Notices

Atlas Air Hiring

Old 03-16-2018, 04:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2016

Originally Posted by rmr1992 View Post
If it happened, it is a CBA violation. Did you contact a steward or the scheduling committee or just complain about it here? Can't happen unless you volunteer for it... Scheduling system prevents them from awarding the conflicting lines unless you check the box at the top of the page in the system. I have had to check this box once to allow me to bid for the days I needed off late in the next bid month, but you have to uncheck it next time around or it stays like that and then you CAN possibly be assigned a schedule you don't want. However, it's also likely you aren't eligible for many of those lines due to FAR flight hours limitations, which the system will not allow to be assigned even if you volunteer for them. Regardless, if it did happen to you, it is/was a CBA violation.

Per CBA, 25B....

"A Crewmember shall not be involuntarily assigned to any schedule that would require any duty in excess of seventeen (17) consecutive Duty Days without an intervening seven (7) consecutive scheduled Days Off, except as specifically provided for in subsection 25.L.2.a., below. The Company may adjust an affected Crewmember’s Bid Line in the second month in order to provide the minimum number of consecutive Days Off (or fewer if agreed upon by the Crewmember) or assign the Crewmember a Reserve Line for the second Bid Month."
Yes it happened to me and I don't appreciate your tone. The scheduling committee told me tough luck, nothing they can do because it is NOT A CBA VIOLATION. It is the companies interpretation of that section. If you are junior as I was in seat at the time, you get what's left over. I did not bid for the awarded line or check the box, they just jammed it up my A$$ and still the union would not touch it. This is who you work for. Look up the word CONSECUTIVE.
Old 03-16-2018, 08:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007
Position: Capt

I didn't realize that you could be forced into back-to-back trips without the minimum number of days off between trips.

We have to change the CBA so that you will get a minimum number of days off between trips IF YOU REQUEST the days off. That would fix it. Then it won't matter what you bid or do not bid.
Old 03-17-2018, 02:17 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Atrasaty View Post
Yes it happened to me and I don't appreciate your tone. The scheduling committee told me tough luck, nothing they can do because it is NOT A CBA VIOLATION. It is the companies interpretation of that section. If you are junior as I was in seat at the time, you get what's left over. I did not bid for the awarded line or check the box, they just jammed it up my A$$ and still the union would not touch it. This is who you work for. Look up the word CONSECUTIVE.
Especially a 30 day line, followed by VTO the second. Very easy to bid a line and get caught spending 34 days on the road. Plus commute, plus extended into X days. = 39 day trip. 39 day trip- think about that.

( " you bid it, you own it " Was told don't bid next time, and would of been given 7 days off )
Old 03-17-2018, 06:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by atpcliff View Post
I didn't realize that you could be forced into back-to-back trips without the minimum number of days off between trips.

We have to change the CBA so that you will get a minimum number of days off between trips IF YOU REQUEST the days off. That would fix it. Then it won't matter what you bid or do not bid.
That's the problem Cliff.....the intent was minimum days off between trips because they regularly forced back to back trips on crew members under the last contract. However the verbiage only specifies maximum CONSECUTIVE days to trigger the 7 days off and their contention is that 17-X-17 is totally legal and contract compliant. The union agrees. The same can be said for the amalgamation mess we are in now. It's purpose is to prevent parallel operations and whipsawing not to abrogate section six negotiaions. However thanks to the wording of that section and our managements willingness to destroy our rights, regardless of contractual intent, we are going to have a contract dictated by them forced upon us in X years. That contract will have the same verbiage on these two issues and it will be rinse and repeat at the expiration of that 10 year "deal" too.
Old 03-18-2018, 08:46 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2005

Originally Posted by Tacos View Post
All you have to do is mess up your bid.
Negative.

You can be the best god damned bidder on the planet and still end up in this scenario. Review previous posts...
Old 03-18-2018, 08:56 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2017

Bid what you want and only what you want. Works great. I haven’t had a 17x17 since I learned the hard way once and only once.

Actually, this is something our union mentors can really help out with. So fewer people get snagged.
Old 03-19-2018, 04:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Elevation View Post
Bid what you want and only what you want. Works great. I haven’t had a 17x17 since I learned the hard way once and only once.

Actually, this is something our union mentors can really help out with. So fewer people get snagged.
Be careful with your bids- no need to spend 40 days on the road for 45k a year.
Old 03-19-2018, 06:31 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Elevation View Post

Very true Elevation. With a bit of seniority and contract knowledge you should be able to avoid the trap. The problem can arise when you don't have enough seniority to bid enough lines and then you can get assigned by "system." Also there is still the misapprehension that you are entitled to 7 days off after 17 days of duty. New hires are very vulnerable to this abuse.
Old 03-19-2018, 07:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2017
Default applied

Applied to Atlas. I have more than the minimums listed.
Crickets. Is there any email to contact to see if they got my application?
Old 03-19-2018, 11:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by MysteriousMrX View Post
Applied to Atlas. I have more than the minimums listed.
Crickets. Is there any email to contact to see if they got my application?
Just keep trying. They need bodies to commute to ANC two days before work- and do 40 day trips for 45k a year.