Go Back  Airline Pilot Central Forums > Career Builder > Hiring News
Has anyone been hired with an Accident on their record? >

Has anyone been hired with an Accident on their record?

Search
Notices
Hiring News Latest news and rumors

Has anyone been hired with an Accident on their record?

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2005, 06:32 AM
AlohaFlyer

Default Has anyone been hired with an Accident on their record?

Is it possible to get hired as an airline pilot having had an accident early on in a pilot career? It is not on my FAA record because they removed it after 2 years and my completion of special remedial training. But now I have interviews with several regional airlines and don't know how to approach the subject when they ask me "Have you been involved in an accident or incident or declared an emergency?" Technically I have had an accident, but according to the FAA there is nothing on my record. Any advice out there?

My thinking is that I need to tell them and let them know that it was early on in my career and that I learned from it and have become a very safe pilot since then.

Old 07-01-2005, 07:14 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: B737 Captain

Aloha-

I think the answer to your question would depend on what the nature of the accident you were in was. Did an engine fail and you successfully glided onto a road where you hit some objects? Or did you run out of gas? In other words, how culpable you were and what was the seriousness of the accident.

Since it's off your record I would tend to believe it's not a deal-breaker, at least with some of the carriers you're applying to. Be honest, step up to the plate, and as long as you weren't a complete fool in causing this accident (and it wasn't too major), you should be OK.

A buddy of mine was just hired at a major airline last month, and he had an accident that was partially his fault. So if anybody tells you you don't stand a chance, get some other advice.
Old 07-01-2005, 01:16 PM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2005

Originally Posted by AlohaFlyer
Is it possible to get hired as an airline pilot having had an accident early on in a pilot career?
A good friend of mine was in the same situation several years ago. He had an incident when he was in the military that caused major damage to the aircraft. This very subject came up at his interview with a major. He was up front and honest -- said it was his fault and admitted to his mistake. He also told them he felt he was a better pilot now because he learned from his mistake. They hired him.

Honesty is always best. If you try to hide something, you will always be wondering "what if they find out about it now" for years to come. I also believe it could be grounds for termination if you lie on the app and they find out about it somewhere down the road. Besides, they most likely will find out when they do a background check and talk to your previous employers.

Just my opinion....
Old 07-14-2005, 04:14 AM
Self Employed.

Joined APC: May 2005
Position: Corporate Pilot
Default Accident

Sometimes it seems that a new hire must have some sort of accident or crime inroder to get hired at the majors. I know of people who have crashed planes and killed people and they got hired. I even know people who were convicted of major crimes and they got on. It is all in who you know.
Old 07-29-2005, 09:30 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2005

YES,
I have a friend who put a 206 down in a river in ALASKA and went on to horizon then Alaska Air. I know another who crashed a 1900 at seattle due to cargo load shifting and he went on to a major. I went to collage with a guy who geared up a semional and he is at a rejional. So yes you can.
Old 07-31-2005, 10:43 AM
AlohaFlyer

Talking I took your advice...

Well I took everyones advice and stepped up and talked about it in my interview. What happened in the accident is that I ran out of gas, totally my fault. I had 95 hours at the time and did some x-country flight planning training and learned from it. I told them in the interview that I am now a safer pilot because of all this... and they hired me. I am really excited. I am flying the EMB-145 now.

Aloha

Old 07-31-2005, 10:58 AM
APC co-founder

Joined APC: Feb 2005
Position: 747-400 captain

Congrats, Aloha! Thanks for sharing...
Old 09-02-2005, 06:18 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2005

Originally Posted by AlohaFlyer
I am flying the EMB-145 now.

Aloha
Wow, in one month you got an answer to your question, interviewed, got hired, sent to class, and your now flying the EMB-145 as an FO. HMMM..