Notices

Atlas Air Hiring

Old 11-17-2017, 05:40 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2017

Originally Posted by Boss Hoggin View Post
I currently fly for a Part 121 carrier that opted out of the FFDO program. To rephrase my question: Are there any pilots at Atlas that are currently FFDO Officers?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
You are absolutely mistaken.
H.R. 4635, "Arming Pilots Against Terrorism Act" moved to remove liability from carriers, and shift the responsibility onto the federal government for actions of FFDO's, and "Prohibits an air carrier from prohibiting or threatening any retaliatory action against a pilot for becoming a Federal flight deck officer."
An eligible air carrier CAN NOT prohibit its pilots from applying and becoming deputized. If you're really interested in the program, I suggest you start with reading the bill that made the program possible.
Old 11-17-2017, 07:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2014

Originally Posted by captainv View Post
There are a few. You could only realistically participate on the 767 side, on domestic cargo runs.
Even then I'd think it was tricky. What if they change your schedule and send you to Europe?
Old 11-17-2017, 11:29 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005
Position: LAMA/P180/747

Originally Posted by Flyfish83 View Post
That's what I am afraid of. If they take away the gateway and home basing it would make an already tough commute almost impossible. Looking from the outside in, I want to be optimistic that management would to agree on a good contract and keep the backbone of their operation happy. Unfortunately, everything I read seems to say otherwise. Good luck to all you guys that are in the thick of it. If it looks as though it will change for the better, I may just have to put in my app.
Don't be too afraid. If we do lose Gateway or Home basing, its because we would have a contract similar to UPS in the next five years.
Lol
Old 11-17-2017, 09:25 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2015

Atlas has zero interest in negotiating a contract. This is all a show so they can say they tried. Every time anything involving money comes up they're not prepared.
They're waiting for the courts to rule in their favor and force the merger of the two exsisting contracts.

If they can find a way to drop our travel they will. Put that monkey on their employees. They don't care. It's a cost they don't want.

Don't come here in the hopes of a new contract. HR and middle management are lying to incoming applicants just to fill the seats any way they can.

Everyone is abandoning the ship as fast as they can. Unfortunately the carriers aren't taking our guys fast enough.
UPS! FedEx! Want to take care of the competition??? Take their pilots!!
Everyone would leave tomorrow.
Old 11-18-2017, 04:06 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2013
Position: FO

Originally Posted by Crazy Canuck View Post
Yes, Atlas has often works with me to get me alternate travel to wherever I am in the world. It’s one of the few perks we have, for now at least. Many times I have enjoyed alternate travel intra Europe to go from a personal travel trip to work.

Keep in mind they are not obligated to and your success will depend upon the mood of whatever travel/scheduling agent you get on the phone. BKK would be an easy one because we have a freighter to HKG every day as well. With things going south between the union and company don’t be surprised if they axe this completely, as alternate travel is completely at their discretion.
thank you, appreciate it
Old 11-18-2017, 04:46 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Nov 2017

Has anyone been contacted for the upcoming classes - online test, phone interview, interview invitation?
Old 11-19-2017, 11:15 PM
New Hire

Default Possible interview

Was told by Agnes that I might be getting a one off interview in late December. If this is true then the spotlight is going to be on. Any tech gouge for the interview?
Old 11-22-2017, 03:56 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Position: Wichita

Originally Posted by 83bimmer View Post
Was told by Agnes that I might be getting a one off interview in late December. If this is true then the spotlight is going to be on. Any tech gouge for the interview?
Do you know what a 10-9 page is? If so, you’re hired.

If not, we will teach you this in training.
Old 11-25-2017, 12:25 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Oct 2017
Default Training

Sounds like training is a fire house seat-of-your-pants affair. If you come positive and determined to grit your teeth and do it sounds like one might have as good a chance as any in the 74.

Now would anyone say that the training atmosphere in the 747 program is hostile? Are people setting you up? It's one thing to pass a difficult checkride, it's another to pass someone with agenda.

Thanks for any answers...
RK
Old 11-25-2017, 05:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2010
Position: 747 CA

Originally Posted by ROCKETM8 View Post
Sounds like training is a fire house seat-of-your-pants affair. If you come positive and determined to grit your teeth and do it sounds like one might have as good a chance as any in the 74.

Now would anyone say that the training atmosphere in the 747 program is hostile? Are people setting you up? It's one thing to pass a difficult checkride, it's another to pass someone with agenda.

Thanks for any answers...
RK
I would not say that anyone is setting you up. They have made changes in MIA and it is certainly better that it used to be. They fired some of the worst offenders.

SA is the director of training, and he has made significant improvements such as the new computer training which is night and day better.

The problem is that the entire training program is not set up to handle pilots with no international and or heavy experience. They simply are not prepared or willing to spend the time and money necessary to train the type of pilots we are hiring now. We are seeing the results of this out on the line on a daily basis.

Atlas is not a beginners airline. Pilots are being released from OE without a North Atlantic crossing. Mistakes are being made that would have been unimaginable 5 years ago. Of course, the company blames the pilots for all of this...

My advice to any new hire is to purchase a quality active noise cancelling headset BEFORE you start OE! Read the ICAO Communications manual.

When you choose to become an international pilot, you have to follow the international rules. You sound like an unprofessional clown when you say things like "Giant 1234, 2 point 5 climbing to 9000."

In some ways, the flying we do is easier than what many regional guys are used to. We don't fly 4 legs a day, etc. Anyone with a good attitude and appropriate aptitude can fly the whale around the globe, but you have to know a lot of stuff that is not necessarily written in a book in order to do it safely and efficiently. Experience is purchased with time, effort, and exposure.