Notices
Foreign Airlines that hire U.S. pilots

EMIRATE FO's & $$

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2018, 01:36 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Sep 2013

https://youtu.be/Y-8b99rGpkM

All the money in the world means nothing if you don’t have your health. Additionally gas prices have gone up, VAT tax added and now newbies need a good conduct police certificate to get a visa.
Old 01-12-2018, 01:05 AM
Chasing A Dream

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Position: LR-45

Thanks everyone. I truly appreciate you guys sharing your experiences. One other question. During training, how is the aircraft assigned? Are you allowed to choose which airplane you want or is it assigned to you by age?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-12-2018, 05:49 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Jan 2016

Originally Posted by Boss Hoggin View Post
Thanks everyone. I truly appreciate you guys sharing your experiences. One other question. During training, how is the aircraft assigned? Are you allowed to choose which airplane you want or is it assigned to you by age?

They will assign you an airplane. When they give you the job offer they will tell you what airplane you will fly, however like everything else at EK it can be changed at managements whim and you have the choice to either take it or resign. It is not uncommon to be told you are being hired to fly the 380 and then being changed to 777 after you arrive.
They know you have resigned and moved and everything else and are now their prisoner for 5 years.
Good Luck. Best advice I can give you is to start saving to pay off your bond as soon as you get there.
Old 01-12-2018, 05:53 AM
Chasing A Dream

Joined APC: Apr 2013
Position: LR-45

Originally Posted by SEPfield View Post
They will assign you an airplane. When they give you the job offer they will tell you what airplane you will fly, however like everything else at EK it can be changed at managements whim and you have the choice to either take it or resign. It is not uncommon to be told you are being hired to fly the 380 and then being changed to 777 after you arrive.

They know you have resigned and moved and everything else and are now their prisoner for 5 years.

Good Luck. Best advice I can give you is to start saving to pay off your bond as soon as you get there.

Do they take your passport from you and hold it hostage?

How can I study for the assessment test?

Old 01-12-2018, 06:45 AM
Gets Weekends Off

I’ve given all the info I going to give. I’m not going to assist anyone in joining EK. I’d sooner assist a suicide. It’s very clear that all you can see is shiny airplanes and big dollar signs, so good luck with that.

The simple fact is that EK used to be a great company, when it was run by expats that understood that truly professional pilots dont really want to leave their countries to come to a third world sandbox and be treated like second class citizens just to fly for a supposed first class airline.
Now the airline is being run by a bunch of unqualified locals that don’t have the managerial skills to organize a gang bang much less run a supposedly first class airline,and think that living in Dubai is actually part of the allure of the job. Meanwhile the office staff is overstocked with a bunch of pedantic yes men who’s only real purpose is to make sure their friends and family get promotions while doing no actual work or contributing anything to the airline.
Dubai is running out of money,again, and it’s unlikely Abu Dhabi is going to bail them out again. The real pain for EK pilots has barely begun.
Old 01-12-2018, 03:08 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: May 2010
Position: Baja Vermont

God, not that hoary myth. No, it is your passport and since there are NO domestic flying, you need it.

Not advising EK, but let’s be honest, not scaremongers.

GF
Old 01-13-2018, 01:24 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat

SEPfield - "Emirates is not like Delta or United 777 flying where you do 2-3 Londons or Rios or Shanghais in a month and your done."

Only senior guys fly three trips and then are done. Four to five is most common and sometimes 6 shorter trips to Europe (DUB/SNN/LHR/MAN, etc).

Avg is probably 82-85 hrs for line holders.

For U.S. based flying S. America trips aren't for the faint of heart - 2200-0000 departure, land 8-10 hrs later. Return the following night departing around 2200-0000, landing 0400-0600.
Old 01-13-2018, 01:55 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Sliceback View Post
SEPfield - "Emirates is not like Delta or United 777 flying where you do 2-3 Londons or Rios or Shanghais in a month and your done."

Only senior guys fly three trips and then are done. Four to five is most common and sometimes 6 shorter trips to Europe (DUB/SNN/LHR/MAN, etc).

Avg is probably 82-85 hrs for line holders.

For U.S. based flying S. America trips aren't for the faint of heart - 2200-0000 departure, land 8-10 hrs later. Return the following night departing around 2200-0000, landing 0400-0600.
Is that 82-85hrs Block or Credit? EK is block, no such thing as credit.
Most EK pilots on the 777 right now would be ecstatic about an 82-85hr line with no turn arounds.

