Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Flight Schools and Training
ATP comments/experience with CFI program >

ATP comments/experience with CFI program

Search
Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

ATP comments/experience with CFI program

Search this Thread

Old 11-22-2010, 05:47 PM
Muy Importanté

Joined APC: Jun 2008
Default ATP comments/experience with CFI program

I am a pilot with about 450 hours. Looking for a way to get time, so I have decided to get my CFI and II(possibly MEI). Planning on getting it Part 61 instead of 141 and found ATP. Has anyone had any personal experiences/stories/anything(?) with ATP either GOOD or BAD? Or any other recommended places that expediate ways to get your CFI/II? Thanks!
Old 11-26-2010, 02:55 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2008
Position: Fishing Florida Daily

Crystal Aero Group in Florida! The examiners own the school!!!
Old 11-28-2010, 05:13 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008

I have never flown any ATP planes or been affiliated with the school, but I've talked to instructors there a decent amount.

They get paid on salary, $1,500 a month or $2,000 a month if your considered the supervisor. They work 7 days a week... and thats from fairly early in the morning until its dark out and time to go home to sleep. They push their students in and out so quickly I wonder i the students really have enough time to absorb and feel comfortable with all the information they're being taught.

So basically, the salary guarentees them a paycheck. Not many places can say that. If you do the math for how often they are there (from the time they walk in until the time they leave) the pay comes out to like $3 an hour, but $1,500 is probably still more than alot of CFIs make in a month.

They seem to have a steady flow of students and get a decent amount of experience.

You wear uniforms and have official looking airplanes so I guess it feels like more of a real job than most CFI gigs.
Old 12-06-2010, 10:22 AM
Muy Importanté

Joined APC: Jun 2008

I meant as to obtaining the CFI/II/MEI through the school. I know it seems like a lot...3 ratings in 14 days
Old 12-15-2010, 09:34 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2010

Originally Posted by 08udaviator View Post
I meant as to obtaining the CFI/II/MEI through the school. I know it seems like a lot...3 ratings in 14 days
I went to ATP and did this program about a year and a half ago. I was lucky enough to get employed with a CFI job at a 4 year University to instruct while I finish my degree this spring, but comments about the program are all good for the most part. Guys in Jacksonville are great about 60 hours of ground school for the first week. Then cranking out the certificates the second week. I do feel like it is rushed but can be done if you have the right back knowledge and are 100% dedicated and don't plan on doing anything else those two weeks. I came from a structured part 141 school for my commercial, so I felt pretty prepared, but study and come prepared and you will do fine. I do feel like nothing will prepare you for being a CFI quite like your first few experiences with actual students.