Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Am I 135 material?

Old 05-10-2011, 03:30 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2011
Position: Piper passenger

135 flying is more about people and personalities. While I cant speak to the cargo operations out there when you are in the on-demand charter world it truly is all about customer service, and sometimes it is indeed a high wire act, balancing duty regs, and safety with the customers needs, but it can also be a very rewarding career for the right personality type. I enjoy the fact that I have much more freedom in the 135 world. But with that comes much more opportunity to step on your own wang. Personally I enjoy the challanges of on demand. I cant see myself ever re-entering the 121 world, but then never say never
Old 05-26-2011, 01:51 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2008
Position: Advanced Newbie

Jet7 - Are you getting any multi-time at the flight school you're working at? With over 1000 TT and only 50 Multi, it doesn't sound like it. You can be friggen Superman and not be offered a seat virtually anywhere in the 121/135 world because of low multi-time. Even a bachelor's degree will be meaningless. Not having one can be overlooked to get on with a carrier. It's not on the insurance policy minimums. Multi-time minimums ARE. How do I know? I'm an honors grad from an aviation university with very low multi-time and I can't get anyone to respond to my resume unless I hand it to them face-to-face. Is a Bachelor's important? Hell yes, but don't neglect your multi-time. I've had to fight for every hour I've logged.
Old 05-26-2011, 09:00 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Mar 2007

Yes and no. Education is important. Some companies may require a 4 year degree and others prefer it. The multi-time requirement is important. But given how things run in this industry let them tell you "no." If you meet the overall total time minimums but are only shy by 50 hours of multi then you should apply. There have been cases where pilots are hired who don't always match the minimums. It could be because of an internal recomendation or it could be because they really liked the individual and felt they were a good fit. It's a crap shoot really. Just keep your chin up and keep knocking on doors and sending the resumes. We have all been where you are at currently. But persistance pays off in the end. Good luck!
Old 05-28-2011, 07:38 AM
Apteryx

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by Jet7 View Post
I hold a Commercial AMEL, ASEL, Instrument Airplane with CFI, CFII, and MEI certificates. Does anyone know of any 135 openings in the DFW metroplex area? Are any of them hiring guys with only 1200 hours TT and 50 in a multi?

To further complicate things, I am a college student at the University of North Texas with afternoon classes Tuesday through Thursday. It might be impossible, but I am looking for a flying position that fits around my school schedule?
It looks like you probably meet the 14CFR135.243(c) minimum experience requirements for IFR pilot in command, so the real question is whether you want to work a full time job. You probably won't find many takers while your availability is constrained by college studies. Maybe you should finish school, then take a look at other postings on this site. Often the starting point at your stage of the game is a reputable 135 cargo outfit. Won't be an easy row to hoe, but you'll get invaulable real-world experience that will open the door to higher rungs on the ladder.
Old 05-29-2011, 04:02 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Sep 2010

Am I 135 material?
No. No 135 certificate holder is going to want you in your current condition (not available due to school.)
Like one of the other posters suggested, instruct in your spare time while you work on your degree, with the emphasis on multi.
Old 06-04-2011, 03:42 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Feb 2011

Originally Posted by Badgeman View Post
Jet7 - Are you getting any multi-time at the flight school you're working at? With over 1000 TT and only 50 Multi, it doesn't sound like it. You can be friggen Superman and not be offered a seat virtually anywhere in the 121/135 world because of low multi-time. Even a bachelor's degree will be meaningless. Not having one can be overlooked to get on with a carrier. It's not on the insurance policy minimums. Multi-time minimums ARE. How do I know? I'm an honors grad from an aviation university with very low multi-time and I can't get anyone to respond to my resume unless I hand it to them face-to-face. Is a Bachelor's important? Hell yes, but don't neglect your multi-time. I've had to fight for every hour I've logged.
Believe it or not I have avoided working at the local flight schools. The pay and hours are terrible. Instead, I have been flying for a Cessna dealer in Arlington, Texas. My flights/trips are all single pilot IFR and most of them go between 300-1200 nm. Currently, I am 1400+ TT, 870 cross country (>50), 100 actual IMC, and 84 Multi. My hope is to stand out from all of the flight school CFIs who seemingly build most of their time in the local traffic patterns with 152/172s.

Unfortunately, Cessna no longer makes light piston twins, therefore, I don't fly them on these trips. I have been able to tag along on several Baron and 310 flights and that is how the majority of my multi time has been gained.

I have talked with Martinare and GTA, however they are unwilling to train me because I have to return to school in the fall. It does seem impossible to do 135 and school at the same time.
Old 06-10-2011, 09:58 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Airplanes

Good luck Jet, seriously. I'm DFW with 3500+ TT, 2500+ PIC, 2000+ Multi, 3 types (with time in each), 91, 91K, and 135 experience and I haven't flown in 18 months.

It's tough out there. DO NOT DROP OUT OF SCHOOL BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-10-2011, 05:17 PM
New Hire

Joined APC: May 2011

Originally Posted by Macjet View Post
Good luck Jet, seriously. I'm DFW with 3500+ TT, 2500+ PIC, 2000+ Multi, 3 types (with time in each), 91, 91K, and 135 experience and I haven't flown in 18 months.

It's tough out there. DO NOT DROP OUT OF SCHOOL BROTHER!!!!!!!!!!
Damn. If that doesn't make you want to pop open a beer, I don't know what does.