Notices
Foreign Airlines that hire U.S. pilots

Cathay

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2012, 11:47 PM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Nov 2009

Originally Posted by Sliceback View Post
CEFO - You'd turn a job down with Cathay if you were 22 yrs old and had 300 hrs TT?

Right...
You ever been to Hong Kong? Think you're going to survive on what they're paying?

Right...
Old 02-27-2012, 06:33 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Oct 2010
Position: Citation X

Originally Posted by Sliceback View Post
CEFO - You'd turn a job down with Cathay if you were 22 yrs old and had 300 hrs TT?

Right...
Im actually pretty close to 22 myself, and some fine guys who have been my mentors (1 who was a senior check and trainer on the b777 at cx) gave me the advice that building solid time early in my career was far more valuable than chasing the big jet cadet schemes. In my case itworked out extremely well. I think after a few years in HK on this deal you will be hating life. If you have that quality time flying smaller stuff (instruct, freight dog and regional FO) you never have to do it again and it looks great on a resume. Vs. Sitting in the back and watched the captain takeoff and land and when you sit in the window seat the autopilot has to be on. Not knocking SO's because their job is a valuable one but if that is what you go and do right out of college with no chance to learn how to "strap the plane to your back" and consolidate what you've learned could be a bad career move if you ever have to move on. That alone is why you shouldnt recommend it for a pilot fresh out of college. Oh and did we mention THE TERMS AND CONDITIONS SUCK! ITS THE MOST EXPENSIVE CITY IN THE WORLD TO LIVE!
Old 02-27-2012, 06:55 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Dec 2007
Position: Window seat

Originally Posted by CEFO View Post
So as a proffessional pilot giving advice to fellow aviators who are looking to progress in aviation you would say the cadet program would be a wise career move?

Define 'progress in aviation'? If you plan on staying at CX it's an option. If you plan on coming back to the U.S. it's a bad idea. If you hope to move to other carriers it's a bad idea since you'll be stuck there for at least 6-7 yrs (4 yrs SO and then time to build your FO time).

Would it be my first choice? No. Second choice? No. But if it's one of the few choices, or only choice, I'm not going to pretend some kid should choose McDonald's over CX. Reading a post yesterday about a guy that waited 6 yrs to get his first job. SO would have been a better deal.

Yes, flying, especially when you're new at it, is important. When you're 50 yrs old with 10,000 hrs being FB(relief pilot) on a random basis is no big deal.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:05 AM
Gets Weekends Off

Joined APC: Apr 2011
Position: CW20
Default Someone at Cathay City woke up....

and figured out that pilots can often work for less to be assured a chance at some sort of "future." Given thier history, the status will remain the same until they can't crew the jets.....