact that everywhere else is better now. Even K4 seems better now!

Atlas and Connie are about the only companies left in the true old skool freight/charter world. Atlas used to be the best of the worst, but the landscape has changed now.

Many of us old skool guys simply don't want to fly pax and are too established in our ways to make a change. Nobody wants to give up being a Skipper on a Whale to start at the bottom again. But when you have only been here a year or so and have a degree, you have to look at the simple math. You will lose over a million dollars by coming to Atlas. You decide...
+1... You'll work more days and be gone more too.