Notices

Atlas Air Hiring

Old 06-24-2010, 01:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Position: Turning off the spigot....

Anyone have any info / gouge on the Atlas Air Online Technical Assessment?
Old 06-24-2010, 01:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2007
Position: 744 CA

Originally Posted by Waldo11 View Post
Anyone have any info / gouge on the Atlas Air Online Technical Assessment?
Tougher than most of us expected. though I am sure the info is on this or one of several other boards now. It was 50 questions... with 60 minutes to answer them. once you answer a question you CAN NOT go back and change the answer... you get one shot to mark it correct.
Old 06-24-2010, 02:00 PM
Gets Weekends Off

What should I be looking at before I start this bad johnny...
Old 06-24-2010, 02:35 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by Twin Wasp View Post
No, you don't have to live in base, in fact living in base can be bad for you. You will have "Gateway" travel AS LONG AS you live more than 130 miles from your base and you live in the lower 48 or Alaska. (I think it's 130, or something close. Hawaii, you're on your own.) The company will provide transportation from your gateway airport to your base to start your trip. The Gateway airport has to have X number of flights a day but there are plenty. The down side is since this is a benifit the company provides you, under some IRS reg, the value of the ticket is considered inputed income and you have income tax withheld against the cost of the ticket. So you didn't ever want to go to your base.

Same thing about hotels in base. If you do get reserve in your base and don't live there, the company will provide a hotel but the cost of the hotel counts as income and you have tax withheld.

You'll probably never see your base in the middle of a line because under Flag regs, when you hit your base, you get doubleout rest. You're down twice the number of hours you've flown since you were last in your base and the company won't want to loose you for 3 or 4 days in the middle of your pattern.

A lot of JFK lines don't really start in JFK. The first leg may be a deadhead to ORD. So the line will pay deadhead pay JFK-ORD but if you live in ATL, the company will just buy you a ticket ATL-ORD.
Can you elaborate a little more on this "gateway" travel please? I live close to ORD and am just wondering a couple things. Is this travel considered part of your trip? Or is it done on your day off without pay? How much time ahead of your report time will they travel you out?

Also, I have a pay related question. Does Atlas have any pay / duty rigs? For instance, if you have a three day layover somewhere overseas, is there any sort of min day pay? Or do you only get paid for the hours you fly?

Thanks for the info.

Last edited by sandstorm; 06-24-2010 at 02:37 PM. Reason: added a question
Old 06-24-2010, 03:52 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: Sr. VP of button pushing

There are no trip or duty rigs, just flight time and dead head time, which pays 1 for 3.

The company will position you so that you get rest before you start flying. All patterns start and end in your base. So yes, if you start flying at 6z on day one, you'll have to travel without pay on your day off. Same thing at the end of a line, if you get into JFK at 2200, you'll be going home on your first day off. But if day one is just a limo ride JFK to DOV to be in position to fly on day two, they could ticket you ORD-PHL with a limo to DOV but you'd only be paid JFK-DOV.
Old 06-24-2010, 05:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2008

Originally Posted by Twin Wasp View Post
There are no trip or duty rigs, just flight time and dead head time, which pays 1 for 3.
Is there a lot of DH'ing done every month?

I understand first year guarantee is only 50 hours / month. Is it normal for trips to credit that low every month? How many hours per month could a junior FO expect to credit each month?
Old 06-24-2010, 09:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2007
Position: Sr. VP of button pushing

Yes, there's a lot of deadheading both on company aircraft and pax flights. I just changed countries between the last post.

It's hard to say what you'll make but it'll probably be a bit over guarantee. I'm on revision 10 to my schedule and I've got a couple days to go. I've been up to 75 hours and down to 52. If nothing else changes I'll credit 59 for June.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:41 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2010
Default Online test

Originally Posted by Waldo11 View Post
What should I be looking at before I start this bad johnny...

It isn't easy...it's kind of obscure. Look at the weather symbols for freezing drizzle (and other items), look at the lighting for rwy end (CL and edge), and look at what constitutes vrb winds, gusting winds in a TAF/METAR. That's what I remember. It was broad.

Interview: phone straight forward. One question: Why Atlas?

Interview MIA: Employment History: Background, favorite job
Technical: TAF, approach brief
Panel: Why Atlas? Bad Captain, Suspect Alcohol, How did you get to flying...etc.

Overall, good interview. Very thorough, very professional. I did not feel intimidated at all. After a couple of days, I realized I had no idea how I did. I think that is/may be good. Why? They want a fit...super long haul and many days gone. Why did I get the offer?...I'm full of BS...LOL.

Honestly, I really wanted it. I think it is a great outfit. Ask me by Christmas.
Old 06-25-2010, 04:47 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by charles9 View Post
It isn't easy...it's kind of obscure. Look at the weather symbols for freezing drizzle (and other items), look at the lighting for rwy end (CL and edge), and look at what constitutes vrb winds, gusting winds in a TAF/METAR. That's what I remember. It was broad.

Panel: Why Atlas? Bad Captain, Suspect Alcohol, How did you get to flying...etc.

Overall, good interview. Very thorough, very professional. I did not feel intimidated at all. After a couple of days, I realized I had no idea how I did. I think that is/may be good. Why? They want a fit...super long haul and many days gone. Why did I get the offer?...I'm full of BS...LOL.

Honestly, I really wanted it. I think it is a great outfit. Ask me by Christmas.
Very nice thanks for the intel.
Old 06-25-2010, 06:21 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: B767 CA

Originally Posted by charles9 View Post

I don't think I would have gotten the job if I had interviewed now...but that shouldn't be the reason for anyone to be discouraged. You need to rise to the occassion and knock their socks off. That is what performing under pressure is all about...like making a tough approach, in bad weather, fighting heavy x-winds.

Good luck to you all. It is a good company, and work life is getting better. We have good fleet, good future, good business plan, and great group of guys to work with.