Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

Job dilemma

Old 05-09-2011, 12:15 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Feb 2010
Default Job dilemma

Hey everybody, I'm curious what you think.
I've been working for my current employer for 8 months and have been enjoying my job and schedule, but recent upgrade issues have come I to play. I was hired as a low time, project pilot (2800 TT, 400 multi, 325 multi turbine) to fly Cheyenne 2's and 3's part 135. We also operate 2 PC-12's, a Citation Excel and a Citation V. I was hired on the stipulation when I get to 500 multi I get a raise and become eligible for upgrades. In my second month with the company I experienced a catastrophic engine failure in the company's 210 on a 135 flight with 3 pax, and made a successful off-airport landing with no injuries or damage. After paperwork was filed and a phone interview with the FAA it was ruled as neither and accident nor and incident. Since then my DO has been treating me with less and less respect and 2 pilots have been hired into the Cheyennes who now hold seniority over me. I have been assured that my job is not in jeopardy, but I am flying less and less (one trip last week, none this week). I am concerned that my DO is no longer considering me for upgrades, and I'm thinking that it might be time to move on.
What do you think? Should I stick it out and see what happens or should I look elsewhere? What opportunities are there for a guy with my time other than freight (been there, done that)?
Thanks for your input.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:40 PM
A Second Past V1

Joined APC: Feb 2007
Position: Assumed

Toss a couple of resumes out to those who are looking for pilots. Besides that, look at your job versus your QOL...if there is what you deem to be an issue, then it is time for a change.

Should you get offered another job, that gives you something to go to bat with against your DO. If they cant compete, then it is time to move on.
Old 05-09-2011, 03:42 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Before you assume too much. Try to talk to your DO and have an honest man to man talk with him and don't get confrontational. Be honest, but easy going and you may get somewhere by doing that. You never know, maybe sticking it out may be your best option. Don't burn bridges.
Good luck and it seems you have handled things correctly.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Line Holder

Default Thanks

Outlaw and ggerritsen, thanks for your responses. My DO is actually a really cool guy and is very easy to talk to. We just had pilot evaluations a couple of weeks ago, so I had a chance to sit down with my DO and CP and talk privately. I raised some of my concerns about progression within the company and the CP was sticking up for me quite a bit, but the DO just kind of shrugged of my concerns. Since then a new pilot has been hired and already been upgraded. Granted, I'm not the highest tome guy around, but I can't seem to figure out what a guy's got to do. I've put feeler resumes out, but honestly, I the QOL is pretty decent. No one likes working for a place where there is no way up though. I guess that's my primary concern.
Old 05-09-2011, 06:15 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2006
Position: Sofa Stress Tester

Just my .02 cents. Using another job offer as leverage may seem like a good idea, but it may come across as trying to strong arm. If a company truly values you as an employee then they should try to accommodate REASONABLE requests. If they aren't open to such requests, then perhaps it's time to dust off the old resume. However, just like everyone else will tell you. Don't burn bridges!
Old 05-09-2011, 06:50 PM
Line Holder

Default .02

Ziggy,
I don't want anyone at work to feel like I have any sense of entitlement by waving another job offer in their faces. The truth is that I don't know that I could get another job offer. I have a reasonable amount of time with the exception of multi time, so I don't have another offer to use as leverage anyway. Obviously, if there is something better out there I'd like to look into it, but if this is it for now I guess I'll just keep on keeping on.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:11 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2005

Find another job.

Years ago, I was in the same situation. The simple fact was the DO didn't like me. I was hired because they needed a body, not because they really wanted me. Move on.
Old 05-10-2011, 07:16 AM
Line Holder

Default Move on

Jetprop, I know I was hired out of desperation as I was told repeatedly by the DO that I was undequalified, but I was the only one available. With that in mind I wanted to be certain that I could show him that I am an asset to the company. The company repeatedly recieves complimentary emails regarding my piloting services which are forwarded to me, and I am the most often tipped pilot. I just assumed that even though I was hired in a pinch that my demonstrated value to the company would change how the DO sees me.
I'm not the type to do a job poorly just because some has low expectations for me, so I'll just keep doing my job the best I can and keep my eyes out for something else.
Old 05-10-2011, 03:51 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2011
Position: Piper passenger

Originally Posted by IdahoFlyer View Post
Jetprop, I know I was hired out of desperation as I was told repeatedly by the DO that I was undequalified, but I was the only one available. With that in mind I wanted to be certain that I could show him that I am an asset to the company. The company repeatedly recieves complimentary emails regarding my piloting services which are forwarded to me, and I am the most often tipped pilot. I just assumed that even though I was hired in a pinch that my demonstrated value to the company would change how the DO sees me.
I'm not the type to do a job poorly just because some has low expectations for me, so I'll just keep doing my job the best I can and keep my eyes out for something else.
Sometimes you are just worrying about something you are powerless to fix. Sometimes people just dont like us, but as long as you continue to hold youself to a higher standard you will do alright. I would say with your hours you can find something else if you look hard enough, but it might require a change of scenery. Good luck
Old 05-10-2011, 06:46 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Jan 2008
Position: Furlough/Gun Driver

Your problem may just be your insurability with the company. After your non- accident/incedent the insurance company still probably had to pay out a claim which means you may be a higher cost to the company. It may not be personal but just business from the DO's perspective. Don't burn your bridges, but if you get another job offer that offers you an opportunity for growth it may benefit you to take it. Don't use another offer as leverage as it will taint your current employment relationship, if you can find a better position leave, if not stay.