What’s their minimum days off? I’m sure more than 8
How much credit is a day of leave worth? More than zero?
How much credit is a day of training worth? More than zero?
Have those companies ever required a pilot to attend a sleep study because they called in fatigued?
How about undergoing alcohol cdt testing?
Old 01-13-2018, 04:07 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat

Originally Posted by SEPfield View Post
Is that 82-85hrs Block or Credit? EK is block, no such thing as credit.
Most EK pilots on the 777 right now would be ecstatic about an 82-85hr line with no turn arounds.

What’s their minimum days off? I’m sure more than 8
How much credit is a day of leave worth? More than zero?
How much credit is a day of training worth? More than zero?
Have those companies ever required a pilot to attend a sleep study because they called in fatigued?
How about undergoing alcohol cdt testing?
It's all assigned duty. Including DHD, etc. Long haul is almost 100% flying and DHD is a very small amount of the monthly flying.
The limit is typically 92-100+. Schedules avg 82 hrs year round.

Minimum days off isn't a factor. 100 hr month had 9 days off. Pickup was voluntary. 85 hrs would have been at least 12 days off.

Vacation gets credited at 3:40 per day. So a week's vacation would pay 25:40 and you'd be limited to flying 64 hrs(+/-) and system wide the average would be 57 hrs or less. Two weeks pays 51:20 and you'd fly 32-39 hrs. You can also extend your vacation, unpaid for four additional days. So each stand alone week of vacation can actually be 11 days. If you bid vacations at the end, or beginning, of a month you can get another 3-8 days in the adjacent month. So 2 to 2.5 weeks can be the expected break with careful placement of single week vacations.

Training is 4:00. Credit of 2:45. So five days of training is worth 20 hrs of pay but only 13:45 applies to the monthly limit if you want to pick up more.(I hope I didn't screw that explanation up)

Mandatory sleep study? Not that I know of.

Not sure what 'alcohol cdt training' is.
Old 01-13-2018, 06:23 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Originally Posted by Sliceback View Post
It's all assigned duty. Including DHD, etc. Long haul is almost 100% flying and DHD is a very small amount of the monthly flying.
The limit is typically 92-100+. Schedules avg 82 hrs year round.

Minimum days off isn't a factor. 100 hr month had 9 days off. Pickup was voluntary. 85 hrs would have been at least 12 days off.

Vacation gets credited at 3:40 per day. So a week's vacation would pay 25:40 and you'd be limited to flying 64 hrs(+/-) and system wide the average would be 57 hrs or less. Two weeks pays 51:20 and you'd fly 32-39 hrs. You can also extend your vacation, unpaid for four additional days. So each stand alone week of vacation can actually be 11 days. If you bid vacations at the end, or beginning, of a month you can get another 3-8 days in the adjacent month. So 2 to 2.5 weeks can be the expected break with careful placement of single week vacations.

Training is 4:00. Credit of 2:45. So five days of training is worth 20 hrs of pay but only 13:45 applies to the monthly limit if you want to pick up more.(I hope I didn't screw that explanation up)

Mandatory sleep study? Not that I know of.

Not sure what 'alcohol cdt training' is.
The point I am trying to make is that working for Emirates is nothing like flying long haul for a US based union carrier.

The average schedule Block at EK is 95hrs. That’s not picking up trips. That is your awarded schedule, It is not optional. That is the schedule you are given.
It is a mix of 1-5hr turnaround flights (yes 5 out and 5 back) 6-9hr long hauls, and 11-17hr ultra long hauls. Yes you can and many have beeen scheduled for all 3 in a single month.

There is no minimum days off at EK. They give you only the minimum days off required by the GCAA. 1 every 7, 2 off every 14.

There is no such thing as vacation credit at EK. You could take 7 days of vacation and still have a 90hr Block line. You don’t get days off in addition to vacation. 7 days of vacation will probably get you 12 total days off for the month.

There is no credit for any training event.

Also Augment time does not count toward your annual limits. The 1000hrs in 365 days. In the GCAA it is 900 in 365. Several pilots at EK have exceeded that limit because Emirates manuals say Augment time doesn’t count.

Several Emirates pilots were forced to take sleep studies and subsequently carry C-pap machines following fatigue reports.

Alcohol CDT test are used to determine how much you drink. It does not take much to elevate the levels. CDT testing is another intimidation technique EK uses. If Emirates doesn’t like your fatigue report, you can be forced to take a alcohol CDT test. Which can then be used to suspend your medical and enter you in to a treatment program.

Remember it’s not the terrible schedules, circadian swaps, and jet lag that are causing your fatigue. You obviously are an alcoholic with sleep apnea.