Notices
SkyWest Regional Airline

Skywest

Old 04-23-2015, 12:23 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Originally Posted by Mercyful Fate View Post
I guarantee you that there will never ever be a mixing of the two pilot groups. If you honestly believe there is a stone's throw chance in hell, you obviously don't know as much about the upper management folks that you claim...
They probably won't do it while XJT exists in any significant form.

But if SKW went alpa, then a merger at least of lists would be likely.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:01 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2012
Position: It's hot out here.

Leverage from whom?
These guys.
SkyWest, Inc.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:05 PM
Prime Minister/Moderator

Joined APC: Jan 2006
Position: Engines Turn Or People Swim

Which if that were the case, what would be the incentive for the newer guys at SkyWest to vote in a union? So they could be pushed further down the list? Not exactly a good selling point...
No, it's not a good selling point at all. Anyone trying to sell alpa at SKW would have to explain how fences would protect the junior and mid-grade pilots. Or how a common-carrier petition from XJT could be deflected.

Anyone from XJT advocating alpa at SKW has an obvious conflict of interest.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

I could not disagree with you more....They know what side the bread is buttered on. XJT will either be sold off or vanish before any one of those guys would think a merge would be a good idea.
Most people know that OO is the profitable side of INC. That is mostly due to the poor contracts that were bought with XJT. What happens when the XJT contracts expire? There is no way to ever recoup the purchase cost by selling off XJT and its assets. These guys are all about money in the pockets. They are also accountable to the share holders.

A consolidated operating certificate, pilot group, aircraft fleet, training facility is practical. I cannot imagine that this option has never been discussed or considered. Maybe not next year, but within the next 5 years. I would like to see the 5 year plan. We will have 2 fleet types. CRJ / ERJ (not sure about the MRJ).
Old 04-23-2015, 01:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jul 2013
Position: 175 CA

They would need huge fences because the costs to train and force displace people would be huge. This discussion has been going on since expressjet was bought. Synergies would be a pro if you think expressjet will be around, and with all the 50s they have its not likely unless they become small and then the value of synergy goes down anyway. I agree it's all about money but they can't keep losing it either by pouring it into expressjet
Old 04-23-2015, 01:39 PM
Gets Weekends Off

The 145s and 200s will dwindle down even at low oil prices they are
Talking about it, see USA today for article that's about 300/360 aircraft for expressjet and there's no plans that I've ever heard of for 175s to go there. So if there's no demand for your supply what do you do?

I think expressjet pilots would probably find a home at Skywest one way or another but I don't think the planes will
Old 04-23-2015, 01:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Squallrider View Post
They would need huge fences because the costs to train and force displace people would be huge. This discussion has been going on since expressjet was bought. Synergies would be a pro if you think expressjet will be around, and with all the 50s they have its not likely unless they become small and then the value of synergy goes down anyway. I agree it's all about money but they can't keep losing it either by pouring it into expressjet
I have read here on APC (a beacon of FACT) that the attrition rate at XJT is approximately 70 per month. Not sure what the current number of pilots on the roster is now, but if that rate continues it won't take long for them to become small.

Synergy also includes economy of scale. Training Dept, HR Dept, Scheduling, etc. Everything consolidates. Skywest largest regional in the U.S. with 4 to 6 thousand pilots. A determining factor in contract awards has to be staffing levels. Definitely a feather in the cap.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:52 PM
Banned

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: EMB 145 CPT
Default Skywest

I guarantee you that there will never ever be a mixing of the two pilot groups. If you honestly believe there is a stone's throw chance in hell, you obviously don't know as much about the upper management folks that you claim...

It's not me who put those words in the annual report. Like I said, it's at least enough a concern from upper management folks to warrant them warning their shareholders about the risk of this forced labor merger they mention. So you can say whatever you want, but it wasn't me who ever mentioned any "forced" labor merger. It was all management who stated it as a concern. So I may not personally bet any substantial amount of money on it happening, but I would say it's more of "a stone's throw in hell" as you say.

As long as JA and CC is at the helm, there is no way that would happen.
I've always said, we are one CEO away from disaster.

Leverage from whom?

I believe he is talking about the risk factor mentioned by upper management in the annual report filed with the SEC.

Which if that were the case, what would be the incentive for the newer guys at SkyWest to vote in a union? So they could be pushed further down the list? Not exactly a good selling point...

Skywest voting in a union does NOT mean an automatic merger. There are examples of this at other regionals: PSA, PDT, envoy and TSA, compass, Gojet.

Can you answer this question, why are you so vested in this issue anyway?

Originally Posted by rickair7777 View Post
No, it's not a good selling point at all. Anyone trying to sell alpa at SKW would have to explain how fences would protect the junior and mid-grade pilots. Or how a common-carrier petition from XJT could be deflected.

Anyone from XJT advocating alpa at SKW has an obvious conflict of interest.

Again, a union, ALPA or otherwise does NOT mean automatic union. And this isn't where fences would be discussed anyway. That only happens AFTER a merger is decided upon. Not when deciding whether to go union or not. As for single carrier petition, the company is the one who fights that.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:53 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Squallrider View Post
The 145s and 200s will dwindle down even at low oil prices they are
Talking about it, see USA today for article that's about 300/360 aircraft for expressjet and there's no plans that I've ever heard of for 175s to go there. So if there's no demand for your supply what do you do?

I think expressjet pilots would probably find a home at Skywest one way or another but I don't think the planes will
I think you're absolutely correct. Maintenance costs are becoming high on the 200s and the 145s would be another type requirement for the OO pilots.

The E175 will probably not go to the XJT but I can see a shift of CRJs to the XJT side. OO operates the E175s and XJT operates the CRJs.
Old 04-23-2015, 01:59 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by skypilot35 View Post
I have read here on APC (a beacon of FACT) that the attrition rate at XJT is approximately 70 per month. Not sure what the current number of pilots on the roster is now, but if that rate continues it won't take long for them to become small.

Synergy also includes economy of scale. Training Dept, HR Dept, Scheduling, etc. Everything consolidates. Skywest largest regional in the U.S. with 4 to 6 thousand pilots. A determining factor in contract awards has to be staffing levels. Definitely a feather in the cap.
Economies of scale involves large number of aircraft (training costs/maintenance etc), if the 145 shrinks to nothing (believe its over a hundred coming off express jet) you lose economies of scale. If you eliminate or reduce departments that are associated with the 145 which is every department HR, scheduling,maintenance, training, then you lose all the synergy. If we merged with Expressjet, how would we gain syngery in the training department? We aren't suddenly going to fit 145 sims in SLC or cross train instructors, the cost would be the same because facilities and personnel wouldn't change. How many people are in our scheduling department now? Considering how long our bids come out Im guessing not many (joke).