TMC- Travel Management Company

Notices
Part 135 Part 135 commercial operators

TMC- Travel Management Company

Old 05-02-2012, 07:29 AM
Holder Line

Joined APC: Mar 2011

Originally Posted by flyer9 View Post
I am a 121 guy looking to transition into the Fractional world. While on your 2 week rotation, is it likely that you will be on the road for the entire 2 weeks or if there is no flying scheduled are you at home?
Why would you do that? As someone who came from 135/91/Fractional to the Airlines I would not want to go back anytime soon.

You will be GONE for 2 weeks, where will you be? you probably wont know until the day of. Most of the planes do not have a 'home base' per-se.... so if you are flying a charter from NYC to Chicago, you will not return back to NYC at the conclusion of the charter, you will stay in Chicago(even if there is no potential flying) so that sales can try and sell a trip back to NYC, or anywhere else).

One thing to remember is even if the pay is annoying, and union issues are prevalent, in a airline all you do is fly. Thats it. On the charter side you have no real dispatch, no real customer service, nothing. Its all you. Your job is realistically 25% kiss-ass, 25% waiter, 25% on-the-road problem solver(wait the hotel you book us into actually doesn't have any rooms?!)... oh and 25% pilot.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2010

Originally Posted by theken View Post
One thing to remember is even if the pay is annoying, and union issues are prevalent, in a airline all you do is fly. Thats it. On the charter side you have no real dispatch, no real customer service, nothing. Its all you. Your job is realistically 25% kiss-ass, 25% waiter, 25% on-the-road problem solver(wait the hotel you book us into actually doesn't have any rooms?!)... oh and 25% pilot.
You can teach a monkey to fly. Some of us prefer the challenges and change-ups that come with running the whole show.
Old 05-02-2012, 08:57 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2011
Position: CJ4 manager/pilot

Originally Posted by theken View Post
As someone who came from 135/91/Fractional to the Airlines I would not want to go back anytime soon.
As someone who went from the airlines to 91, I will say the exact same. Couldn't pay me enough to go back to the airlines.

I enjoy the challenges of making it all work on a day to day basis. Actually using brain power instead of sitting there like a robot doing the same routes day after day.

Oh, and more money, no commuting, more time at home, flexible schedule, good hotels, free food, and variety of destinations.
Old 05-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: King Air 200 CA Hawker 800/900 FO

Originally Posted by DirectTo View Post
As someone who went from the airlines to 91, I will say the exact same. Couldn't pay me enough to go back to the airlines.

I enjoy the challenges of making it all work on a day to day basis. Actually using brain power instead of sitting there like a robot doing the same routes day after day.

Oh, and more money, no commuting, more time at home, flexible schedule, good hotels, free food, and variety of destinations.
I agree too. While working 135 charter isn't always an easy job, I certainly enjoy the challenges that it presents. It certainly beats the constant hub and spoke shuttling of 121. Granted you will still get to know quite a few airports quite well; TEB and HPN come to mind for East Coasters. If you've had any type of service job before it's no different and attention to detail is key.

One of the things I like is that if we're in a city for a few days...waiting for the return for the charter or awaiting orders, we usually get a chance to go out and explore cities meet up with friends for dinner, etc. Rarely did I ever have time for that on min rest 10hr (if your lucky) overnights with the airlines.
Old 05-03-2012, 12:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2011
Position: Left seat

Former airline here, I left 5 years ago and never looked back. I actually cringe when I need to airline somewhere to fetch one of our airplanes, luckily that is far and few between.The only downside to owner/charter flying is the tips, and fringe benefits such as free numerous sport game tickets I recieve. Just joking!
Old 05-04-2012, 07:44 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2008
Position: King Air 200 CA Hawker 800/900 FO

Looked on their website earlier here's what they're asking for mins:

H400/H800XP PIC
3500 TT
2000 PIC
250 PIC in type
1500 ME
300 Instrument

H400/H800XP SIC
2500 TT
1200 PIC
500 ME
150 Instrument

See these guys a lot in the Northeast a lot especially over at Teter-hole.
Old 05-04-2012, 08:43 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: Olds 88, Left

Originally Posted by fjetter View Post
Looked on their website earlier here's what they're asking for mins:

H400/H800XP PIC
3500 TT
2000 PIC
250 PIC in type
1500 ME
300 Instrument

H400/H800XP SIC
2500 TT
1200 PIC
500 ME
150 Instrument

See these guys a lot in the Northeast a lot especially over at Teter-hole.

Also, Internal recs weight heavily, as in most cases.

As a former airline guy, I actually like flying 1 or 2 legs a day, trans-country, free food(I haven't paid for a meal in 3 days between bfast at hotel and catering), new cities (Class B airports and uncontrolled), HF oceanic flying, 1 to 8 passengers instead of 50 (and I don't 'kiss-ass', I am polite and professional as I was with my 50 passengers and I had several hundred dollars in tips last rotation).

Each job is different. Some people may like going from DTW to GRR 7 times a day for 4 days then go home. And that's OK! We can help provide information and help people make an informed decision.

PM me for more info.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2007

Originally Posted by RJcursed4life View Post
Also, Internal recs weight heavily, as in most cases.

As a former airline guy, I actually like flying 1 or 2 legs a day, trans-country, free food(I haven't paid for a meal in 3 days between bfast at hotel and catering), new cities (Class B airports and uncontrolled), HF oceanic flying, 1 to 8 passengers instead of 50 (and I don't 'kiss-ass', I am polite and professional as I was with my 50 passengers and I had several hundred dollars in tips last rotation).

Each job is different. Some people may like going from DTW to GRR 7 times a day for 4 days then go home. And that's OK! We can help provide information and help people make an informed decision.

PM me for more info.
Are you with TMC? I thought almost all the trips were Sentient, which strongly encourage their passengers to not tip the pilots.
Old 05-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Aug 2008
Position: Olds 88, Left

Originally Posted by ImperialxRat View Post
Are you with TMC? I thought almost all the trips were Sentient, which strongly encourage their passengers to not tip the pilots.
I will not discuss exactly who is a customer of TMC (or how much business comes from said customer); that is inappropriate and unprofessional in this setting.

However, in reference to your last statement: I am not sure if that is accurate or not (sounds like rumor or hearsay to me), but in my past experiences that statement is not correct.

Tipping is relatively rare for any customer. IMO, any tip is bonus and I am thankful every time I get a one.

As always, PM me for more info.

Last edited by RJcursed4life; 05-07-2012 at 06:31 PM. Reason: PM request
Old 05-12-2012, 08:08 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: May 2012

RJ, I am new to APC, and i can not send you a PM, but I have an interview with TMC on Tuesday, May 15th. Any hints, tips or advice you could offer would be very much appreciated. Thanks