Search
Notices
Flight Schools and Training Ratings, building hours, airmanship, CFI topics

162 Skycatcher?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2011, 07:20 AM
New Hire

Joined APC: Jul 2011

Yes the 162 has it's limitations but it has some pluses. I will start with the negatives. It has a lower useful load than other LSAs. The interior is sparse. It is hard to get.
The pluses are: It is a Cessna. The company has been around a long time and hopefully will be around much longer. The plane was tested way beyond what was required for LSA certification. The plane is tough compared to other LSAs. I know of many complaints about LSAs in flight schools that have had landing gear failures when side loaded by a student. It was built to be a trainer and it is a good one. The avionics are very powerful and prepare the student to easily move up to the G1000. So far I am very happy with it.
Old 07-10-2011, 07:34 PM
On Reserve

Joined APC: Jul 2011

Originally Posted by HuggyU2 View Post
To get back to your original post, I guess you are asking if it is safe to build time in. I'd have to say "yes".
My follow up would be "do you have access to another aircraft for about the same price?" If so, what is it? If not, go fly the Cessna.
If stalls scare you, then go get some dual time,... doing a bunch of stalls and slow flight,... in whatever you are flying until they don't scare you.

Without trying to threadjack,... for those of you that bought one, why did you get the 162? Other LSA offerings seem to offer so much more in terms of useful load, roominess, etc...
I have access to a few 172SPs with the g1000, and a/c but time building would be a little steeper in those(155 an hour). I am not afraid of stalls i just have not meet any one who has flown one, so i wasnt sure how it reacts. I live in north Texas its windy most the time, so i figure it would be alot of foot work.
Old 07-10-2011, 11:38 PM
Get me outta here...

Joined APC: Oct 2008
Position: Boeing right seat

Footwork is a good thing! Sounds like the 162 is your best answer,... unless you can find a taildragger... then you'll be talkin' "footwork"!
Enjoy!
Old 07-11-2011, 10:32 AM
Line Holder

Joined APC: Jun 2011

Embry-Riddle didn't have a too good time with there new Skycatchers at this years NIFA SAFECON. hehe.

I saw a few "for sale" signs on them by the end of the event. They still look cool though...
Old 07-17-2011, 03:31 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2008
Position: Grad school student - again...

I've given about 30 hours of instruction in the 162, and I'll say it is one of the easiest trainers on the market. It flies much better than the ol 150's of yore... Fuel burn is about 5 gph and it's so light that it is very easy to push around without a tug. My main complaint with the bird is the castering nose wheel. You HAVE to be on your feet regarding steering the plane on the ground. Other than that little gripe, it's a fun plane to fly. Although, after about 2 hours in the bird, it will start to get a little uncomfortable as the seats are not the nice ones that are found in better planes.
Old 07-17-2011, 11:37 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2011
Position: 737 CA

172skyhigh, where are you looking at in DFW that has a 162 for rent? I ferried a few down from ICT to DFW, if you're at where I think you're at it's a good school.