Notices
SkyWest Regional Airline

Skywest

Old 07-07-2011, 09:11 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Feb 2011
Default Skywest

Does anybody know....after you get hired by Skywest, how long does it take before you get medical benefits? Thanks!
Old 07-07-2011, 09:26 AM
Airport Hobo

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Does anybody know....after you get hired by Skywest, how long does it take before you get medical benefits? Thanks!
The first of the month after 90 days of service. So it could be 3-4 months.

If you started Aug 15th (for example) then your benefits would start Dec
1st. 90 days would be about Nov 15th, so the first of the month after that.
Old 07-08-2011, 11:52 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2011
Position: A320

What a joke. Just another crap deal that the regionals offer. Real nice, 90 days of NO insurance. Should be the standard 30 at minimum.
Old 07-08-2011, 12:10 PM
Super Moderator

Joined APC: Jun 2006

It is not just the regionals. Continental is 6 months!
Old 07-08-2011, 12:25 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2007

I'm not sure I'd term what Skywest has as 'medical benefits'. You basically get to choose between an overpriced PPO or an awful CDHP plan.

We used to have an okay health plan but Chip away decided he really needed another addition to his house so he got rid of it for a nice bonus.
Old 07-08-2011, 01:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2006
Position: WB Bunkie

Originally Posted by XDriverX View Post
What a joke. Just another crap deal that the regionals offer. Real nice, 90 days of NO insurance. Should be the standard 30 at minimum.
You're probably the same kinda guy who tells the world Obama is killing our country....yet when it behooves you, you support unions and health care regulation I kid, obviously I don't know you, but a lot of pilots seem to speak out of both sides of their mouth.

Anyway, for what its worth, I've had the CDHP for 4 years and had no issues, granted I'm under 30 with no pre-existing conditions and I've only had to use it for a couple ugly sinus infections and one case of pnemonia....with the HSA allowances I haven't paid a dime out of pocket. That being said, the "perceived" loss of healthcare bennies at SkyWest was a real bummer for a lot of families....cousin Chip and his antics
Old 07-08-2011, 01:11 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Mar 2006
Position: SkyWest Capt.

Yep, only the regionals... your standard isn't so standard.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:16 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2009

Originally Posted by duvie View Post
You're probably the same kinda guy who tells the world Obama is killing our country....yet when it behooves you, you support unions and health care regulation I kid, obviously I don't know you, but a lot of pilots seem to speak out of both sides of their mouth.

Anyway, for what its worth, I've had the CDHP for 4 years and had no issues, granted I'm under 30 with no pre-existing conditions and I've only had to use it for a couple ugly sinus infections and one case of pnemonia....with the HSA allowances I haven't paid a dime out of pocket. That being said, the "perceived" loss of healthcare bennies at SkyWest was a real bummer for a lot of families....cousin Chip and his antics

The CDHP only seems to work well for young, healthy, single people with no kids... Most of the people here that switched to it that have kids and or health problems, wish they had stayed with our only other not so great choice.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Airport Hobo

Joined APC: Apr 2007

Not so sure 30 days is standard. Most places I've worked have been 60 days. I've only worked at one that was 30 days, and I can confirm that Continental is/was six months so it's not just the regionals.
With the reduced COBRA premiums and all the high deducible insurance plans out there it's not so bad to pay for health insurance for 3-4 months. Granted it could be a lot better.
Old 07-08-2011, 08:33 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jun 2007
Position: Beach Bum

Like others have said...not just the regionals. Most companies in the "non-airline" sector are 90 days as well. Besides 90 days is over before you know it and if you are worried then you can purchase your own for cheap for the 90 days or get cobra from your previous employer.

Although i do agree that "all" companies should offer medical from day one or 30 days but usually the reason it is 90 days is so the background checks come back for airlines and probation period is complete for non aviation jobs. If you were an employer would you want to pay for some moron who lied on his/her application and pay for his/her medical only to find out later he/she lied and you have to fire him/her. Waste of money.